• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need Suggestions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

IceReaver75

Registered
I have been think of going to a dual boot system with windows and Linux but am kind of confused of what linux version to go with. My computer specs are as follows:

AMD Sempron Thoroughbred B 2600+ Processor
PCChips M848ALU Ver. 2.1 Motherboard
On Board Ethernet Connection
Nvidia GeForce MX400 128mg Graphics Card
Seagate 200 gig Hd
Western Digital 40 Gig HD
DVD Rom/CD-RW Combo Drive
Emprex ide 16x DVD Burner

What Linux version should I go with and is the most user friendly for a first time user. Any help will be appreciated and thank you.

I would suggest you try Ubuntu. It is pretty easy to install and is pretty easy to maintain once installed. It comes with a nice package manager for installing / uninstalling / upgrading all your software, etc, etc. I think it is a really nice distro for starters and it is flexible enough you can do pretty much whatever you want with it.

http://www.ubuntulinux.org

I think I will give this a spin, going to try the live version first. I have dabbled with Linux before, but been a while. If I like I may dual boot with it.

Good idea, you can try an Ubuntu liveCD to see if it is something you would like to install and give it a real test.

This maybe a stupid question but should you do the duel boot on one hard drive and just split the partitions or is it possible to run a duel boot with 2 different harddrives? If its better to do it one one its not a big deal since this is a pretty fresh install I have now since I just put this system together not too long ago.

You can do it either way, it doesn't make a huge difference. It would probably be easiest just to put Linux on a completely seperate harddrive but you could install both OSes on just one harddrive.

If you run this off the cd, where does it store the files? In memory? Burning the cd now.

BTW IceReaver75, welcome to the forums, enjoy your stay. :)

Alright thanks for the help. Just been kind of interested in linux and thought id give it a try. Ill just install on another hard drive. And thanks for the welcome.

Just finished messing around with the live cd version, not bad, seems smooth and has enough to mess around with to get familiar with it, so I guess I will go ahead and install and do a dual boot. I did have one problem though, I couldn't connect to online, don't know if that was a live cd thing or not, but I configured my ethernet cards so... :shrug:

The day after....

Lol, I gave up on trying to install this last night, for some reason I kept running into partitioning problems, now I'm trying to install it again (different pc) with a good online manual I found about installing.

I do have to admit, when I tried Suse a year or so ago, the install was a lot easier, but after messing around with the live cd on this distro I think I will like this one better. Hopefully I'll get it going.

I got it downloaded last night and burned to disk but I havent tried installing it yet. Have to wait until Monday to try as I am out of town for the weekend. Hopefully your install goes better and you get it running. I burned mine at alow speed cause I've heard the install could go bad if you burn at a higher speed. Hopefully I dont have to many problems when I try.

I got it installed ok, but having a few problems connecting to the internet, I assume it has something to do with my router.

I always burn my cd's at low speed too, I have read that before to that burning at high speeds can sometimes cause problems, so waiting a couple minutes longer is not a problem for me :).

Back