• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need the best laptop I can get for 600$

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MorePower!

Looking for a laptop recommendation. I want to spend 500 - 600$ on a fast laptop with an SSD. It doesn't need a graphics card. Would prefer 8 or 16 gb of ram. Refurbished would be ok I think. Mainly I'd be using laptop for browsing but I might buy this software for running multi tree'd computations that requires a lot of ram.

You can browse Amazon, ebay, NewEgg for units with the features you want. I would get something with at least an 8250U i5. Asus, HP and Dell seem to produce good units. I'm not impressed with the build quality of most Lenovo products.

For $600 you will be hard pressed to find something new with more than a 256 gb SSD and 8 mb RAM. Personally, I just add my own parts to those baseline units to get what I want. I would add a bigger SSD and increase the RAM amount after purchase.

Last edited:
I would recommend getting the refurb directly from the OEM (i.e. Lenovo, Dell, etc). Got my dad a refurbished laptop off of Newegg and the experience was poor. It had a HDD from a OEM in it, and the partitions had not been renamed. I'm not sure if the recovery was correct or not, but I'm guessing maybe not. Had other problems and while trying to work things out the BIOS stopped recognizing the drive at all. The RMA/warranty process was fine though, but I just feel less confident about some random place playing mix and match with broken laptops and selling them as refurbished, but YMMV.

Back