• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need to choose between 2 Asus mobos, Intel 945 or P965 chipset for value gaming rig?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Toshvan

Registered
Need to choose between 2 Asus mobos, Intel 945 or P965 chipset for value gaming rig?

Hello ppl.

I plan to do a as inexpencive as possible PC, based on the new Intel Pentium E2160 cpu (it's Core 2 Duo CPU with just 1Mb L2 cache) and I'm considering which Asus mobo can do the job for the least ammount of money.
Will I loose to much performance wise if I go with Intel 945 chipset and Asus P5PL2-E motherboard or Intel P965 chipset and ASUS P5B motherboard would be the right way to go?
The price difference would be almost 50%

PC will be used for general computing and some gaming.
Pls give me some input, I really need some clue on the performance difference between those two Asus motherboards...

Damn,

all I was able to find on the net is this review on chinese, translated by google... :p

P.S. Link doesn't seem to be working ok, only manual google translation works.

Surprised no one even mentioned this, but the C2D will not even work with a 945 mobo. You have to go with at least a 965 chipset in order for it to work.

Also, Cuthbert has no clue. The p5k is an all around better board then the p5b. Go with the p5k.....

Thats not altogether true, C2Ds will work on specific 945 boards. The final runs of the Asus P5LD2 ( rev. 2.01G ) could run Core 2 CPUs

~ Gos

Back