• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need to learn everything about HDD's

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I'll answer any specific question you have.

Slave and Master comes from sticking two devices on one channel. In order for that to work the devices have to work together. In this case, it's done by having one device be the master and the other the slave. Some devices work better as master (eg cd burners), with others it doesn't really matter.

As stated Master and Slave is a name for two drivers working on the same cable. For instance my drives use a basic IDE Ribbon Cable that has 3 plugs, 1 that goes to the motherboard and two more for the drives. To make my 160GB HDD the master over my 80GB drive all I had to do was connect it to the last plug on the wire and use the a shunt on the rear HDD jumpers which tells the drive it's master. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harddrive May be a bit hard to understand but has some great info.

Back