• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need updated bios for MOBO

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mitchr84

Registered
I'm using an older system still and need help locating the updated bios for the following mobo;

Chaintech Nvidia VNF4 Ultra, Zenith SE edition. Bought back in 04/05 from newegg. Any help with this would be great!

Good luck. The company is now called Walton Chaintech and it doesn't seem they are any longer in the motherboard business.

Good luck. The company is now called Walton Chaintech and it doesn't seem they are any longer in the motherboard business.

Exactly. It's been difficult to find anything? I've been reading old forums and posts and people will talk about downloading it from Chaintech (real helpful now :bang head) as well as community forums of people who, back in 2004-2006 would e-mail one another the files but never posted a link to a current data base. Every link I find is dead or redirected to unrelated sites.

Any other thoughts?

Just curious, mitchr84. What are you trying to accommodate with the bios upgrade?

TorqueRanger, have you tried those links to actually download the bios? I tried the first two and they take you around in circles. Looks like they are trying to get you to register for some fee-based download service which may or may not have what you want. Used to be you could actually get old drivers for free but now most all of it is fee-based. Yuk!

Last edited:
Just curious, mitchr84. What are you trying to accommodate with the bios upgrade?

TorqueRanger, have you tried those links to actually download the bios? I tried the first two and they take you around in circles. Looks like they are trying to get you to register for some fee-based download service which may or may not have what you want. Used to be you could actually get old drivers for free but now most all of it is fee-based. Yuk!

My point was to show him that its not that hard to find the right bios ... You just have to search using the right phrasing

Precisely. I have some common sense and it wasn't a matter of turning up searches. The aforementioned links are all p2p if you want to download and even still, are those files good? A friend of mine and I tried one of those sites for something else a while ago and the files we obtained weren't even related.

Trents, I'm trying accomodate an Opteron 165 with the upgrade. Right now with no bios upgrade it's recognizing it as a "Unknown Hammer Family Processor" and will not run stable at anything past stock. When I do ctrl+alt+del at startup I only get one CPU menu. So I think it's just running single core at 1.8ghz right now. Friend of mine had my same setup -> Opteron proc, VNF4 Ultra board with OCZ ram and was cranking some serious numbers after his bios update. :comp:

Precisely. I have some common sense and it wasn't a matter of turning up searches. The aforementioned links are all p2p if you want to download and even still, are those files good? A friend of mine and I tried one of those sites for something else a while ago and the files we obtained weren't even related.

Trents, I'm trying accomodate an Opteron 165 with the upgrade. Right now with no bios upgrade it's recognizing it as a "Unknown Hammer Family Processor" and will not run stable at anything past stock. When I do ctrl+alt+del at startup I only get one CPU menu. So I think it's just running single core at 1.8ghz right now. Friend of mine had my same setup -> Opteron proc, VNF4 Ultra board with OCZ ram and was cranking some serious numbers after his bios update. :comp:

Well did you try the links first??? Yes certain ones do run you around but i found a couple that works and you also need to find out which bios ver you have already have... Why can't you get the bios update from your friend???

Last edited:

Appreciate those links, one of them actually worked and seems legitimate. However, the next search is for the awdflash.exe utility? I'm either having blonde week or they really are difficult. Some useful information though;

BFG's VNF4 Ultra board uses the exact same bios. The Mod Number is VN61F210C on the Chaintech, it's VN61F210 on the BFG. A .bin file includes VN61F210==>VN61F211 and has relevant notes on updates.

Any of you guys know where I can download a relevant flash program? Uniflash.exe is the only thing I've come across and I can find very little about it. Although the notes suggest that the community which developed it has had overall good success, though limited.

UPDATE:

To those who shared links and sent me pms, I really appreciate it. I managed to flash the bios and not only were both cores recognized, but so was all of my ram! At any rate, I was running the computer buzzing along great for about four hours until...

I attempted to run CPU-ID and it froze.

Now, a little history. About a year ago my computer started having freezing issues when you would first start World of Warcraft. Sometimes it would not want to power on and the power light and fans would flash (as in, run just long enough to get the fans spinning and shut back down). I'd repeat this three or four times and eventually the system would power back on. Sometimes you'd repeat the freeze/shut down windows and restart 3-4 times before World of Warcraft would run. Right before it dies there's a loud beep.

These exact symptoms started again last night except it started with CPU-ID, then became Nvidia ntune...next thing you know, I couldn't even get past the Windows XP load screen. Each time, right before it would power off you'd hear a loud beep.

Anyone able to help me trouble shoot this?

When it started a year ago did it act that way with any other games? If so I might suspect a PSU problem with the video card sending it into "overload" because of a bad PSU.

The next thing I'd think about would be drivers, maybe video but possibly chipset, being corrupted somehow.

Plenty of other things that can cause problems that way but that's where I'd start looking ...

When it started a year ago did it act that way with any other games? If so I might suspect a PSU problem with the video card sending it into "overload" because of a bad PSU.

The next thing I'd think about would be drivers, maybe video but possibly chipset, being corrupted somehow.

Plenty of other things that can cause problems that way but that's where I'd start looking ...

Well, about a year ago (and I didn't consider this) my wife bought me a couple gigs of ram to add to my old ones. I removed the two older 512 sticks...and it runs flawless now.

The only issue I'm having now is that my audio doesn't work. It wont detect them and I did enable it on my bios. Downloaded the latest drivers for it, still no go.

On-board audio or a sound card?

Either way, you might try (soft) uninstalling (in Device Manager) then reboot and point the hardware wizard to the location of the new drivers - but be sure to lose to old drivers first ... ;)

Yeh, if grimlins got into your ram (VERMIN!), aka you got some corrupt data which could have been stemming from bad ram (the sticks you removed that made everything work) , it could have corrupted a driver or registry entery.. I would try what QI recommended, if everything else seems in order.

Some boards require a front panel connection on the audio header or jumpers to send the signal to the rear output. Does yours have either?

Back