• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need Upgrade Adive!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NMkiD

Registered
Hey fellas, since you guys are gurus here I wanted to ask your advice on the following upgrade option that I have avaliable to me.

I currently have an Alienware (past expiration) with a P4 1.8Ghz CPU and a ASUS P4B266 P4 DDR motherboard with 1Gig of PC2100 Ram from crucial.com

Now this guy I know is selling a Athlon XP 2600+ 333FSB 2.09Ghz and an MSI KT4V Motherboard and I need to know if this is a descent upgrade from my current setup.

I use my computer for mostly gaming and internet stuff, so thats where the most important uses will be.

I also have a ATI brand Radeon 9800 and I know my current mobo it only 4xAGP whereas his is 8x but there is other stuff like my mobo supports a 400Mhz FSB and his is only 333.

I just need some practial advice, I know its a AMD vs Intel thing and I don't really know what the difference is betern a AMD2600 and a P41.8 because I know AMD uses that wierd 2600=2Ghz crap and it throws me off.

Also I need to know if there is certain kind of ram I need to buy for it or a better ram for gaming, etc. I used to just use 1gig PC2100 and it didnt seem different from the previous 512mhz you know, also I'm on a budget obviously so I cant buy like the best ram out there or I'd just buy a brand new system you know, heh.

Uh, also can I just swap the stuff outta my current case and plug this stuff in or do I have to reinstall windows and everything because that might be alot of trouble.

My Current Specs:

1 | DRAGON FULL-TOWER CASE SILVER
1 | ASUS P4B266 P4 DDR
1 | INTEL PENTIUM 4 1800MHZ 478 PIN
2 | 256 MB DDR PC 2100
1 | 512 MB DDR PC 2100
1 | SEAGATE BARRACUDA 40GB:9R3002-301
1 | MAXTOR 140GB HARD DRIVE PARTITIONED
1 | ATI RADEON 9800 128MB
1 | PHILIPS 4.1 DYNAMIC EDGE AUDIO
1 | 1.44MB FLOPPY DRIVE BLACK
1 | MICROSOFT XP HOME OEM
1 | KOOLMAXX COOLING SYSTEM
1 | 340 WATT POWER SUPPLY

Anyway thanks for your adivce fellas, I need it.

Laterz!

How much $ are we talking about, if you want to quickly and painlessly switch to something better for dirt cheap and keep your old RAM and everything else and cruise to 3x00+ speeds.

$69 mobo:
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-180-046&depa=1

$78 CPU
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=19-103-400&depa=1

if you don't have a compatible heatsink, you'll need that with the CPU.

If you want to spend $, throw out the digits and people will recommend a system accordingly.

The guy is selling his stuff for $120 I was gonna give my sister what I have now my p4 (build her a better system) and upgrade mine or if it wasnt as good as what I have already I was just gonna buy it for her and build her something with that.

You would save $27 over what I suggested in post #2 and you would get half the cache (that's a 2600+ T-Bred , not 2600+ Barton), non PCI locked mobo, and an average 2.3 GHz overclock vs. 2.5-2.7 GHz overclock you can get with the mobile Barton.

For your reference 3200+ runs at 2.2 GHz but even though your RAM is PC2100, your high Barton overclock will put you way in the 3x00+ range.

Also, that Soltek mobo is PCI locked, inexpensive and one of only three AMD nForce2 mobos that post high range multipliers which you would need with your PC2100 RAM.

MHz speed = FSB x multiplier

The other two are Abit and DFI nForce2 mobos. They're better than Soltek but cost more. Do you need RAID, etc...?

Go for it, that isn't too shabby. PC2100 is a lot slower, but if you are on a budget, it would be ok. You will notice a difference, and eventially upgrade more then that.

I would definately go for a mobile 2500+ and a nforce board. Get something like a SLK900 or SP-97 if you have any extra money left over. :)

Hmm guess theres a lot I dont know about this stuff after all, I guess I have a budget of about $250, this includes money for ram, what would you suggest that blows my p4 1.8 Asus P4B266 away.

I think I might tell that guy nevermind afterall, if I can get some much better stuff somehwere else.

I dont think I would need RAID, because I dont really know what it does and I dont have it now heh.

Thx fellas, this helps me out alot.

I say grab a nice board, like an NF7, and a mobile 2400+. Then grab 512mb(or 1024mb budget permitting) of PC3200 or 3500 ram. You will also need a good power supply, an on-brand of at least 400w, such as a sparkle, fortron or enermax.

www.newegg.com is a good place to buy hardware if you live in the US.

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!

i know most of you can hit all these high speeds with the mobile bartons but dont go telling someone that dosent know a whole lot about overclocking that he can get those speeds, i dont mean to say not to overclock! but just keep in mind that you might not get what everyone else is getting your first try. i would advise getting a nforce2 mobo and a 2500 mobile barton. this would be a good combo for you to use if you want to overclock and it would have the otential to get high speeds in the long run as you get better at overclocking.

hmm i just relized something he(or she) never said if they wanted to overclock this system, so NMkiD did you want to O/C your new comp or just have it run at stock speeds? eatherway this is a great plase to get advice and help and to get to know computer better.

I used to come here back in the day because I had a Pentium 300a that was a sick overclocker, man those were the days haha, for now tho I would like to stick with regular clock speeds and not really overclock, so basically when I'm looking for a better system then my current config I want something better right out of the box you know.

Thats kinda why I was looking at that guy's AMD setup for $120 but I'm thinking now it might not be worth the trouble if its only a little bit better, so I just might buy it for my sisters computer and get myself something else a little later, I still havent decided yet.

But hell I might be able to get a much better setup with a nforce motherboard and a better regular clocked cpu for about the same price, my budget is around $250 so maybe if I search around on newegg or something, I'm just not that well versed with AMD cpu's anymore obviously.

thx fellas

Back