• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Needing new cooling solution

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gag706

Registered
Hi everybody. Here's my set up:

Processor: AMD FX-9590 - Black edition
CPU Cooling: Corsair H110 280mm
Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2.0
Video: MSI N760 GeForce GTX 760 4GB 256-bit
Memory: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16 GB (2 x 8) 1600
OS Drive: Samsung 840 EVO 128GB
Storage Drive: WD Black 2TB
Power: EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G2 1000W
Case: Corsair Carbide Series Air 540

At the moment I have three chassis fans and two CPU fans. The CPU fans are pulling in air through the H110's radiator. I have two chassis fans pulling from the front, and one pushing out the back. After reading some, this doesn't seem very efficient.

My computer has been freezing up and I started monitoring temps. It turns out my CPU and socket are overheating and causing it to freeze. I bought some higher efficiency fans to put on the radiator, and a spot fan for the socket. I just bought those, so I haven't tried them yet. Any advice?

Unless you're heavily overclocking, you shouldn't be getting anywhere near temperatures causing the system to freeze. You should probably double check the installation of the H110, it's probably not installed on the CPU correctly.

Oh. No overclocking. It's underclocked at the moment to keep it from freezing. Could the "GOO" not be rated for that much heat transfer? How would I know if it's not installed properly? Uneven application? Is it possible that the radiator has slowly been losing coolant?

Download the installation instructions from their web site and go through the process again.

This is with the CPU underclocked to 4GHz

When I put it back to 4.7GHz, the socket can hit 80C + and CPU 73C under load from P95.

monitor_post_pass7.PNG

If you're seeing 65° sitting idle, then you have a problem. Either your cooler is installed incorrectly, internally clogged, or the water is not flowing through the system because of a failed pump.

That's under load from P95 also. Sorry I forgot to mention that.

Well then, the freezing isn't because of heat then. You have another issue. 65°C is well under the temperature that will cause freezing. Even when set to 4.7 GHZ, 80 °C is a little high, but I don't think that would cause freezing either. You may have bad memory or something. Start with a memory tester and check that out first.

I moved fans around a bit and it's keeping the CPU about 15-20 degrees cooler. Whether or not that was the problem, I guess that's a good thing at least. I have taken one stick of RAM out and ran memtest86 and after one pass, it had no errors. I decided to start up the system and see if P95 would crash it again (since it's a bit faster than memtest) and it hasn't yet, but it's only been going for 15 minutes. But so far, it's running better. So it may be the other stick.

froze after 38 minutes and 3 passes of P95. temp started to climb and it froze at 65C - socket, and 50C - core which seems low enough that it shouldn't be freezing due to that.

Trying the other stick of memory.
Edit: froze after 15 min. Temps were even lower. 57C, socket and 45C, core.

Last edited:
Back