• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Needs help finding the impossible fan connecter LOL

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kungfu

Registered
Hi ther guys I have a formula iv mobo and I am wanting to hook up some more fans but ...... i have been searching high and low to find a damn fan that has the 4 pin connect that fit onto my mobo ill i can find is the tiny 3 pin or 4 pin molex powersupply great big honking thing you know what i mean. I mean the 4 pin i am trying to discribe is 4 thin straight in a row pins that stick out from my mobo with a tiny thin bit of plactic underneath them so the the connect would need to curve around that like a squearish U shape

I hope that helps but jesus can anyone find me a 80mm to 120mm fan in blue LED with that connecter so that i can change the speed straight from my windows controller I f you can find one your my personal jesus :)

What you are looking for is a "PWM fan" like what Intel supplies with its retail coolers.

I can find two 120mm blue LED PWM fans:

Scythe Kama PWM blue LED
Thermaltake Thunderblade LED (also 80mm)

:thup:

Three pin fans will fit those four pin connectors quite happily, you just can't use PWM speed control on them.

yes its really wierd i odered a fan that you said to order and it came 3 pin and it fit into the 4 pinn mobo connecter how weird so that 3 pin is called a " PWM connecter right

yes its really wierd i odered a fan that you said to order and it came 3 pin and it fit into the 4 pinn mobo connecter how weird so that 3 pin is called a " PWM connecter right

No, that would be a standard 3-pin motherboard connector.

what i mean is the mother board has all the fan slots are 4 pin with a little guide slot behind the pins and this 3 pin one i bought fit perfectly weird ehh but it said it was a PWM connecter i just thought they where 4 pined

The motherboard connector is indeed a PWM connector, that fourth pin is the PWM line.
PWM mobo connectors work for non-PWM fans, and PWM fans can plug into non-PWM mobo connectors too, you just don't get PWM.

what is PWM then and how come i cant find loads of companys that make fans for them to be PWM conntrolled and is the PWM meaning that it can be rPM controled is that right thanks guys

is there adapters that i can plug into this 3 pin to make it work with the PWM connecter on the mobo thanks again guys

to be frank i really NEED and cant find any neon uv or not uv fans that have to be blue neon and obviously be PWM connetors if any of you guys are able to find any that would rock hardcore

let me know

Fans can use neon or LED bulbs, these may produce white or colored light of varied brightness (some are bright in daylight, some only appear in relative darkness), or UV "light" (ultraviolet, invisible, reacts with UV REACTIVE "devices".
I do not know where you are (where your market choices are).
The simpliest combination would be to buy LED fans with UV reactive frames and use "neon" "cold cathode" UV illumination.
Cold cathode (I think there are LED UV light kits too) would make any reactive "device " shine or light up.
Any web site caterring to case modding would offer varrious versions of the above,
Enermax offers fans with swithchable multicolor options.
Generally a fan referred to as 3 and 4 pin will have a 3 pin motherboard connector and a 4 pin molex (power supply) coonector. These can be on one wire or use adapters.
PWM fans use a 4 pin motherboard plug, speed can be varied by sending full voltage but intermittent power to the fan motor (the 4th lead).
Three pin fans have ground, power, and rpm information leads, any speed control reduces voltage to the FAN motor.
There are various control options faor these.
There is a large assortment of UV reactive and LED lighted devices.

Back