• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Network Noob, What do I need?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hypnos

Hey guys, I am looking into starting a network in my barracks room (free electricity rocks!) to string together my laptop, an old p3, and a new Athlon. I want space to expand in the future as well, as I am piecing together a farm, and usually have several comps running (multitasking).

All of them would be folding, and 2 used for Gaming (SWG). I have a broadband connection, and as of now it is jacked straight into my Lappy. Any help on equipment selection (cheap but effective) and advice on setting it all up would help me a ton.

Is your internet connection on a LAN or is it coming in via a DSL or Cable modem? If you have a cable/DSL modem then a router is what you need. If it comes straight in from a LAN then a 4 port switch/hub should do fine - just plug the incoming LAN into the uplink port and plug in your computers.

So by 4 port it means I can connect 4 comps correct? (I have Never worked on networks, just used them) and the 10/100 switch is Ethernet, but when I start the farm will I need a new router? or can I expand by getting a larger one and linking them?

David said:
Is your internet connection on a LAN or is it coming in via a DSL or Cable modem? If you have a cable/DSL modem then a router is what you need. If it comes straight in from a LAN then a 4 port switch/hub should do fine - just plug the incoming LAN into the uplink port and plug in your computers.

It is a Cable modem connected Via my laptops Lan port.

If your looking to expand in the future, I would recommend a 10 port switch/hub. That gives you plenty of room to expand upon that one, for quite some time. It also gives you room, for other things, like if friends come for a LAN party ;)

Do any switches have built-in firewalls or will it all have to be software? (I have been under the proverbial rock for a while) And would it be advisable to run both if it does indeed have a built in Firewall (or rather, if there is any switch that does have a good firewall).

I tend to be a security freak, so putting all of my comps together is kinda new territory when it comes to protecting them.

If you start off with a 4-port router you can link up additional hubs and switches as required. Usually hubs and switches have uplink ports for this purpose.

Hypnos said:
Do any switches have built-in firewalls or will it all have to be software? (I have been under the proverbial rock for a while) And would it be advisable to run both if it does indeed have a built in Firewall (or rather, if there is any switch that does have a good firewall).

I tend to be a security freak, so putting all of my comps together is kinda new territory when it comes to protecting them.

Many routers come with firewall functionality, at least basic NAT. I'm sure the two linked a few posts above have NAT.

Thanks for the help guys, I now need to get to shopping, lol

Edited-because I totally missed the newbie guide that is a sticky /slap forehead.
:eek:

Last edited:
When you say barracks you are probably in the Military, (Or in the Boy Scouts...LOL)

Anyway, first check with the guys at Base COM shop or MWR. Many times they have free wireless routers, Hubs or routers that they can give you or rent you. Also, you may already be close to someone else's network that they set up on base that you might be able to use with permission. (You are better setting up your own though...I wont get into why.)

Back