• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Network transmission speeds

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TombKeeper

I was wondering something....

If gigabit networks can only run 125MB/s....what would be the best/ideal hardware setup to give you the highest chances of attaining those speeds. For example, would the nf4 939 boards with pcie gigabit lan connected via cat 5e/6 cabling and using sata2 HD be the best solution? Or is that overboard since you can't actually reach the 200MB/s due to gigabit max being 125MB/s??

Also, i also guessing that transmission speeds would also depend on the receiving computer as well, right? There's no point sending 125MB/s if the other comp can only 'receive' 100MB/s....am i right?

And, what is the point of PCI-x network cards if gigabit can only reach 125MB/s - or is because you can use fiber optic or something expensive like that to reach higher speeds (versus copper)?

You can't reach 200MB/s with sata2, since there is no single harddisk in existence which delivers those speeds. You need a RAID array or solid state disk for that. A RAID5 array _might_, but just might give you the full speeds.

A nf4 system however is a good idea since a Gigabit NIC attached as a PCI device only can't run at the full 125GB/s. A PCI-E device can deal with it however.

Yes yes, overall speed is only as fast as the slowest link in the whole chain. THis includes both, sender and receiver.

You also want quality network cards. No cheap realtek stuff. Probably no built in NICs either.

klingens said:
You can't reach 200MB/s with sata2, since there is no single harddisk in existence which delivers those speeds. You need a RAID array or solid state disk for that. A RAID5 array _might_, but just might give you the full speeds.

A nf4 system however is a good idea since a Gigabit NIC attached as a PCI device only can't run at the full 125GB/s. A PCI-E device can deal with it however.

Yes yes, overall speed is only as fast as the slowest link in the whole chain. THis includes both, sender and receiver.

You also want quality network cards. No cheap realtek stuff. Probably no built in NICs either.

nf4 pcie gigabit lan is good, but then you say no built in nics? or do you mean no builtins except for pcie gigabit type?

No I meant no builtin nics unless you know they're good. Intel makes good NICs. Realtek makes bad ones for example

Dunno how good a nvidia nf4 one is.

Oh...ok. That would be why a gigabit lan adapter from Intel is like $160CDN whereas others are about half the price - thought it might just be name brand price hike....

Back