• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New 120hz TV, Lagging

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kohta

Hey guys i need some advice about a TV i just picked up last night, it is a Hisense 50" 120hz LED 1920x1080 TV, now i came from looking at only monitors the last 8 years, Yes this is the first time i have owned a TV since HDTV standard was component. My PS3 was going through my Monitor via HDMI and it looked incredibly good.

Now with this TV i think i have hit some sort of wall, i know i shouldn't be comparing a monitor and a TV, but i notice some flickering pixels (best way i can explain it) that exist on a still image background of the PS3 XMB, when i play a game that piel flicker goes away but in The Last of Us, for example, when you turn your camera it's like all the colors get darker (only while moving) it's likely this is an effect of motion blur but it almost feels like there is a bit of ghosting happening (response time?), i have 120hz activate and i notice if something isn't 120hz it will have that frame skip issue here and there, but what gets me is it isn't all-the-time, it's about every minute or 2 or if i face certain directions within the game (it's almost like lag or frame rate drops) but when it isn't happening i can clearly see the 120hz effect (you know how stuff almost seems sped up after having a 60hz divice?) Now this game is set to run at 60fps. I can understand if this werethe game dropping to something like 56 or 55 fps and the TV having to frame skip, however when i play a Blu-Ray, i get choppy scene the same way i do in the games, and it happens in all of my BluRay movies, Tangled, Hunger Games, Epic, Tron, Iron Man etc. (The PS3 is my only BluRay ability)

Now, with normal TV, Digital Channels, like the News brodcast in HD does not suffer from any of the above things, it looks amazingly perfectly, so i want to say its some sort of conflict with or between the PS3 and TV.

My Settings on my PS3 for BluRay were changed using this guide, with the exception that my Color Range is set to "Full" Because limited looks very washed out.
http://www.ign.com/articles/2008/12/12/optimizing-your-ps3-for-blu-ray?page=3

This is the HDMI cable i have, i think i paid like $4 for it, and about that much to ship it too lol, Maybe it is the cable? It worked fine on my monitor.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812339005

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Hisense-50K610GW-50-1080p-120Hz-Class-LED-LCD-HDTV/22660153

Is there a game or PC mode in the settings? This usually disables some post-processing and things and lowers the input lag. Also if you are using the effects of whatever your TV calls it (Samsung calls it Auto Motion Plus) where it inserts frames in between to cause a smoother image in motion (a la the soap opera effect), try turning that off.

Make sure if you set the PS3 range to full that your HDMI black level on your TV is set correctly as well.

Is there a game or PC mode in the settings? This usually disables some post-processing and things and lowers the input lag. Also if you are using the effects of whatever your TV calls it (Samsung calls it Auto Motion Plus) where it inserts frames in between to cause a smoother image in motion (a la the soap opera effect), try turning that off.

Make sure if you set the PS3 range to full that your HDMI black level on your TV is set correctly as well.

yeah it's called "120hz Smooth Effect" i have kept it on because i thought that was how i get 120hz, doesn't this make it return to 60?

yeah it's called "120hz Smooth Effect" i have kept it on because i thought that was how i get 120hz, doesn't this make it return to 60?

Your panel may be capable of 120hz, but very few processing boards are. You'll only find true 120hz TVs in the high end of the consumer market. Also note that a PS3 cannot output over 60hz; in fact most TVs won't accept an input over 60hz or 60p. What this means for you is that for every frame a 120hz TV is given at 60hz, it displays the frame twice since it refreshes twice as fast. A 120hz TV has an advantage that it can play multiple hz (24hz, 30hz, etc) input and not have to do any frame interpolation. At 24hz the panel refreshes 5 times for each frame (120/5) or 30hz for 4 (120/4). This is in contrast to 72hz plasmas for example, which have a hard time with 30hz content and has to interpolate frames in order to make it smooth.

The 120hz Smooth Effect really has two features, and Samsung is one of the only companies to distinguish between them: blur reduction and judder reduction.

Is there a game mode setting on your TV?

Just a video setting but it only effects color, brightness etc.
My options under Menu are;

Picture
Picture Mode (Presets: Game; Theater; Vivd etc.)
Brightness
Contrast
Color
Sharpness
-Advanced Video
Color Temperature (Cool)
120Hz Smooth Effect (On)
Dynamic Backlight (DCR) - Low
Adaptive Contrast - On
Overscan - Off

Audio-No need to list it really
Channels (For Antenna/Cable)

Settings
Language
Menu Settings
Time Setup
HDMI CEC
Network (Wired/Wireless connection)
Power LED(The Logo light)
Reset Default

Thats pretty much it, i have tried changing everything on/off and the only real difference i see is the 120hz smoothing, it makes my movies look alot better, until it pans very quickly and then it judders.

But my biggest issue is, for example in Tangled, there is a scene where she comes out of the tower for the first time and everything in the scene look fantastic and incredibly clear, however when the camera moves, the contrast between light and dark on the screen appears to "flicker" In the last of us this poses a huge issue because the camera moves constantly and there is alot of dark and light contrast, so it looks like the scene is shaking.

EDIT: So basically this TV does 120hz, but it basically emulates the effect? (Its really 60hz?)

I feel pretty stupid, i figured out what was causing the bad flicker, the sharpness was on 10, i changed it to 5 and it eliminated that flickering i was talking about.

Before
[---------|---------]

After
[----|--------------]

Now i do see the frame skipping in some (not all) the motions, you described this as "The soap opera effect"? That is extremely minor and it happens here and there (In BluRay's) However many games have a Motion Blur effect and it makes stutters when it is motion blurring, it's hard on the eyes for games, but movies look great, and the only time it's hard on the eyes is when i'm very close up it actually looks more like lag in a game, which right now i am, this TV is actually my PC monitor until my wall mount arrives, and it makes a terrible monitor by the way, really hard on the eyes.

(Sorry if that sound confusing i tried to edit this like 5 times to add more info in)

Seems to me that some of the TV settings are being affected by the game. For gaming, I would set Smooth Effect Off, DCR Off, and Adaptive Contrast Off. Use the in game setting for Motion Blur On or Off to your liking.

Back