• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New 4400+ causes Dual Sata2 to lockup randomly?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Fangs404

My brand new 4400+ (89W version) arrived today from Newegg (I guess they had a hidden batch somewhere, so I hopped on it - I just checked, and it's no longer listed). I haven't updated my sig yet, so you can see my previous system. My previous system (the 3500+ Venice) was 100% rock-solid stable. I could play games or Prime95 all day, and I'd never error out. The only change to the system in my sig is the processor.

Now, I installed the 4400+, reset the CMOS, and attempted to boot up at 250x10 with 1.4V vcore and ram volts set to high. HTT isn't the problem (set to 800mhz). My ram is running at its rated speed, and I've tested it with memtest, so I know the ram is not the issue. I have the latest AMD dual core driver and dual core optimizer. I'm running XP SP2 Pro with all the Windows updates. This is not, however, a clean install. I just swapped the CPUs, and Windows did indeed pickup the new CPU just fine when I booted up. I figured this isn't necessary since my 2 roommates that recently upgraded their machines to dual cores didn't have to reformat either. If I have to, though, I'll try it.

It was all running fine for an hour or two, and then I decided to run some benchmarks. 3DMark06 finished fine, and I wound up around ~4900 which is right around where I should be. Then, I figured I'd run 3DMark05 just for old times sake, and during the first CPU test, it froze. Well, I dropped it down to 240x10, and 3DMark05 got further, but it froze during the last test. Then I tried dropping it down to stock speeds (200x11). No good. Even at 1.4V, I'm having random crashes. I've been browsing these forums or talking on AIM, and it'll just lock up. I don't know what the deal is. The ram checks out fine, and I'm definitely applying enough juice (1.4V is generally enough to hit 2.5-2.6, let alone run at stock speeds).

What's even odder is that I've run ORTHOS for 30 mins, and it didn't balk at me at all. However, if I stop ORTHOS and then open up Firefox or something, it'll crash 3 mins later. Heat is also not the issue. When I was running at 2.5ghz, I had CoreTemp open whilst ORTHOS was doing its thing, and the load temp never went above 50-55C (I love you Zalman :)).

I shot an e-mail to ASRock's tech support, but I thought I'd ask you guys, too. Any idea what the crap is going on? This is utterly frustrating. I can't imagine it's a bad CPU because as I understand it, you either have a perfectly working CPU or it's toast and doesn't even post. There's no in between. So do you think it's my board, or do you think it could be something else? Thanks for your help!

Fangs404 said:
My brand new 4400+ (89W version) arrived today from Newegg (I guess they had a hidden batch somewhere, so I hopped on it - I just checked, and it's no longer listed). I haven't updated my sig yet, so you can see my previous system. My previous system (the 3500+ Venice) was 100% rock-solid stable. I could play games or Prime95 all day, and I'd never error out. The only change to the system in my sig is the processor.

Now, I installed the 4400+, reset the CMOS, and attempted to boot up at 250x10 with 1.4V vcore and ram volts set to high. HTT isn't the problem (set to 800mhz). My ram is running at its rated speed, and I've tested it with memtest, so I know the ram is not the issue. I have the latest AMD dual core driver and dual core optimizer. I'm running XP SP2 Pro with all the Windows updates. This is not, however, a clean install. I just swapped the CPUs, and Windows did indeed pickup the new CPU just fine when I booted up. I figured this isn't necessary since my 2 roommates that recently upgraded their machines to dual cores didn't have to reformat either. If I have to, though, I'll try it.

It was all running fine for an hour or two, and then I decided to run some benchmarks. 3DMark06 finished fine, and I wound up around ~4900 which is right around where I should be. Then, I figured I'd run 3DMark05 just for old times sake, and during the first CPU test, it froze. Well, I dropped it down to 240x10, and 3DMark05 got further, but it froze during the last test. Then I tried dropping it down to stock speeds (200x11). No good. Even at 1.4V, I'm having random crashes. I've been browsing these forums or talking on AIM, and it'll just lock up. I don't know what the deal is. The ram checks out fine, and I'm definitely applying enough juice (1.4V is generally enough to hit 2.5-2.6, let alone run at stock speeds).

What's even odder is that I've run ORTHOS for 30 mins, and it didn't balk at me at all. However, if I stop ORTHOS and then open up Firefox or something, it'll crash 3 mins later. Heat is also not the issue. When I was running at 2.5ghz, I had CoreTemp open whilst ORTHOS was doing its thing, and the load temp never went above 50-55C (I love you Zalman :)).

I shot an e-mail to ASRock's tech support, but I thought I'd ask you guys, too. Any idea what the crap is going on? This is utterly frustrating. I can't imagine it's a bad CPU because as I understand it, you either have a perfectly working CPU or it's toast and doesn't even post. There's no in between. So do you think it's my board, or do you think it could be something else? Thanks for your help!

Did you test at stock speed and voltage starting at 1.300v? Did you work it up in small increments until it failed. What BIOS are you using? Does it pass SuperPi 32 mb? I had to make slight RAM adjustments when I swapped CPUs, nothing major. Are you running 1T or 2T?

You don't need to reformat, I didn't.

Last edited:
Well, it's definitely stable now. I wound up reformatting last night just to be able to rule out some sort of driver conflict or whatever, and it's totally stable now at 2.5 (250x10 1:1) @ 1.4V. God knows what was wrong yesterday, but it's 100% stable now. I'll be running benchmarks all day just to make sure, but I think this fixed it. Thanks for your help, though!

Back