• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New $600 Build Help (Any suggestions/thoughts/opinions?)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Barty1884

Hi everyone, first time poster.

Looking to build my first desktop. I'm 99% sure I've read enough to know what I'm doing as far as putting it together, but compatibility and the best parts within a budget is where I'm struggling .

Hoping you guys can help, with opinions on the parts I've selected (quality/compatibility etc) and suggest revisions if needbe.

I'm aiming to keep within a $600CAD budget (ideally including an OS, but that might be pushing my luck).
Would be general use, media centre etc, no real 'gaming' (I only play Football Manager 2011 FYI) but I'd definitely like to get the best "bang for my buck".

Case: TBD
PSU: TBD
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-B85M-D3H
CPU: Pentium G3450 Haswell
GPU: GeForce GT 720
Network: Bluetooth / Wifi
HDD: WD Black, 1TB
RAM: 16GB G.Skill AEGIS
SSD: Already own 240GB Samsung EVO Pro

Obviously my RAM is overkill, but I figured why not. I could drop that to 8GB to help the budget out a little bit, and upgrade later.

I'm around $500 already with the items listed, with a case, PSU and OS still to go.

Does anybody have any thoughts/suggestions that would be budget friendly? Or anything I'm missing?

Thanks in advance guys!

Thanks for the reply!

So, it's all compatible? Any suggestions for changes? Or is that about the best I can do for $600ish?

I don't see any issues, just buy a "quality" psu, your going to want about 400 watts, read reviews at jonnyguru.

Finally, I'm going to be building my new desktop this weekend.

Heading to pick the parts up on Friday, but in my double-checking, I think I've come across an issue.

Parts / Prices (in CAD$)
Motherboard: MSI A88XM GAMING $144.99
CPU: AMD Athlon X4 860K $92.99
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaw X $124.99
HDD(s): WD Black. 1TB $94.99
CD/DVD: Some Samsung thing $21.99
SSD: Already owned. Samsung EVO.

Question #1 relates to the GPU & Case...
GPU: Radeon R9 280 3GB $209.99
Case: Silverstone Red Line $59.99

The case description states 7 expansion slots, up to 11.5 inches. By my research, the GPU is 11.7 inches. Does this present a huge issue? Is there any way around it? Or do I need to rethink either the case or the GPU?

Question #2 relates to the PSU
PSU: Corsair CX750 Modular $94.99

Unless I'm mistaken, the GPU is what will be drawing the most power. The description for the GPU states a 750W PSU is required.....but it seems overkill to me. Any thoughts?

Otherwise, general thoughts on the build? Anything I'm missing? (Total cost is now pretty much $1,000 - started at $600-$700! Oops!)

I wouldn't go the AMD route over that Pentium, and certainly not with an MSI board. Your link to the ram is broken, but judging by the price, I'm guessing it's 16GB, which you won't likely need. Knock it back to a solid 8GB kit, go with the board and CPU in the OP, and go with a standard desktop GPU like the 720 in your OP to keep it under $600. You could get away with an EVGA 500B easily.

Really though, for $600, especially since you already have the SSD, your best bet would be to grab a prebuilt ASUS desktop or something, and add the 720 and SSD. I would go with this, this and this.

Back