• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New AMD Machine

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

OC-NightHawk

I still have my Core i7-5930K but I've since updated it to two GTX 1080 cards in SLI. I'm pretty happy with it but I wanted to try my hand in the AMD side of things since I have never actually played with an AMD machine since the high school graduation gift computer with the 500MHz K6-2.

I reused some of the parts I had lying around like the case, drives and the V8 GTS cooler I had sitting around. The rest is new including a ASUS Crosshair VII Hero WIFI, Ryzen 7 2700X, 16GB DDR4 2400 (I know crappy RAM but it will hold me over until I can put in the intended 3200 speed RAM next pay check), MSI GeForce GTX 1080TI Gaming X (This card is positively massive) and a Thermaltake ToughPower Grand RGB 750W.

I used Artic Silver 5 for the thermal compound.

I just got it put together today and managed these results on Time Spy with a modest overclock on the graphics card and the motherboard BIOS set to do a moderate automatic overclock. https://www.3dmark.com/spy/4244493 The machine did very compared to my intel gaming machine which admittedly hasn't been benched in a while because it hasn't changed since then. https://www.3dmark.com/spy/1007935 Not bad for the AMD being air cooled up in a loft on a 105F/40.5C day.

I'm tempted to grab another GTX 1080 TI Gaming X although to be honest I saw an email in my inbox about Nvidia having a press conference on the 20th when my machine first booted. I have 30 days to return the graphics card. If the new card gets announced and thrashes this one I'll take it back and buy that new card.
Gaming Rig 2018.jpg
Look how long that graphics card is. It's the longer then the width of the motherboard!

Here is the desktop

Gaming Machine 2018 Desktop.PNG

Edit:

The question I wanted to ask but got side tracked on is does anyone have advice on how to overclock this board manually. It has way more options then the MSI X99A SLI Plus has. It's overwhelming.

Last edited:
I'd like to hear how much of an effect your swapping the DDR4 2400 to DDR4 3200 has on your benchmarks when you do it.

I'd like to hear how much of an effect your swapping the DDR4 2400 to DDR4 3200 has on your benchmarks when you do it.

No problem. I'll get a bunch of different bench marks done so you can see before and after, just not today because the AC is on the fritz and the repair guy doesn't come until tomorrow. It figures too because it's hot and I'm melting.

This is the settings that the Ai Suite 3 came up with through it's testing.
Ryzen2700XAsusCrosshairVIIHeroOCSettings.PNG

This is the results of the CPU test for Cenebench. The 2700K even with DDR4-2400 RAM did very well in my opinion. It was within spitting distance of a 10 Core Intel Extreme processor! Considering my 2700X cost me $269.99 and not $1723.00 I'm impressed. Granted that Intel processor is discontinued from mid 2016 but still. Forget the Core i7-8700K which is a current processor left in the dust and it costs more. AMD is back! https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/intel-core-i7-8700k-benchmarks.html
Ryzen2700XAsusCrosshairVIIHeroCinebench.PNG

I got the memory upgraded with a 32GB DDR4-3200 kit from Frys today.

The LEDS on it synced right up with the Asus board as soon as it booted which in my opinion has the thing looking very sharp.

On the performance side so far I have got them up to DDR4-3000 which isn't really too bad considering that they are a set of four sticks from one package. Tomorrow I'll attempt to get them stable at 3200MHz speeds.
IMG_1560.JPG

I have the speed up to 3000MHz for the new RAM. Almost everything looks fine but I noticed in HWMonitor that the max CPU speed looks way off.

I'm on air cooled so I seriously doubt I actually got 8.3GHz. Could that be a memory issue causing the false value to be reported? Is this a major cause of concern?
Ryzen2700XAsusCrosshairVIIDDR4Upgrade.PNG

HWMonitor will not report Ryzen info correctly is my understanding. Use Ryzenmaster for that but I here it's not wise to use RM for overclocking.

HWMonitor will not report Ryzen info correctly is my understanding. Use Ryzenmaster for that but I here it's not wise to use RM for overclocking.
Ok so that is a known software issue with HWMonitor and not instability in my machine? :clap:

I have got my processor a smidgen higher on the overclock from 4.07GHz to 4.08GHz and I have the DDR4 memory I installed very stable at 3000MHz. Before pressing forward I want to figure out how to save my BIOS settings so I can revert to them if I need to.

I went ahead and ran the Cinebench R15 test again and it seems like there is some diminishing returns in going from DDR4-2400 to DDR4-3000 with a gain of only 25 points. This inches the 2700X closer to the 6950X with only a 12 point difference. If I can get my RAM to DDR4-3200 speeds maybe I can encroach another 5 points or so.
Ryzen2700XAsusCrosshairVIIHeroCinebench3000 Snip.PNG

This proved to be really to get up to DDR4-3200 speeds. I still have to run prime to stress test the system and ensure the memory is stable at 3200MHz but the results are promising. With this speed of RAM and at 4.08GHz the 2700X is 5 points away from the Core i7-6950X. I am very happy with these results so far. :attn:

To recap:

4.07GHz with DDR4-2400: 1790
4.08GHz with DDR4-3000: 1815
4.08GHz with DDR4-3200: 1822

Ryzen2700XAsusCrosshairVIIHeroCinebench3200 Snip.PNG

So today I purchased a water cooling kit. I have the radiator and the pump/reservoir installed. I got the Hard Tube Bending kit and a 1500Watt heat gun. I managed to destroy the tubes trying to get the tubes shaped. In the process I realized that the tubes the kit came with were way too short for my case.

So I ordered three sets of four 1000mm long ID 12mm OD 16mm tubes. Now hopefully in the 12 tubes I can get 4 tubes bent that function and look nice without holes forming in the bends. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CVOLDTO/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Any tricks of the trade for bending the tubes would be much appreciated.

The radiator is 360mm and pretty thick. You can see the brackets that came with the case to mount the radiator onto and then mount the brackets to the case.
jLsHsAE.jpg

This is a shot of the Ryzen CPU on my Crosshair board, because well I just like the look of the CPU. :D
DNSEl7N.jpg

The water cooler kit parts in place. I just need to get the tubes bent now.
HH3fVV7.jpg

Silly as it is, for now I put my heatsink fan back on with the water cooling parts there but unplugged until the tubes arrive and I can try again. I just really hope I don't manage to fail at making these tubes. :(

Last edited:
Looks great! That coolermaster though:clap: masculine!

BTW, I get 624 on 4ghz in r15(4c/8t)

:rofl: it’s easy to install with long thin feminine fingers. I never thought of it as a masculine heatsink fan. I like it because of the colors and the heat pipes are very effective. But come on in the View 91 I have to do water cooling or what is that entire case for? ;)

The cooler will cycle back to my LGA 775 P5N-D. I intend to use Vista 64bit to try and get Mech Warrior 4 running. I’m hoping Vista won’t be an issue. I don’t have a copy of 64bit XP. If Vista doesn’t work I’ll just hope XP can recognize whatever the 32bit limit of memory is from 8GB and not simply refuse to start at all.

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

Looks great! That coolermaster though:clap: masculine!

BTW, I get 624 on 4ghz in r15(4c/8t)

What CPU do you have?

Vista is beautiful! I'm still running her!
I'm on 1366. i7 920:chair:

There is nothing wrong with that. :D A core 2 Quad is still very effective for day to day tasks and any i7 is faster then it.

Is that the first i7? I think that is a good score for it. No promises when but when I do get the Core 2 Quad up and running I’ll get it’s scores.

Cool! Thank you, Sir, I climbed out from under the :chair: it's the first gen. c0 stepping.

I'm so itchy to get x5670(Xeon) for it, but it's of no use to me at this time :( taco must resist and save those 27 dollars for something more practical.

This is the settings that the Ai Suite 3 came up with through it's testing.
View attachment 200824

This is the results of the CPU test for Cenebench. The 2700K even with DDR4-2400 RAM did very well in my opinion. It was within spitting distance of a 10 Core Intel Extreme processor! Considering my 2700X cost me $269.99 and not $1723.00 I'm impressed. Granted that Intel processor is discontinued from mid 2016 but still. Forget the Core i7-8700K which is a current processor left in the dust and it costs more. AMD is back! https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/intel-core-i7-8700k-benchmarks.html
View attachment 200825

Firstly, AI Suite isn't very good (at least in my experience/opinion), but it does work. Yea these 2000 series Ryzen chips are powerhouses on a budget, certainly team red is stepping on team blues toes with them. The only thing the 8700K has on any of these 4 newer AMD chips is 1080p gaming, which is old news as a resolution in my eyes. I game at 1440p and there isn't a real difference between the 8700K and my 2600X (other than near $200 in price), except I can actually live stream on twitch @ 1080p flawlessly with no notable FPS drop in game while the 8700K can't say the same for itself. Once 7nm Zen hits the market next year the 1080p gap probably won't be very noteworthy either if even existent.

Great looking build, can't wait to see some hard line sexiness in there next!

Last edited:
Back