• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Barton update

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ble81

I had a scare last night!!!!!!

I was playing around with my FSB trying to see what this New Barton 2500+
chip would do. Well I found that as I was bumping up the FSB numbers my system would of course give me better post numbers but I don't think I was working this the right way. I was bumping it up using ONLY the FSB #.
Here's the long and short of it. I started at 166 FSB and a multi of 11 (I left the multi at 11 so I will not type it in here). I did this in single digit bump - ups. 167, 168, 169, 170 ........ 180. no problems with the system at this point. I decided to start writing down progress when I got to 185 FSB.
So 185 = 2039.02, 186 = 2050.02, 187 = 2061.02, 188 = 2072.02, 189 = 2083.02, 190 = 2094.00 191 = system crapped out!!!! :bang head

At the 189 point I got a registry error so I bumped the Vcore volts from 1.60 to 1.65 with no problems. 190 gave me a registry error and I bumped the voltage again to 1.75. That one posted with no errors at all either.
So I thought why not try for more. 191 (X 11 still) Registy error again so I set the voltage 1.80. My system crashed big time!!!! It wouldn't come up and I was hitting the reset button - Nothing.... Powered down....Nothing....
I am thinking I just got this chip TODAY and I F***** it up already!!!!
I kept trying it and trying it. I finally got my system started and was able to start it at 1100 Mhz with not much promise but I thought lets try to under clock it and see where it will go.... so I was at 100 Mhz FSB and started to bump it up at least to stock. so in increments of 5..... 100 - 120 went fine.
Still using multi of 11......120 = 1324, 125 = 1379.34, 130 = 1434.30..... anyway all the way up to 160 FSB which gave me 1764.01 1.65 volts

I tried 162 and the system started to act kind of funny so this is where it reached it's peak. I couldn't even get it to stock now!!!! :bang head So I was like Dam!!!! :bang head It seamed like after I reached it's former peak of 190 ( 2094 FSB ) my system was a little off normal. Now in my earlier post I had to do a bios flash to get this thing working right and when my system messed up I got a small virus on my system ( maybe it was just internet related but maybe not)
Anyway my AVG caught it and destroyed it before anything could get out of hand and start doing it's work in my system.
So now I was thinking maybe something happened to the bios so I reflashed it to the original bios and restarted the computer.... I knew it would not work correctly but I needed to start the whole thing over... I did another restart and it gave me the CPU is unworkable error and I was able to get it going by pressing F1. I went to the Flash menu program again and re Flashed it with the new updated bios and restarted my system...Now it came up with the proper chip identification Athlon XP 2500+ and I was like WOW!!! I HAVE NEVER SEEN THAT BEFORE. So something worked! I then went back into my bios and set it to it's default setting (2500+(333)) 166 FSB multi of 11.
I felt pretty satisfyed with myself and left it alone and went to bed......
Now This morning I checked it out again and did a restart of my system and it posted the same way 2500+ with the 166 FSB speed @1830.06.
So I bumped it to 167 * 11 = 1841.07 I am going to leave it for a while. That was a close call and I am not too willing to have to go and buy another chip just to fry it.
So now question to the group after this ordeal is simply HOW DO I O/C this chip C O R R E C T L Y ????????? ---------- Here is a snap shot of my system. Abit KD7-E updated bios. Nvidia Inno3D GeForce4 MX 440. Memory is PC2700 DDR 333 512M. It probably doesn't matter but I have a soundblaster Live Value soundcard. a 56K v90 Modem and a 10/100 network card in my system.
I am running a partitioned 100 GIG HD a 54X CD rom and a 48 x 16 x 48x CD-RW drive. and yes I have a pretty light inside of my case. I modded it with a window that I cut using a nibbler. I think it looks pretty good. you cannot even find the end of the rubber molding that I used to put the window in with. Anyway long and short of it is I read that even if this chip is locked it can be O/C to 3200+ so someone in the group please help me out to get this speed or maybe the whole collective group. I think that I can get there but I am at the end of my knowledge on this. PLEASE HELP!!!

Last edited:
what brand of memory are you running? when your system initially crapped out at 190 fsb you might have reached the limit of your ram.

pc 2700 runs at 166x2=333 you pushed it to 190x2=380 that's not bad for pc2700. especially if it was at stock voltage. did you try upping the voltage to your memory? you might be able to get it to boot stable at 190 if you do.

you might also want to consider some pc3200 if you plan on ocing, as it will give you more headroom on your fsb. hope that helps ya :)

I believe your ram is stopping you. PC2700 is rated for 166(333) fsb, and you were running it above spec. If your chip is unlocked you can change the multiplier to allow for higher speeds. If its locked, you will need PC3200 to get to a 3200+.

EDIT: ARHG!!! You beat me to it.

Ohh, and if it ever stops posting again, just use the clear cmos jumper. That resets the bios to default settings. You can find it in your manual.

It's possible that your ram is topping out on you. My pc2700 does 210FSB no problem, but that's not too common.

However, I think that your major problem is the motherboard. The KD7-E mobo uses the via KT333 chipset (correct me if I'm wrong) and that only has support for 166FSB processors. As you begin to raise the FSB you also raise the PCI/AGP frequencies. The via chipset uses dividers not PCI/AGP locks. At the normal frequency of 166FSB your PCI/AGP is at 166/5 = 33.2 MHz. However when you overclock to 190/5 = 38 MHz. That tends to mess with the video card and hard drive a bit.

Re:

Yuriman said:
Ohh, and if it ever stops posting again, just use the clear cmos jumper. That resets the bios to default settings. You can find it in your manual.

Yes I do know about that and I did use it.....I guess I forgot to type it in my post - sorry.

Also how do I turn up the voltage in my memory?
I know it is in my Bios but where?

Back