• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Build 8.1 or 8.1 pro?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Grew up in Beacon Falls, college at Storrs, lived Mansfield, Willimantic, Beacon Falls, Waterbury.
Worked Danielson, Groton, Prospect, Cheshire, Waterbury. Know Torrington well.
Good to see progress.

OK, UConn...I went to U of H. Had job at Torrington Mfg for a while before getting into main frame computers and serviced in Hartford area as well.

- - - Updated - - -

Well I figured out how to do that for Windows 8.1 as detailed in post#10 of this thread. I ended up with an 8.1 ISO.
See if you can follow the same approach for update that followed 8.1 update, then post here if you succeed.

Let me look at post 10...Is there a reason we need to make a USB stick? Why not a DVD?

No reason. DVD is fine, with whatever's needed to make the DVD bootable.

you cant just make the USB drive bootable and straight copy the .iso file.

that would be like burning the .iso file (the data file) to a DVD and expecting it to work lol. the image file has to be IMAGED to the media.

you have to use a USB tool to image the .iso to the USB stick.

This: http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/html/pbPage.Help_Win7_usbdvd_dwnTool

it says it's for win 7, but it will work with any .iso file. just browse for it

You can use the software to create a bootable usb-contained iso, but you don't have to.

I used instructions something along the lines of these last time I installed 8 and it worked just fine (I already had the iso). You're essentially just formatting the usb stick and copying the iso contents to it.

Last edited:
the key there is the iso CONTENTS. which is exactly right.

dont want people thinking they can just copy the whole container, that is the .iso file.

Well, imgburn makes a bootable DVD for me. So that is why I just asked why I needed a USB stick.

The first time I used a USB stick was because I had run out of blank DVDs. Then I realized it was faster/re-usable. Haven't looked back since.

first time using a USB stick was when re-installing the OS on an ultrabook with no DVD drive.

the install was crazy fast. dont think I'll go back to DVD installs unless I have to.

OK, but I have been using DVD RW's so I can erase them. I can try a USB install.

You may want to try windows 10. I have it on 3 of my machines and so far I like it..

Can I just d/l a full ISO? I understand that there is only 1 version...none of this PRO Basic, etc. I would love to try that out as a stand alone install!!

Last edited:
Windows 10 is still temporary Beta software release for testing purposes, I'm not sure this is the best way to go for a main build...

Windows 10 is still temporary Beta software release for testing purposes, I'm not sure this is the best way to go for a main build...

OH, I know, but for a quick test of a new build it could be fun to play with for a few days....if the ASUS Z97 Pro supports it at all. Not sure, if I did try it what MS would do when the final is released. Will it be free to testers of discounted?

Beta testing works for a limited time, then gets deactivated. You may not even be able to keep it after the final comes out, you would probably have to do a fresh install of the final. There are no discounts.

The Tech Preview is good for 6 months. However, there is quite a bit software that wont run on it. Quite a few AV programs won't work, and CPUZ, and Hwmon will not work, either.If you were installing on a spare machine, go for it, but I would not run it on a main rig.

I am starting to agree, especially on a new build. If something did not work it would be hard to say if it was a new component or the OS!

OH...it was posted that 8.1 basic only supported 16GB memory and PRO supported 32GB. The MS site shows 64 bit Basic as 128 GB and PRO 512 GB. I think they were thinking of Win 7. Any comments? Am I OK with BASIC after all?

Last edited:
Comment is that all versions of Windows 8 (unlike Windows 7) support a massive amount of RAM for 2014. You're not going to get anywhere near Windows 8 limits in the foreseeable future.

Comment is that all versions of Windows 8 (unlike Windows 7) support a massive amount of RAM for 2014. You're not going to get anywhere near Windows 8 limits in the foreseeable future.

Great...Z97 seems limited to 32GB anyway!

Back