• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New build after a long hiatus

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TonyMc

Hi everyone.
Been a while since I've been on here.
My watercooled, copper piped monster I built a few years ago is starting to show it's age so I got the build bug again and decided to go for it. This time I got that weird RGB bug and kind of went overboard.
Here is the list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/8LNycY
parts not shown are the ones I'll be using from my old PC(HDD/SDDdrives) and the Enermax T.B RGB fans.

Oh and the GPU I actually bought back in Nov during the black Friday deal when you got the card for $499 and a free copy of Destiny 2 which I never cashed in on... The current GPU prices are stupid high right now :/

My only questions would be have you considered a 144 mhz v. 60 mhz refresh rate monitor and one with faster than 5 ms response time? I'm not much of a gamer but I read on this forum often that those who are say those parameters really make a difference in game play and I would think that is more true with a larger display like you are getting. And I also assume you have thought about going with a 4k monitor and decided against it for the time being.

Probably, but I bought the monitor a while back so I'm kinda stuck with it, but yeah, your right. Not the best for gaming. I will switch it up for a 4k in the near future, but the 34" 3440x1440 res makes for a pretty great "immersion" experience when simming(I play a lot of American truck sim, TS20xx, and TSW heavy haul).

If in the near future you are intending to go with a 4k monitor then you really should go with the GTX 1080Ti if at all possible. Most will tell you the GTX 1080 just isn't quite adequate for good 4 k gaming. I know, I know! Video card prices are through the roof right now because of the mining craze.

Yeah 4k may be pushing it. To be honest the 1080 struggles a bit with 1440 at stock speeds, but I don't play pvp FPSers. I mostly play simmers and RPGs so as I long as I can hit 40-60fps consistently I'm ok and I run vsync because I cannot stand tearing. I may drop back to a 1080 as long long as it's large(32" plus) and step up to 144hz, but since I bought this one not too long ago I'll probably stick with it for a while so I don't take such a loss on resale...

for me I see two things I might think about.
#1, the drive, 250 gigs is a little small for a gaming drive, 500 gigs is about right for me. NVME might be a bit of a waste, for a game rig about the only time you'll notice an NVME drive is at boot, I'd go 500 gigs even if budget forced me to get a sata drive, if the budget takes a bit of a back seat, hop right in, I have to rigs with NVME boot drives, sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet boot times..

#2, RGB, either light stuff on the board or stuff on the case, not both, it can get way to bright and very hard to get to look good. so if you go with the RGB ram, I assume the 1080 is lit also, that should be enough.
I did RGB everything in two builds and then took a lot of the RGB out of them because they kind of looked like the circus moved from the parking lot in town into my office.

The NVME is for OS only. I have storage SSDs and HDDs in my current PC that I'll be using...

Yeah. I've done the research and understand it doesn't benefit games at all other than some slight load speed. I got it just because it's new tech and a feature on the mobo. It definitely won't benefit me for what I'm using it for which is why I got the EVO over the PRO version, but I figured why not.
Oh and I didn't answer your #2 advise on the RGB. Thanks for the heads up on the brightness. The 1080 is the only thing that isn't lit, but I am planning on having a custom RGB backplate made for it. I'm sure it's going to be overkill, but that's what I'm going for.

Back