• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Build Case Options Redux

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SwartHack

Babysitter for OCF Lounge Day Care, Still a bad-as
Greetings Water Cooling forum!!!

Hokie- Great article! Everything I need to know. Was looking to revisit current case options with you'all...

As my uncontrollable descent into the dark shadowy depths continues, I encounter desire for extreme water cooling. Not a want, but a need overcomes me...

With one proj under my belt: (review at own risk!!!)
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/...ee-and-my-mutation-into-a-Pin-head-(Prologue)

I have been daydreaming about about a new build. If you have bored yourself with the proj log, you will know I have the unnecessary need for a little flair. And I already am cooking up some cool lighting/effects schemes.

The code name for my new proj is "XmasList" and I have actually parted out most everything except the cooling.
I was planning on 2011/x99 mb with all the bells, but looks like I am holding out for skylark now. That's another story..
That said price is a consideration but not totally limiting. It is more a factor as what it may come with or more importantly, what its potential would be.

So here are a few options I have been looking at. Seems the market has caught up a bit since the original article, so the choices get confusing...

logisys.jpg
$400 - on sale for $200
http://www.performance-pcs.com/logi...dual-ps-setup-12-fans-black.html#!prettyPhoto
Not sure about Logisys, as my experience with simple things (lights), etc. from them display poor workmanship. Also, pre-installed components. For my purpose probably rip all that out, but for that price?

Enthoo-Primo_1.jpg
enthos series $250+
http://www.amazon.com/Phanteks-Alum...7592442&sr=8-1&keywords=phanteks+enthoo+primo
These are nice I think and seem to provide a good extreme cooling foundation...

rosewill.jpg
$120 on sale for $90
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00SB2207K...olid=3GZLKTLJR2ZI0&coliid=IXR42O15I56EC&psc=1
for the price!!!!??? And if you plan to build a loop ground up? Actually on that link there are a number of RoseWill cases, all of which seem inexpensive and pre-built for potential.

Anyway, that's the few of many that I have looked at...

Comments/Suggestions/Insults/Disparagement

Thanks!

Salud

Logisys need not apply.

The Phanteks is 110% the best option listed.

Hey ATM!
So best option listed...
Any recommendations? If you were buying a case for an extreme open loop setup, what would you consider?
And I know, there are many that go way up in price, but if you were to spend, say $200-500...???

Hey ATM!
So best option listed...
Any recommendations? If you were buying a case for an extreme open loop setup, what would you consider?
And I know, there are many that go way up in price, but if you were to spend, say $200-500...???

There are a few good NZXT cases.
Corsair has the Air 540, 450D, 700D, and 900D.
Phanteks has great options.

Also, that kind of money could get you into something from CaseLabs.

Or, if you don't want a shell, check out some open air test benches.
The Spotswood I just reviewed has a ton of radiator support.

The Rosewill Viper Z looks to be the updated version of the Rosewill Blackhawk Midtower which I own. I like that case very much but it's not a tower for a custom loop.

There are a few good NZXT cases.
Corsair has the Air 540, 450D, 700D, and 900D.
Phanteks has great options.

Also, that kind of money could get you into something from CaseLabs.

Or, if you don't want a shell, check out some open air test benches.
The Spotswood I just reviewed has a ton of radiator support.

ATM hit it on point and took the words out of my mouth. If you want to go balls out of this world, $1000+ can get you a custom Caselab case the size of a mini closet where you can hide your pets and possibly self in. (I think our ROG member purchased one not too long ago.) For less than $500, he's posted great cases by Corsair and other's that support and are very water cooling friendly.

Hey GTXJackBauer!
Thanks for chiming in. I am looking to build a one-of-a-kind rig, with way too much flair.

But as they say, "If it is pretty it has to be fast, if it is fast it does not have to be pretty..." har, har...anyway...

GTXJackBauer said:
... (I think our ROG member purchased one not too long ago.) For less than $500, he's posted great cases by Corsair and other's that support and are very water cooling friendly.

Please do tell? "ROG member"??? Where would I find these posts? Please excuse my ignorance as I am technically a "Rookie":).

Thanks!

Salud

Here's the case I was talking about from our member ASUS ROG.

attachment.php

And here's another mammoth case I'd dream to have someday. :rofl: I know, complete overkill.

This is my actual case. The best "super tower" money can buy otherwise you're going custom with Caselabs and Mountainmods. This picture is old as I've updating quite a few things since than. I just haven't had a photoshoot with the new rig as its not easy to move around. If you're interesting, check in my signature of 900D Nostalgia v2.2 for more images.

13917799538_e5f7cab543_o.jpg

err, not sure what happened to my table, but you get the idea

Gomer-Pyle.jpg

Dang! That is some cool shiat! I hope to work my way up and your timing couldn't be better, as I just got a Corsair H80iGT for BruceLee, which is so far, so good...

But, there seems to be some issue with their Link product. Are you using that? What are those Corsair units on the back of 900D Nostalgia v2.2?

Or I assume possibly that your front bay, the Maelstrom, by swiftech. Is running the show?

And, one last question... Per ATM's advice I have been looking at the Corsair cases. Where does the huge difference in price/weight come from?!?

900D750D450D
18.6kg9.7kg7kg
$370$180$120

I am looking at the compare on Corsair site, but cant seem to link to compare results. I dont see a huge difference. Am I missing some included components?!

Thanks for feedback!!! It is vastly appreciated. Once I actually start in on XmasList proj, I am sure I will have many more questions!!!:cool:

Cheers

But, there seems to be some issue with their Link product. Are you using that? What are those Corsair units on the back of 900D Nostalgia v2.2?

The link is the elephant in the room. They've had issues with it since day one as I have. I was one of the early adopters to it. I have RMA'd my Corsair Link to the newest form and still had issues with it. I since have not installed any of the link components other than the software to monitor my system's PSU. I will only go further once I know they have ironed out the bugs. Its been 4+ years now since its release. For the time being, I use my BIOS on my MB to control my pumps and fans now, successfully.

Or I assume possibly that your front bay, the Maelstrom, by swiftech. Is running the show?

Yes, I'm using a Maelstrom35X2. Its a nice reservoir but there are some other nice dual bay reservoirs out there as well.

And, one last question... Per ATM's advice I have been looking at the Corsair cases. Where does the huge difference in price/weight come from?!?

Not sure what you're asking here. The more materials used in a case the more it will be.

I am looking at the compare on Corsair site, but cant seem to link to compare results. I dont see a huge difference. Am I missing some included components?!

Everything comes included unless its a custom case like Caselabs.

Thanks JB! Few clarifications if you will please...

Not sure what you're asking here. The more materials used in a case the more it will be.

uh, sure OK, understood, but looking at the 750 and 900 side-by-side, the 900 is 9kg heavier!!! 9 kg! That's a lot more.!?

Everything comes included unless its a custom case like Caselabs.

What is "everything". This does not include any actual cooling components (pump, res, etc) right?, minus the fans that are included?!? As when I do a compare on Corsair product page, no cooling component are listed.

Apologize for my dense nature, appreciate the clarification.

Ciao

Thanks JB! Few clarifications if you will please...

uh, sure OK, understood, but looking at the 750 and 900 side-by-side, the 900 is 9kg heavier!!! 9 kg! That's a lot more.!?

The 900D is a massive case. Its much bigger than the 750D.

What is "everything". This does not include any actual cooling components (pump, res, etc) right?, minus the fans that are included?!? As when I do a compare on Corsair product page, no cooling component are listed.

Oh no. No 3rd party or outside components are ever involved in a purchase of a case unless you purchase a pre-made PC from a PC manufacturer. PC and water cooling components need to be purchased separately.

I agree with everything mentioned above. The problem with cases is there's so much opinion and preferance that we would all choose a different one for differing reasons and they would each be correct in their own right.

That said, here are my 3 choices for "BIG" water(i.e. overkill).

1. Any of the bigger Caselabs or MountainMods.

2. Phanteks Enthoo Primo or Luxe if you prefer.

3. Thermaltake Core X9 (Note:HUGE water potential but difficult to work in due to rads above MB)

That said if you're going for benching then open case is the way to go. Most just run on MB boxes, but I prefer a set-up bench top. I like the Dimastech XL and Microcool Banchetto 101.

Also I'll leave this nice list here for your perusal http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/748535-Recommended-Cases-of-OCF

I agree with everything mentioned above. The problem with cases is there's so much opinion and preferance that we would all choose a different one for differing reasons and they would each be correct in their own right.

That said, here are my 3 choices for "BIG" water(i.e. overkill).

1. Any of the bigger Caselabs or MountainMods.

2. Phanteks Enthoo Primo or Luxe if you prefer.

3. Thermaltake Core X9 (Note:HUGE water potential but difficult to work in due to rads above MB)

That said if you're going for benching then open case is the way to go. Most just run on MB boxes, but I prefer a set-up bench top. I like the Dimastech XL and Microcool Banchetto 101.

Also I'll leave this nice list here for your perusal http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/748535-Recommended-Cases-of-OCF

+1 :thup:

The Choice

Blaylock said:
...Also I'll leave this nice list here for your perusal http://www.overclockers.com/forums/s...d-Cases-of-OCF
err, dude man Sir!? That is some list. Not sure how I missed it. Thanks for putting that together:thup:

Blaylock said:
...we would all choose a different one for differing reasons...
And yes, I will pick the case because it is yellow and has a cool grill:D

...if you're going for benching then open case is the way to go.
Ah, you should know me better than that. Although I can see me using one some day...
For now I need to build a really fast and really flashy rig.

I have a concept already in mind, I know its all been done by now, but I am the SwartHack:cool:
This case actually meets my cosmetic needs, even though I did not pick it on that merit.
I was looking at the primo and saw the SE and this is the case I am going with...

Enthoo-Primo_1.jpg Enthoo-Primo_6.jpg Enthoo-Primo_7-2.jpg
http://www.phanteks.com/Enthoo-Primo-SE.html

So brace yourself Modding Forums, looks like a new proj log:clap::rofl:

Thanks to everyone for helping me make this very important decision!!!

Cheers

Back