• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New build cooling advice?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MrCat

Hi there folks,

I'm building a new computer for pretty much the first time. It's been a very long time since I did more than replace a graphics or network card inside a machine.

I have been saving up and treating myself to a new bit each timne I can afford it and so far my system consists of a Corsair Carbide 100R windowed case, MSI 970 Gaming AM3+ MB, Corsair CX750 power supply, 1 x 8gb HyperX Fury ram, and I've just ordered myself an AMD FX8350 processor to go in it. I haven't addressed cooling yet and was hoping for some advice.

My budget is pretty small, but I've been considering the Corsair H100i water cooler but it loks like it'll be a very tight squeeze if possible to get the radiator and fans in there. I also read some reviews about leakage ruining peoples systems, tho I guess I may have read more about it if it was that frequent a common problem. I also considered the smaller single fan version. My other consideration was the CoolerMaster V8gti. These are about the limit of my budget. I'm not intending to overclock at the moment really because I know nothing about it but might want to give it a go.

I'm hoping this will be the first machine I've had in a long time where I can confidently get a new game and not worry about looking at the required system specs :)

Any advice would be great! Cheers

Oh, and is there much difference in all the cooling pastes out there? I was considering 'Arctic Cooling MX-4 paste' just becauseit was near the top of the list on Amazon and reasonably priced :)

1. Go 2x8gb for dual channel ram.
2. If you plan on overclocking that cpu, you will need something like a h100. If nkt something could siderably less ks fine.

What mother board did you/will you get?

I've got an MSI 970 Gaming Motherboard. Just waiting for the processor to be delivered!

Well after having read a few reviews I'm now thinking this could be the one for me:

Cooler Master RL-N12X-24PK-R1 - Nepton 120XL All in one Liquid CPU Water Cooler Kit with 2x 120mm PWM Fans and 120mm Radiator
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...sfl_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

It's said to be incredibly quiet and all in all a respectable and effective cooler :)

One review of the AMD FX8350 also said that the cooler it comes with in the box is fine too as long as you're not overclocking so I guess it's no big problem. I'd like to have the option tho.

Cheers

Back