• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Build - Cosair 600t - Cooling help/advice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jetablack4

Registered
Hi all, I just joined this forum as I have been doing some research on building my first computer and I found a lot of useful information on this site and figured this would be a good place to get some advice.

As title suggests, I want to build my first computer, it has been something that I have wanted to do for a long time. As with any project I do I usually like something challenging and unique. I am not a gamer but I use my computer for everything media to day trading and want something powerful. After reading up on liquid cooled computers I decided that I definitely want to include that in my system. Here is what my computer will include:

CPU: Intel Core i7 2600k
MOBO: Asus P8P67 Deluxe
Memory: CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM
GPU: AMD 6790
Storage: 80GB SSD and 1TB WD Caviar Black
Optical Drive: Undecided

PSU: SeaSonic USA X750 Gold (I think 750W should be sufficient for this build but let me know what you guys think.

Case: Cosair 600t (white)

Ok, now that you guys have an idea of what I will be building, I would like some advice feedback on my cooling system. I want to cool the CPU and the GPU only and want to know if you guys think that 1 radiator will be enough to cool this system. These are some items I had in mind:

CPU Block: Koolance CPU 370
http://www.koolance.com/water-cooling/product_info.php?product_id=2030

GPU Block: Koolance GPU 220
http://www.koolance.com/water-cooling/product_info.php?product_id=966

Reservoir and Pump Combo: Koolance RP-1000BK
http://www.koolance.com/water-cooling/product_info.php?product_id=280

I would like to put the radiator on the top of the case and then install two exhaust fans on top of them (the case allows you to do this I believe). I was looking at this one: XSPC RS240 Dual Fan Radiator
http://www.xs-pc.com/products/radiators/rs-series/rs240-dual-fan-radiator/

I would probably run 3/8 (10mm) tubing. Let me know what you guys think, will this cooling be sufficient or will I need an additional radiator. If so I would probably have to put it in the front of the case and do some modding.

If you want to do only a single rad, I'd suggest going with a front mounted 200mm Phobya unit...it has much large cooling capacity than the dually up top.

The one up top would probably only do an equivilent job as what good air cooling could accomplish, the 200mm unit in front would be a bit better, and if you add both, you'll be quite a bit better.

Make sure you check out the article Hokiealumnus recently wrote, it'll help you work your way through all the basics....it's the perfect starting point :thup:

Oh, also check out my 600T build for some more ideas :salute:

:welcome: to OCForums :)

Thanks for all of the info MIAHALLEN. It seems that 1 rad should be used per block. I think i could fit a Phobya Xtreme 200mm Radiator in the front of the case if I remove all of the 3.5 bays (which I didn't really want to do). What does everything think of the koolance blocks and pump/reservoir I chose? I did not see much information regarding that company in that article you posted, however, I like the design of the blocks and the convince of the pump/reservoir.

Also, MIAHALLEN your build looks really nice, probably very similar to what mine will look like. How do you move the HDD bays and mount them in the middle BTW? I just hope I am not taking on to much for my first build.

Few pointers. Rad space isn't based on one rad per device. It's the heat generated that needs dissipated. It also matters how quiet you want your PC to be. So how much rad depends on more than a 120x1 per component. Please use the link in the stickies to determine your heatload first and how much rad you will need. You'll want at a minimum a 120x3 in raddage area.

Please build the PC on a tabletop with no watercooling to make sure it all works first, and run it for a few days. There is nothing worse than putting watercooling on a PC and find out you have a bad mobo, GPU etc etc. Building your first ever PC with watercooling is a complex task. I'd even go so far as to say build the PC first on a tabletop, and after a few days, put it in the case. Use it for a while and keep researching about watercooling for a few more weeks. Once you know the PC is working fine, then buy the WC parts.

That pump/res housing.... Not sure what pump in on the inside. Most of us stay away from the Koolance prebuilt things like that. And it's pretty darn expensive. You can buy the BEST pump and a good res for about $110.

So, with that said, here are MORE links you need to read, RESEARCH, and bookmark. Many of them you will go back to time and time again as you learn. A purchase mistake costs you money and hassle, building it wrong can ruin expensive parts, and worse, using the wrong liquids can turn your loop into a overheating, clogged nightmare of repeated cleanings and hassles. Some who buy $500 of parts do it so wrong the stuff shows up for sale after a major fail. Abandoned due to preventable mistakes. Usually not enough knowledge and rushing things.

Good luck!

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6489396&postcount=3

Thanks for the advice Conumdrum, I think the best idea will be to build the computer first and then add the water cooling after. This way I can also see if the additions I made are actually effective or just for looks, lol. I plan on taking my time with this build as my current desktop is relatively new (Dell XPS 8100) but I want to build something that I can keep upgrading and customizing for the future. I will look at all the sites you listed and report back with any questions. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Laing (the actual pump maker) sells the DDC3.2 and the DDC3.25 and the 35x pump bottom.

The MCP notation is a Laing pump, rebadged by Swiftech. Koolance does not make these pumps. They buy and sell them. Usually for more money than most places.

The MCP 35x is a PWM pump made by Laing with a very nice pump top, made and put on the pump by Swiftech.

Even the D5 by Laing is rebadged by Koolance to PMP-400 or something like that.

Just so you know Discovery.

Back