• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New build. Did I spec something wrong?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Diviner01

I haven't been here since my last build / unlock in 5 years. I always thought the people here were sharp.

I need a semi-high end video editing machine (720p). My last machine used 2 virtual raid 0 drives (5 physical drives total) and overclocked an AMD 9950. I currently have 6 monitors. Just want some feedback before I push the buy button.

I am upgrading from Adobe CS3 to CS6. Specifically, After Effects can now use all the memory.

Issues with last build.

1) I bought a large case, but the workstation grade nvideo card(s) still bumped against the drive stack, so I had to reposition some drives. The specs said it would fit, but with plugs, it didn't. I have a quadro CX ($1,700 ripoff, I got sucked into the hype).
2) WIth raid 0, any issue with the cpu / memory / boot means I can't get at my data.
3) Have reboot issue where I have to hold reset for several seconds to get a clean boot. I have changed memory, but problem still exists.

Goals for the new build.

1) More memory for After effects
2) SSD drives, one for boot / scatch, and one for core non-video data.
3) Not implement any raid, so if any "issue" happens, I can just pull the drives. I don't back up video clips, just finished product to an external drive (usb3.0).
4) Going from 6 monitors to 4 monitors and incorporate SLI.
5) Case the has the front usbs and buttons on the top of the case since it sits on the floor right next to me.
6) I go about 6 years between builds. No need to be on the bleeding edge.
7) I will OC.

Here is what is in the shopping cart at New Egg.
A) CPU: i5-3550 ivy bridge.
B) MEM: G.SKILL Ares Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900) x 2 = 32g
C) MB: ASUS P8Z77-V PRO LGA (I like asus)
D) Vid1: PNY VCQ2000D-PB Quadro 2000D 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 (
E) Vid2: PNY VCQUADRO-CX-PB Quadro CX 1.5GB 384-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 (existing to SLI bridge)
F) SD1: OCZ Vertex 4 VTX4-25SAT3-128G 2.5" 128GB SATA
G) SD2: OCZ Vertex 4 VTX4-25SAT3-256G 2.5" 256GB SATA
H) HD: western digital reused
I) COUGAR Evolution Black SECC ATX Full Tower Computer Case USB 3.0 x 2, USB 2.0 x 2
J) PSU: Rosewill Stallion Series RD700 700W ATX12V V2.3 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Power Supply
K) DVD: reuse

Specific questions
A) i5-3550 ivy or i5-2500 sandy?

Anything I am missing??

I would get a 3770 or 2600/2700, video editing/rendering generally likes HT.
Those two cards won't SLI, they may be willing to both do CS6 work though. SLI is only for 3d gaming type rendering, not GPGPU type stuff.

I would get a higher quality PSU. It's possible that the Stallion series is good and I've missed it. Personally though I would get something top shelf for a work/production build like that.

From what I see personally, I would suggest venturing into the X79 platform where you can add 3 or more GPU cards if the need ever arises, along with 40 PCI lanes and a potential 64GBs of RAM, though its hard to imagine that would ever be needed.

What I like about my case is that it is not so much tall as it is very deep to accomodate eATX and server boards. Video cards will never extend enough to reach my drive bays, and the power/reset buttons are very close to the top as well as two USB 3.0, one 2.0, one eSata, and audio front panel ports. However, the case is a bit pricey but being a Lian li, its pretty much expected for the quality, stylish look, modular w/tooless design.

I would be curious to know what your budget is with this build.

:welcome:To the Overclockers forums!

If you are overclocking, you want a "K" series chip to get the most out of it. Personally, I would go 3770K CPU on Z77 platform... 32GB of ram should be plenty (unless you are close now?). If you are close, then I absolutely agree to build on X79 and grab a i7 3820 (though you are a bit limited in overclocking.. the K series HEX is $525 or so).

As was asked above, what is your budget? My other question is do you need a quadro based card for your work?

PS - You can use 3 GPU's on the Z77 platform as well...just need a board that supports it like EVGA FTW, Asrock OC Formula to name two I have had in my hands.. Im certain there are more... and before I hear the bologna about PCIe lanes, that is what the PLX chip is for. ;)

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. I do appreciate the quick responses.

I want to spend under 2k. I am currently at $1,500.

I have pulled 2g of bad mem out of my system leaving me with 6g! 8g was great 6 years ago. 32g will be great for me. I spend my life in AI, PS, Sketchup, Premeire, AE, and Corel Draw.

I would get a 3770 or 2600/2700, video editing/rendering generally likes HT.

So, assuming I spend another $80 on i7, what x79 motherboard (asus preferred) and case (deep) would you recommend for a x79 platform from NewEgg? Links would be great.

I would like to keep the case under $150 if possible.

SLI is only for 3d gaming type rendering, not GPGPU type stuff
Wow. I got that wrong. I always though SLI was for creating one virtual video card for more GPU power. So, then will I get any benefit from implementing SLI?

Last edited:
ok so here is a possibility

cpu + $370 i7 3930k (from i5 $210)
mb + $110 asus sabertooth x79 (from p877 $210)

so, what case??

Sabertooth is your choice, but there are better boards costing less money that are as good or better (dont believe the hype on that board is my advice).

This EVGA X79 FTW is INCREDIBLY cheap right now coming in at $209.xx (from $400). There are a lot of features you may not use, but it is by far better than anything at $210 this second. If you cant buy that while this sale is on, grab a Giga X79 UD3.

Wow. I got that wrong. I always though SLI was for creating one virtual video card for more GPU power. So, then will I get any benefit from implementing SLI?
It is, but its for gaming. GPGPU applications cannot make use of cards in SLI last I understood.

EDIT: I just saw you liked Asus boards, so here is one between the Sabertooth and the Evga... Asus P9X79

Last edited:
There is no reason to go quad on the X79 platform. If that CPU is Ok, then he should save money and go Z77 + 3770K as the 3770K is marginally faster. Sure there is no Hex upgrade.............but we have been around this merry go round enough for me to explain why most say X79 + Hex or dont do it at all. It all depends on his budget though really... divine, have you mentioned one already? If not, give up a $ figure so we all can help give you opinions and you can choose what is best armed with our collective knowledge/opinions.

Last edited:
The whole idea of going X79 is for the 40 PCI lanes and potential 64GB of RAM upgrade in the future, upon which the Z77 leaves you standing "AS IS" with NO upgrade potential.

A hex core CPU as well as 32 additional GBs of RAM can be added at any point and time in the FUTURE. Not to mention TWO ADDITONAL GPUs. This build will last the OP 10 YEARS instead of having to start over from scratch in 5 or less.

Sure, a quad core CPU will suffice for now, and paying $500+ now for a CPU is just not worth it IMO. The i7 3820 also can be overclocked, but it is done a bit differently to reach 4.3Ghz.

I would not advise the standard P9X79, as many have had DOAs and problems with that particular board. If one were to go that route, I would suggest the PRO or DELUXE P9X79

Last edited:
The PCIe (PCI is obsolete for the most part - its PCI Express you are talking about) lanes do not matter. Z77 has a PLX chip that adds extra lanes as needed and can handle 3 cards.

If he NEEDS more than 32GB, which you yourself said is doubtful - we really need him to answer here, then there is no choice but X79.

Yes, he can upgrade to a hex, but as I mentioned before, in five-4-3-hell even 2 years from now, a brand new quad with HT will handily beat an IB-E. So is it really an upgrade? I dont think so personally.

I guess the question for him is budget and does he think he needs more than 32GB of ram, and that should help us get the info we need to point him in the right direction. ;)

Last edited:
Well, I'm not going to speculate the future as if I have some crystal ball in front of me.

This to me is not about immediate NEED, but rather potential in the FUTURE, with the key being the OP doesn't usually build a new rig but every 5 or more years, unlike some here who build a new rig every month/year and sell off the parts to stay ahead of the game.
I honestly think the z77 platform is the last hoorah for LGA 1155, despite all the speculation its going to be around in 5 or 10 years.

PCI is just a reference, sorry I didn't include the "E" to be so grammatically correct.

I get what you are trying to accomplish, but like I said, is it REALLY an upgrade path in 5 years? I mean, paying for a 5 year old Hex core that is beat out handily by a quad?

Let me put it in a different light... with that thinking, 5 years ago, you would get a dual core Pentium4D then upgrade to a quad core now, like a Q8400 (which most boards cant use both those chips, but... hang with me) which gets crushed by any modern dual or quad core. I just dont believe, and can prove by history that you actually have a VIABLE upgrade 5 years from now. I cant imagine attempting to do anything outside of internet/email/gaming using few year old games, etc on a CPU that came out five years ago, none the less keep up with the increasing demands of editing and such that this user will be doing. The PC industry is fickle, its TERRIBLE. Futureproofing in a lot of respects is simply a buzzword and not much more. What you put in to futureproofing now, you dont get back. ANd the longer you wait to upgrade, the less value upgrading will actually be considering the new hardware that will be out at that time.

Hey no worries, just naming the right parts of a PC is all. An apple is not an orange. :)

Speculation about what? There's no speculation about it...it's like 99% confirmed that Haswell is going to be LGA1150.

ok, after listening & researching, here is what I have.

Lowered mem to 1600.
Changed motherboard, look at a bunch.
Upgraded to i7-3820
Changed ssd to samsung.
I think I found a good case, but the jury is always out until the build. This case has fans.
Power supply is a bit underrated at 630, but my experience is the only time I push the system is when I am doing a Motion Graphic gen. I am not a gamer.

My experience both at work and at home is the concept of upgrades sound great, but in reality, everything gets redone. I went with the bigger board because the one thing I would upgrade is memory, since its cheap, and doing HD motion graphics in After Affects, I could foresee spending a few hundred more on memory.

$1660 shipped. I have WD drives and a DVD drive already.

attachment.php

Final thoughts?? Did I do anything stupid? Can I still overclock?

I really do appreciate everyone thoughts, and considering them all. I am going to push the buy button in an hour, so I will watch the replies closely.

Attachments

• divinerlist2.JPG
    divinerlist2.JPG
    135.2 KB · Views: 249
If you 'redo' everything then its not a wise move for X79. You are paying a premium for the X79 chipset you arent even going to 'upgrade'. I would honestly go Z77 and 3770K if that is how you plan to upgrade. The 3770k is faster than the 3820.

The big deal there is the 32GB of ram and if you need more...you have not said yet.

Why do you need a workstation level GPU? Do you need the extra support that comes with it or can your applications use a non workstation card (likely)?

I think it is a great build, and don't let anyone fool you into thinking otherwise. You can overclock the 3820 to 5Ghz if needed, but I doubt you will find it necessary with the X79 platform since it is faster than z77 at stock, whereas the z77 has to overclock to match the 3820 and X79. Also, Ivy bridge runs much hotter than Sandy bridge, so unless you're cooling with water, stick to Sandy bridge. When all these 3770s start frying in a year or two...............

EDIT: To ED, you have to understand professional video rendering to appreciate having a professional grade graphics card. This is not a gaming machine.

When Intel drops the 3960 hex core to $300 come next year when Haswell is released, then the upgrade will be viable and most of all, POSSIBLE

Last edited:
PoleP, I need to correct some things sir...sorry.

1. 3770K is faster than a 3820 with both at stock speeds. Remember, that IB is around 5% faster give or take, than SB/SB-E...In fact not one test in the first review I found did the 3820 win...and that is with a 100Mhz clockspeed deficit...
2. Ivy bridge does run hotter than SB but only when heavily overclocked. There are plenty of people on air running Ivybridge CPU's around 4.5Ghz. You do not need water to do so.
3. You (nor I) have no clue what these IB chips will do in a couple of years. That said, I would bet you my paycheck that IB doesnt start 'frying' early. That's completely unsubstantiated bantor dude. Though IB runs warmer, it can handle it... Intel made them that way.

Listen broham, I'm sorry to keep correcting you but I am a stickler for the facts. The OP will make his choice but it should be based on facts and not opinions/ideas out that are not true or are unsubstantiated. Sorry again... I really dont want to do this, but I cant stand seeing opinions based off of misinformation. I hope you understand my plight and that Im not specifically picking on you(or anyone).

EDIT:
EDIT: To ED, you have to understand professional video rendering to appreciate having a professional grade graphics card.
I do understand... the question is do you? Are you aware that the only difference between that card and the non quadro its based off of are a couple of things really...?

1. Drivers/bios (are different from regular)
2. Support for the card/drivers
3. Amount of vram.

If he needs the support and wants to pay the premium, then by all means Quadro is the way to go. :)

Last edited:
Fine, I will agree with you for the most part on the z77 platform, for which it is primarily a gamers and overclockers paradise when one wants to prove a point on the benches and test rigs.

I just keep reading Divine's original post to understand what the real needs are here and what has been the trouble in the past, and the direction he/she wants to achieve in the form of present and future goals.

Myself, I have a different theory about overclocking which probably derives from its original purpose, and that is to push performance out of an older machine to keep up with new technology and rising demands on hardware. Given that, for me it is better to get a fast enough machine now in the pursuit of building and later on find ways to overclock (or tax) my CPU later instead of starting over from scratch.

EDIT: It might appear like bantor, but common sense tells me when something runs hotter, it will last less longer.

Last edited:
Back