• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New build. Did I spec something wrong?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Primarily for gamers? QUe? The X79 performs the same as Z77 SB to SB-E. Its primarily for whatever you want it to be for. Perhaps its BOUGHT more for gaming, but certainly not a gamers paradise (actually, what do you even mean by that? LOL!)?

Ive been reading his 1st post and needs as well... In fact I touched on those points in nearly every post.. the problems he had really doesnt come in to play here (cases - I dont touch cases, Raid0 - doesnt seem he's doing that because of the problems?, and reboot issue - its a new PC so that is a moot point.

Divine said:
My experience both at work and at home is the concept of upgrades sound great, but in reality, everything gets redone.
You think since he 'redoes' everything paying more now for a questionable upgrade path is worth it? You'll never be my accountant!!! :p

Anyway, hopefully now that things have been corrected he can see the actual facts about how hardware performs and make his choice accordingly. Honestly, he cant go wrong with either platform, just one costs more money for little reason.

EDIT: It might appear like bantor, but common sense tells me when something runs hotter, it will last less longer.
Did you read what I said? They dont run warmer until you starting really pounding on the CPU. And even then again, it can handle the heat if he chooses to push 4.5Ghz.
EDIT: And I think you meant runs cooler it lasts longer. ;)

EDIT2: @ Divine -

Lowered mem to 1600.
Changed motherboard, look at a bunch.
Upgraded to i7-3820
Changed ssd to samsung.
I think I found a good case, but the jury is always out until the build. This case has fans.
Power supply is a bit underrated at 630, but my experience is the only time I push the system is when I am doing a Motion Graphic gen. I am not a gamer.
1. Lowering memory speed = good choice
3. 3820 is not an upgrade from 3770k or 2600k
4. Sammy are solid SSD's = good choice
6. PSU is fine. That system wont break 400W highly overclocked and fully loaded.

Last edited:
Really the only additional price premium comes at the expense of the motherboard, that being no more than $150 across all boards. The difference in CPU cost is moot, like maybe $10 LOL That will buy you a happy meal at McDonalds, well, maybe two. All other components are relatively the same and used on both platforms.

I can think of one "little reason", that being, you get what you pay for.
EDIT #2: Typcially, in this world, you simply don't get a higher quality product in comparison for a lesser price. Thats just not how it works in the business world. Value is measured by quality which comes at a higher price premium.

I do agree though, its really out of our hands now for which direction to choose.
I often wonder what kind of rig you rock, since I've never seen a rig sig.

EDIT: I highly recommend a 750w PSU in this case, because when/if in the future of adding 1,2, or 3 graphics cards....... Clearly, two will get used here for now in SLI (as stated in OP) It is always better to over power than under power initially.

Earthdog said:
You think since he 'redoes' everything paying more now for a questionable upgrade path is worth it? You'll never be my accountant!!!
If you compared what you've spent over the past 14 years on computers to what I've spent, you'd not only want me to be your accountant, but also your financial advisor!!:p

Last edited:
You do get what you pay for, but nothing in the X79 platform is better than the Z77 platform when speaking in terms of hardware quality... not sure you meant to say that as it makes no sense as posted.

A bit OT but my PC is as follows (for daily driver/gamer):

CPU: 3570K
MOB: MIVE (Asus Maximus IV Extreme - P67)
GPU: GTX 680
RAM: 2x4GB DDR3 1600Mhz
PSU: Seasonic X560
SSD: 240GB OCZ Vertex 3
HDD: 640GB WDC Black and 2TB WDC Green

My benching/review rig is:

CPU: 3770K (sometimes 3570K goes there when I need to bench it)
MOB: EVGA Z77 FTW / MSI Z77 MPower
GPU: Varies of course
RAM: 2x8GB DDR3 2666MHz
PSU: Seasonic 1KW Platinum
SSD: Several little ones with different OS's on them
HDD: 1TB WDC Green

EDIT:
EDIT #2: Typcially, in this world, you simply don't get a higher quality product in comparison for a lesser price.
Oof, another misconception from you again... this is getting RIDICULOUS PoleP.

You think a 670 Direct CU II, because its cheaper than a 680 Direct CU II is made of less quality parts? They dont use say 80% pure copper in Z77 vs 90% pure copper in X79? What the heck are you smoking? Do you honestly think the Z77 Sabertooth is of less quality than the X79 Sabertooth? We are not talking different features, we are talking QUALITY of parts used. Sure power delivery is boosted but its the same parts, just more of them (power phases) since those hex chips use more power.

Last edited:
There is absolutely no reason to use a quad SB-E for him. None. At all.
IB on Z77 will be faster, use less power, last just as long and cost less.
The only reason to use the X79 platform is for quad-GPU benching or for the hex core CPUs.

EDIT #2: Typcially, in this world, you simply don't get a higher quality product in comparison for a lesser price. Thats just not how it works in the business world. Value is measured by quality which comes at a higher price premium.

In macroeconomics, the price is determined typically by the demand curve. In other words, the price of a good (that people would purchase the product at) is largely dependent on what consumers believe (or are convinced through the companies marketing department) the worth of the product.

You pay whatever the company can convince you it's worth, regardless of what it's actually worth.

To the OP, my understanding is that video editing is highly multithreaded, I would go with X79 with a 3930K.

I agree that going with a 3820 is rather pointless and you might as well go with a 3770K at that point.

z77 Sabertooth and X79 Sabertooth may be of the same quality parts, but you pay more for the advanced technology, plain and simple. Otherwise, it would be the other way around. The same applies to the 670 vs. 680. I don't really get the "80 and 90 copper" gig. Of course we do know that ASUS boards cost more than ASRock boards in general of the same platform. I'd be willing to be there's a reason for that. Most likely branding, just like you'll pay more for a Toyota vs a Nissan of simular makes and models.
The ONLY time you might get a real deal on a higher quality product which is typically more expensive than a lesser quality product is when;
1. The product is overstocked
2. The product has been placed as a clearance item.
3. The product is discontinued.
4. Fire sale
5. Stolen
6. Pawn store
7. A random special

I'm sure the X79 makes for a good benching platform, and that might be all you do with computers, but I can be pretty certain that is NOT the only reason and purpose it was researched and developed.

Name the "advanced technology" found in the Sabertooth. All they did was slap a giant, unnecessary plastic shroud on the board, went with a different color theme, and maybe SLIGHTLY different components versus the P8Z77 series boards, and marketed the hell out of it. That increased cost is 1. paying for the increased marketing costs, and 2. contributing to ASUS's profits.

I'd be willing to bet that their profit margin on the Sabertooth series is much higher than other boards. I'd also be willing to bet that ASUS overall enjoys a higher profit margin than ASRock.

X79 was developed for:
1. People who need crazy amounts of RAM
2. People who want to go with more than 2 GPUs
3. People who need more than 4 cores
4. Wealthy, impressionable idiots who buy the 3960X

Name the "advanced technology" found in the Sabertooth. All they did was slap a giant, unnecessary plastic shroud on the board, went with a different color theme, and maybe SLIGHTLY different components versus the P8Z77 series boards, and marketed the hell out of it. That increased cost is 1. paying for the increased marketing costs, and 2. contributing to ASUS's profits.

I'd be willing to bet that their profit margin on the Sabertooth series is much higher than other boards. I'd also be willing to bet that ASUS overall enjoys a higher profit margin than ASRock.
You realize no part of that post contributes to the OP's needs right?
When did this thread become a discussion about the Sabertooth and a bashing bandwagon? Since you wish me to elaborate.........
Advanced technology = X79 platform, which holds all records.
1. Did I recommend it to the OP? No, Divine just put it out there, and I explicitly said that the only reason it should be considered is for the 5 year warranty, which obviously always commands a higher price premium. Its no different than if you buy an extended warranty on any other product. That should have been your #3. I don't see where marketing is any different with any other motherboard. though I'd be willing to bet ASRock spends WAY more on marketing and sponsorship because they own less market share and are trying to change that. ASUS either has more overhead costs, or ASRock cuts corners somewhere, either in labor or manufacturing. Thats why ASUS cost more than ASRock, by platform comparison.
2. Did I include it in the suggested build list? No, I actually selected the ASRock X79 board because it is much less cost, like $199 compared to $329
So if anything, I'm helping you and ASRock contribute to your profits.
3. The Sabertooth X79 has no plastic shroud, you're thinking about the z77 Sabertooth. It does have a jacket by the I/O, but that is for directing air flow from the supplied 50mm fan attached to it for added cooling.
It should be noted that with ANY motherboard, their product pages are filled with "fluff"as a marketing tool. I'm sure they all have comparable quality components, with vendors choosing different appealing words to boast about their own. Awards however, speak for themselves, though I wonder sometimes if they too are "backdoor" arranged. Money can buy you almost anything in this world.

I realize you're trying your hardest to put ASUS out of business with the constant bashing, but their market share still holds strong, even among members in this forum.

I don't really care what their profit margin is or any other motherboard manufacturer for that matter. I only care about a quality product backed by a solid warranty, confirmed by a solid reputation.

In conclusion, I don't come here to bash other's hardware, debate or sway opinions, or get into arguments. Sometimes I stand to be corrected since I don't know any and everything about hardware or a "know it all", where there is nothing to be learned. A new member comes here asking for feedback, advice, or suggestions, and I only try to help THEM, even though my opinions may differ from others. If there is a "one build fits all solutions", then there is no point in variable suggestions. Just make a huge banner with the build list and title it "This is all you need" since its SOS in every thread.

You realize it has the records because that is a CPU core dependent benchmark, right?
If you filter for quad core CPUs and 2 GPUs watch the X79 platform disappear from the rankings. Poof! Gone!
The 3820 is no better than a 2600k, quad channel memory with woefully high internal latencies doesn't help much of anybody (servers only).

Back