• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New build for an old builder question (MSI 870A-G54)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

glenny

Hey all,

Last build was in 2006, so its been a while. Tech level (average to below average) (VERY low on a forum like this ;) )

I remember always having to have a floppy drive around to load SATA drivers to get the SATA HDD to load windows....

Last time was an ASUS board with XP...

just ordered up a new kit-o-parts with the MSI 870A-G54 as the MOBO and Win7 x64 as the OS (from an upgrade disk).

Its still in the mail but I have a question, as I try to mentally prepare for the task. Are current boards able to recognize SATA strait away, or will I have to add a floppy drive and make a boot disk so Windows will see my SATA HDD?

Thanks much.

X2...however, if your trying to set up a RAID array you might, maybe need the motherboard installation CD during Windows 7 install for the RAID drivers. I needed them with my build.

Good news is, the days of the floppy F6 are over...thank GOD. :thup:

If you are doing RAID, check with your motherboard maker's web site to see if there is a separate download for that for your OS. RAID controllers tend to be very proprietary and the OS may not have drivers for yours. You should be fine with SATA, however, just with native Win 7 drivers.

Just a quick question for you guys. Doesn't Win7 (and even Vista?) recognize USB thumb drives? I've kinda' gotten the image that thumb drives have pretty much replaced the floppy for everything ...

quietice is dead right, usb completely replaced floppy can anyone remember the last time they did a build and installed a floppy? :)

no windows will pick up the sata drives just fine, i also recently upgraded to windows 7 32bit (tried 64bit and nothing supported it turned into a nightmare) and i was amazed at the amount of driver support windows 7 has, it was a really easy install with out any bsod,s due to hardware problems.

thanks gang! that is good news seeing how i think i might be using my old floppy drive as a door stop.

no raid here... just one HDD (maybe another in the future).

Back