• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New build from Phenom II 940BE to an Intel base

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
It'll be okay I'm sure. No one can accuse you of making impulsive, half-baked component decisions. Keep us posted. Have a blessed New Year.

Well, so far so good. Surprised me that all the parts literally came the next day. I was not expecting such fast delivery. In any case, I put it all together and it seems to be going stable so far. I haven't thrown something to stress it yet, however. Though during building it, I had to cut out a square chunk from my tower as where the CPU went over on it would press against the board due to that extra braced added to it from the heatsink. That took probably a good two or so hours on its own since I didn't have anything but a couple of hand tools I had to make do with. Also had to make a 'ghetto' bracket to hold the SSD as I forgot I didn't have any for it.

We like ghetto around here. Sometimes we have ghetto picture contests.

31Mg14O.jpg
The hole that looks ugly, but I'm pretty sure I cleaned it all off and blew out around and the case before putting anything in for any small metal fragments that might have been there. I really should probably get a new one, though.

aC9uyUq.jpg
basically cardboard completely wrapped around with duct tape and two zip ties to hold it onto it and slid into the slot frame holder. With a lil' bumper at the end to keep it from sliding too far in and possibly popping the cables out from the back of it.

FBLKrp1.jpg

Other side. With ghetto speaker from old old old 80386DX machine and put into it's own 'ghetto' holder on the case.

I'm looking around at possible new PSUs to replace the old one as I kind of want to put the AM2+ back into use as a fallback or secondary use, and a new tower as I mentioned above. Mid or full, so long as the price isn't too high. I got this one back ago at ~60 USD from a sale at that time.

===============BONUS OLD GHETTO PHOTOS===============
BzNuM.jpg
Socket A needed more airflow into it back then after OCing it and the GPU to hell.... This worked rather well enough.

YTiOm.jpg
Even made it a filter system.

ulKHW.jpg
Then there's this thing from an old salvaged P4 thrown together for a nephew back then.

Last edited:
Dude, you are the king of ghetto! Great pics. The true spirit of DIY and the American way!

Back