• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Build - GPU performance on the overall system question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Alakagom

Hi,

Not sure this is the right thread, but here goes anyway. Pretty noob-ish question so forgive.

I'm looking to build myself new computer, I am not a gamer really so I'm building my pc purely for speed in tasks like excel/data crunching/databases etc.

My current GPU is Radeon 5700 :shock: From what I saw the 6700k has the Intel HD530 which what I saw in passmark is actually more powerful than 5700 which is cool :D

So to my question as per title, does discrete GPU going to have any affect on speed of my overall system? I assume it'll have some anyway, but is it big or very minute? I'd rather save myself money for now and maybe buy a discrete when Pascal comes out in future.

Thanks in advance.

If all you have is a 5700 I would definitely just run the 6700K's iGPU.
If you're not a gamer there's no real use to buy a dedicated GPU unless you have a rendering software that'll utilize one.

Back