• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New build - I7 4770K

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Amir Friedland

Registered
Hello ,
REQ :
Hard core gaming pc.
High OC(going to be a bit of a problem here :)).
Mid-high budget. SSD - good but not too good for gaming.
Budget : below 1400 $ (No need in GPU , I am going to use my older one , it's brand new GTX 570 OC VER - only 2 months old)
No need in windows include. not living in the US.

Main use : Flight simulator X -which means i need high CPU Clock then a good gpu...

‏Intel Core i7 Haswell 4770K 3.5Ghz 8MB L3 Cache s1150 - Box‎
NH-D14 - Getting better results then the h100i in must've 4770K Benches ??
Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD3H LGA1150, Intel Z87, DDR3 1600, 3xPCI-E,VGA, DVI, HDMI, DP‎
Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1600Mhz Vengeance Blue Dual Channel CL9-9-9-24 or Value version (cheaper)?
Nvidia GTX570 OC
Seagate 1TB Barracuda 7200RPM 64MB Sata III ST1000DM003‎
Samsung 840 Series 2.5'' 250GB SSD SATA III(do i realiy need pro series for gaming ?)
LG DVD±RW GH24NS x24 Black SATA OEM‎
SeaSonic SSP-650RT 650W Gold Active PFC 12CM Fan PSU - SS-650RT OEM‎ or SeaSonic G-650 650W Gold Modular G-Series Active PFC 12CM Fan PSU or Corsair GS 700W V2 Series Active PFC 14cm Fan PSU or Corsair TX 650W V2 Active PFC 14cm Fan

Corsair 500R Carbide Black Mid-Tower Case (No PSU) or Antec Eleven Hundred The Advanced Gaming Authority Case ?

What do you say ?

TNX.

Last edited:
Hey, welcome to OCF! :beer:

When trying to recommend a build to you, there's some information that's extremely helpful for us to know. If you could answer these few short questions, we'd be happy to help!

• What are you planning to do with this compuer? Please be as specfic as possible.
  • What is your budget?
    1. Does this include a copy of Windows?
    2. Does this include peripheals (a keyboard, monitor, mouse, speakers, etc.)?
  • Are you from the United States or a different country? Are you ordering from your own country or from across borders?
    1. Wherever you may be from, does the store that you are planning to order from have a website? It's okay if it isn't in English, we can manage.
    2. If you are from the United States, do you live nearby a Microcenter?
  • Do you have any specific requests with the build?
    1. Do you plan on overclocking? If yes, do you have a specific goal in mind?
    2. Would you prefer the build to be particularly small?
    3. Would you prefer the build to be particularly quiet?
    4. In general, do you prefer this to be a computer that you can spend money on now and let it rest, or a box built for continuous upgrading?
    5. Do you ever plan on utilizing NVIDIA's SLI or AMD's CrossfireX technologies? These features, with a compatible motherboard, allow a user to link multiple identical graphic cards together for added performance. In real world terms, this lets you buy a second identical graphics card down the line as a relatively cheap and easy way to gain a fairly large boost in performance. However, this requires buying a SLI/CFX compatible motherboard and PSU now, which may result in slightly higher initial cost.

Once again, thank you in advance for taking the time to answer these, and I hope you enjoy your stay at OCF! :)

Everything looks pretty good, except the GPU: it's old... Grab either a 7950/7970 or a 770.

Edit: sorry, didn't read the beginnng of the post... You'd better sell this 570 since it still has some value, and grab a new gen card. I am sure you can sell it for $130/$140. You add $100 and get a 7870.

Edit 2: living where?

Hi Amir. I built my PC with Flight Simulator X and X-Plane in mind too, so let me give you some firsthand advice:

You're spot on about needing the fastest CPU you can get. FSX is severely CPU limited, but isn't multicore optimized. So the 4770 is going to be your best choice. And like Knufire said the H100i is probably going to be your best choice for a cooler. Maybe an H110 might be a little better, but only by a little. How well your mount your cooler plays a huge part in keeping your CPU cool, so make sure you research the best way to do that.

Definitely sell your 570 while it still has some value and pick up a 770 or 7950.

I'm a huge proponent of 16GB of RAM, so I'd recommend these: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231556 (I'm currently running the Ripjaw X version of those, which is the same thing with a different heatsink).

Everything else looks solid. Any of those PSUs and cases are fine; just go with your personal preference.

What kind of display(s) are you using?

I heard the the oc performance is very weak.. is it true ?
And so that the H100i is cooling weaker than the NHD14 on the 4770K..

Yep I am sorry I open another third because I didn't know where is the right place to post an all new build questions..

About the PCIE3, I am currently using GTX 570 oc ver (2 months old (warranty changed from a burned GTX480) and I dont see any reason to upgrade to GTX 770 (it's another 485 $ here...)

But my main question Is what would be The best way to cool the haswell , Air or water ? , H100i ot NHD14 ?

What are your overclocking goals? 4.2ish, god air is fine, around 4.5ish is where you want water.

4.5 ghz is good for me... but I am asking again , I read that because of the way that the Hasewell build he is enjoying better air cooling then water cooling.. Is it true ? Compared an H100i to noctua NH D'14...

The way a chip is made has little/nothing to do with air/water cooling being better. H100i will cool a bit better than NHD14.

I see , anyway I saw that sometimes there isnt a big change between H100 and NHD14 ...
I tried to build myself a nice spcs , tell me what do you think..

Intel Core i7 4770K Haswell 3.5Ghz 8MB L3 Cache s1150
Noctua NH-D14 CPU Cooler
Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD3H LGA1150, Intel Z87, DDR3 1600
Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1600Mhz Vengeance Blue Dual Channel CL9-9-9-24
Seagate 1TB Barracuda 7200RPM 64MB Sata III ST1000DM003
Samsung 840 Series 2.5'' 250GB SSD SATA III
LG DVD±RW GH24NS x24 Black SATA OEM
Corsair TX650M 650W Modular Active PFC 14cm Fan
Antec Eleven Hundred The Advanced Gaming Authority Case No PSU

1550 $

Looks fine to me, though I would have went Samsung 840 PRO on the SSD.

Yeah but the difference is 120 $.. :)
so I will stick with the normal one...(i don't really need a that fast ssd..)
Last question , is a thermal paste changing will add something ?
I mean changing the original Intel thermal paste even before the first use...

Well after some changes done this is the final result :

Intel Core i7-4770K

GTX 570 OC

ARROW SILVER SB E EXTREME

Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD4H

G.Skill DDR3 8GB (2x4GB) 2666MHz 11-13-13-35 TridentX + Fan

Seagate Desktop 3.5" 1TB 64MB SATA3

Samsung SH-224 x24 SATA Black DVD

Thermaltake Toughpower GOLD 750W

Thermaltake LEVEL 10 GTS

Any thoughts ?

Back