• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New build keeps randomly restarting? Windows 10

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sup3rcarrx8

Hi guys. I recently built a computer to replace my old one and for some reason it randomly restarts on a daily basis. I think at first it was the faulty RAM (still in process of RMA) since the mobo would give a
memory LED error on the board when I placed both modules in slots 2 and 4 as recommended in the user manual. But even with just 1 module in slot 1 or 2 (tried both over a period of a few days), it still reboots randomly. It's been doing this even with a pretty barebones install of Windows 10 with just a web browser and MS office installed with latest Win10 updates.

Could it be a failing PSU? That's the only part I didn't upgrade when building the new computer. Should I give memtest86 a try on the single module installed? Or maybe I need to re-install Windows 10? :confused::confused:

MSI B250 PC Mate (I haven't tried updating BIOS yet)
Intel i5-7400 stock (not OC'ed)
Team 16gb (2x8gb) ddr4-3000 TLGD48G3000HC16CBK
Corsair 650W psu
Crucial 256GB ssd
3TB WD green hdd
Windows 10

Last edited:
Nonetheless, I would check to see if the timings being used by the bios at 2400 are what is suggested by the RAM manufacturer at that frequency. Install CPU-z and check the "Memory" tab (current frequency and primary timings) against what you see recommended for 2400 mhz in the "SPD" tab.

Nonetheless, I would check to see if the timings being used by the bios at 2400 are what is suggested by the RAM manufacturer at that frequency. Install CPU-z and check the "Memory" tab (current frequency and primary timings) against what you see recommended for 2400 mhz in the "SPD" tab.

Thanks. I have set some of the timings in BIOS and set it to 2400 manually. However, do you have any suggestions on what to set the command rate and tRFC to? I only saw CL 16-18-18-38 1.35v on the RAM label.

p.s. updated the RAM model in OP

When in doubt, set the command rate at 2 instead of 1. I don't have any recommendations for the tRFC. I would contact the memory manufacturer, let them know the number of sticks, total amount of RAM and the model of the product and ask for their recommendations. They can not only recommend primary timings but also secondary timings which aren't even shown in CPU-z at all.

When in doubt, set the command rate at 2 instead of 1. I don't have any recommendations for the tRFC. I would contact the memory manufacturer, let them know the number of sticks, total amount of RAM and the model of the product and ask for their recommendations. They can not only recommend primary timings but also secondary timings which aren't even shown in CPU-z at all.

Thanks! I also ended up updating the BIOS. Hasn't done any random rebooting since then after 18hrs and I hope it stays this way as it should. =)

I can't speak to Ryzen specifically, but my G.Skill won't take anything lower than 270 for the tRFC, so I keep it at 275. Made a small but definite difference in Aida. Low as possible and still stable is where I would set it. tREFI is trickier. When in doubt there go with the JEDEC standard. 3600 MHz=14040 3733 MHz=14559 3866 MHz=15077 4000 MHz=15600. (RAM speed [1/2 DDR] x 7.8= tREFI. Higher is faster, but it's a process, not a plug n play.

Aida will give you several sub timings when set to XMP, and Thaiphoon Burner will give you a lot of sub timings for the model RAM in their database.

Back