• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New build, let me know what you think....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

elcid79

Not big into overclocking, but I may do some minor tweaking. I know y'all know what your talking about so I would like your opinions....

CPU: Intel I5-3570k
MB: GA-Z77X-UD5H-WB WiFi
Video: SAPPHIRE 100352-2L Radeon HD 7950 3gb.
RAM: Patriot Viper 3 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 15000) Desktop Memory Model PV316G186C0K
PSU: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX 750M
HDD: Seagate ST2000DM001 Barracuda 7200RPM 2 TB SATA 6 GB/s NCQ 64 MB Cache 3.5-Inch Internal Bare Drive

Cooler: Corsair Hydro H60
Case: Zalman Z9 Plus
Lite-On Super AllWrite 24X SATA DVD+/-RW Dual Layer Drive
Keyboard: Sidewinder X4

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Hey, welcome to OCF! :beer:

When trying to recommend a build to you, there's some information that's extremely helpful for us to know. If you could answer these few short questions, we'd be happy to help!

• What are you planning to do with this compuer? Please be as specfic as possible.
  • What is your budget?
    1. Does this include a copy of Windows?
    2. Does this include peripheals (a keyboard, monitor, mouse, speakers, etc.)?
  • Are you from the United States or a different country? Are you ordering from your own country or from across borders?
    1. Wherever you may be from, does the store that you are planning to order from have a website? It's okay if it isn't in English, we can manage.
    2. If you are from the United States, do you live nearby a Microcenter?
  • Do you have any specific requests with the build?
    1. Do you plan on overclocking? If yes, do you have a specific goal in mind?
    2. Would you prefer the build to be particularly small?
    3. Would you prefer the build to be particularly quiet?
    4. In general, do you prefer this to be a computer that you can spend money on now and let it rest, or a box built for continuous upgrading?
    5. Do you ever plan on utilizing NVIDIA's SLI or AMD's CrossfireX technologies? These features, with a compatible motherboard, allow a user to link multiple identical graphic cards together for added performance. In real world terms, this lets you buy a second identical graphics card down the line as a relatively cheap and easy way to gain a fairly large boost in performance. However, this requires buying a SLI/CFX compatible motherboard and PSU now, which may result in slightly higher initial cost.

Once again, thank you in advance for taking the time to answer these, and I hope you enjoy your stay at OCF! :)

Really this PC is just to mess around with. I havn't had a desktop in years. May play some games, I have a bunch of older titles, like halflife 2 that I would like to play again. But I would like to try WarZ, DayZ, Guildwars 2 etc. BF3 (I play it all the time on xbox, but 64 player sounds FUN) And then just general productivity stuff. I was a CSCI major in college, so I am going to play around with writing some software on it. Nothing overly complicated or difficult though. Mostly just a new toy. @Vooodooo whats wrong with the case? The keyboard was a budgetary decision. I have an old fulltower ATX case at my house that I could throw everything in if that Zalman Gets to hot... Got it for about 35 bucks, so I figured it was wroth trying, because I don't have a lot of space at my current house.

Last edited:
As per, OS... I don't want / need an OS... And I have a monitor all ready... (Samsung S27A350H)

Budget was 1200.

As per, OS... I don't want / need an OS... And I have a monitor all ready... (Samsung S27A350H)

Budget was 1200.
you need an OS to use the system/
edit
are you saying you have one already?

@Vooodooo whats wrong with the case? The keyboard was a budgetary decision. I have an old fulltower ATX case at my house that I could through everything in if that Zalman Gets to hot... Got it for about 35 bucks, so I figured it was wroth trying, because I don't have a lot of space at my current house.

the case is not my stile, I would have gotten the cooler master 430 elite. or something like that.
as for the keyboard, well I'm more into mechanical keyboards.
nothing wrong with ether of them, just not what I would have bought.

I know I need an O/S to use the system. Haha, look up at the top I was a computer Science Major in college... Haha, although its been many many years, I at least still remember that!!! I just have windows Vista sitting around, gonna put that on and do a windows 8 upgrade...

Yes, thats the case at Newegg.... z9 Pro.... And I do need wifi, thats one of the reasons why I picked that Mainboard.

I understood members are here to help! Fair comment its not somebody's style, but its perfectly good PC case, so lets stop playing around here. And help this OP with his set up?

P.S. I am full believer in constructive help not monkeying around!

Last edited:
I will probably purchase another card down the road...... To extend the life of this PC once it gets dated. But not anytime soon.
While I have you all, are those liquid coolers okay. A little concerned about a prefab unit like that? And no maintenance? How does that work?

There are no stores anywhere near where I live... Has to be all ordered online.. Which is a bummer.

Yes, I just forgot to put it up top... Seagate ST2000DM001 Barracuda 7200RPM 2 TB SATA 6 GB/s NCQ 64 MB Cache 3.5-Inch Internal Bare Drive.

I will eventually put a 256gb or so SSD in there also, just can't afford it now. I also have an older Sata drive sitting around 500gb I may put linux on...

Water or Air Coolers!

To help you out with which way to go on cooling i will post you these to look at and think about! You can read the Info and decide the way to go either Air cool or water? ;)

1, http://www.hardwareheaven.com/revie...3-night-hawk-edition-review-introduction.html

2, http://www.thermalright.com/html/products/cpu_cooler/silverArrow_sb-e_extreme.html

3, http://www.vortez.net/articles_pages/corsair_hydro_series_h100i_review,5.html

The first 2 posts are popular air coolers the members use on here, the last post is a new water unit. Which is a complete self contained unit and easy to fit your case and set up. :thup:

Bump Hey Knufire buddy must be 2am in MI i hope you get some sleep my good friend! AJ.

not sure if those 2x120/ 240mm radiators will fit on that z9 case internally? Will they?

Back