• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New build, looking for suggestions.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Towel

Registered
Hello there,
I am building a new computer and I would like you to critique my build. If you see any way to improve my build or save me money without compromising too much performance I would like to know.

What will I be doing with my computer?
- Gaming (Starcraft 2 HOTS and Battlefield 4)
- Stock trading
- Watching videos/movies and listening to music
- Video editing

What is my budget?
My budget is $1500 - $2000 in Canadian dollars ($1131.34 - $1508.45 American Dollars) excluding computer peripherals and computer displays.

This is what I plan on purchasing for my build:
All prices are in Canadian dollars

CPU: Intel i7-4790K ($440)
Motherboard: ROG MAXIMUS VIII HERO ($310)
Graphics card: EVGA Geforce GTX 970 Superclocked ACX 2.0 4GB ($440) (Comes with $20 mail in rebate)
Hard Drive: 240 GB Sandisk Extreme Pro SSD ($150)
Memory: vengeance lpx 32gb ddr4 2400mhz ($310)
Power Supply: EVGA Supernova 750 G2 Modular 750W ($170) (Comes with $20 mail in rebate)
Case: Corsair Carbide series 400R Mid Tower ($130)

This equals to $1950 + $97.5 (sales tax) = $2047.5 - $40 (mail in rebate) = $2007.5

I plan on getting 2 monitors for now and possibly having a 3 or 4 monitor setup in the future.

I am set on getting the CPU, graphics card and hard drive, but I think I am getting more than I need with the motherboard and memory.
What do you guys think?

With saving you money in mind:
You don't need a Maximus hero, great board but overkill for most people. This is a tough price to beat for the GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-SOC $159.99 after MIR
SSD Samsung 850 Evo for 129.00 arguably one of the best SSD's for the buck.

Do you really need 32g of Ram? I would think 16 for video editing would be sufficient, additionally I doubt you'll notice any difference between 2133 Mhz and 2400. G Skill 2133 Cl 9 $135.00
Power Supply The Evga Super nova is a great Psu but you do not need more then a 500w PSU unless you plan on overclocking the pee out of the system. Even if you want to play it safe you can easily get away with a 600w unit. If you do plan on getting a second Gpu then stick with the 750w.

we need to know what res monitors you are getting, the 970 is a great card for everything at 1080, almost everything at 1440, if you are looking at over 1440 you might look at a 980.

Are you planning on gaming with just 1 monitor or using multi monitors for gaming? The 970 won't really cut it for 3.

Edit "high" preset with no AA in bf4 of 5680x1080 is 31 fps, and around 50 for a 980. That's a HUGE difference.

Why not skylake?

Ddr4 2800 cl14/15
Z170 based board...

It's a few percent faster for a few percent more.

he could make some of that up with the psu oklahomawolf has for sale, if he has access to the classies.

Processor is $50 more at ncix, good point. But you can get a $50 cheaper motherboard, a z170, too. Ram prices are close... in fact, he already has ddr4 listed in his first post (which is not compatible with z97/4790k anyway) so that doesn't change - total goes down if he gets 16gb even..

That said, I'd rather get the faster cpu and newer platform for the same money with a cheaper, but still will be great for his uses mobo... like this:http://m.ncix.com/products/sku/111248/1276

So, with $10 less outgoing, it's a faster system. And that isn't taking into account if he can go with less ram, or slightly slower (ddr4 3k). Lots of ways to get skylake with this budget.

Last edited:
Well that's not tit for tat though. A maximus is vastly above what he needs. Some 2133 ram and an extreme 4 would be perfectly suitable for his uses. If it came down to a higher end gpu vs skylake over devils canyon, I'd personally take the better gpu (especially for multi monitor). Just food for thought *shrug*

I would get Devils Canyon and a better gpu too, if needed. If it's one monitor gaming, I'd go skylake. With the money potentially saved on ram and the psu, a 980 may be wiithin reach anyway. A 980ti would be best for 3 monitor gaming to which I would then go DC and even cheaper z97 board to shoehorn in a 980ti.

Back