• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Build, Need Advice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Red-Dog

Hey everyone. I'm happy I found such a great source to help me with my questions.
I'm going to be building a new gaming/work computer (since my mobo got fryed in my last one; stupid tv adapter card!) and I put together a list of some parts I wish to purchase for the new rig. Here are my questions:
1. I would like to know if this is a good setup for the price range (~$2000).
2. Since I'm making a new rig, I'd like a new case aswell. Can anyone direct me to a nice case with good airflow and room?
3. Should I get a new HDD, I'm using old IDEs now.

Here is the list so far:
Processor:
AMD Athlon 64 3700 (is the 1mb cache worth it?)
Motherboard:
Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe nForce4 SLI (is this board okay?)
Hard Drive:
Seagate 300 GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache SATA
Memory:
TWINX2048-3200C2PT Corsair RAM (I do 3d work besides gaming.)

The rest of the parts will be taken from the old computrer.
What gfx card do you suggest that can be able to play the latest games (HL2, BF2 etc.).
And finally, what Power Supply is the best for this set up if a new one is needed? (I have a 350watt supply currently.)

Thanks in advance.
Red-Dog

I'm guessing you're talking about a socket 939 3600+ san diego, and yes the 1mb of cache really helps. As for the Asus board, I'd get a DFI instead. Yes, as of right now SATA is pretty much the standard. For a graphics card, an x800xl will play all those games. If you're going to play BF2 a lot, 2gb of memory will help a bunch but I only use 1gb and it works pretty good.

I'm not really fond of the Corsair RAM except for their value select. Do you have a budget for this system?

-1cem4n

Thanks for the replys.

@1cem4n, my budget is around $1500-$2000. What make of ram would you recommend instead of Corsair ?

Also if anyone could suggest a nice case it would be apperciated.

Thannks Again.
Red-Dog

1) You don't need a sli board. A dfi board is good.
2) If you do 3d WORK (as opposed to a minor hobby) seriously consider going intel and getting a duel core. Or getting a duel core for AMD if you can take the price, because this will seriously cut down your render time.
3) Psu, I'd probably get a seasonic s-12 500W at the minimum and be seriously thinking about the 600W. Other brands to consider are PC power and cooling if you have the money or a 550w fortron. I'm getting the 500w fortron but i'm not sure it'll be enough for your rig with overclocking.
4) My 6600 geforce $100 can play the latest games but I don't think this is what you mean :p. I'd get the 7800 if you like nvidia, the x800 if you like ati (the 850 might be out of your price range I dont know). Or get a slightly lesser model if you care to wait to see what ati has to offer in their r520.

You can make quite a nice computer with that amount of money. As for ckj's reply, but SLi motherboards have the OPTION of being able to run two video cards. I'd get the Asus SLi Motherboard if you're not overclocking and the DFI board if you are but both boards are solid motherboards.

For RAM, I'm a little partial(okay, maybe A LOT) to OCZ as my friend's mom works there. If you have enough money, get some OCZ Platinum Revision 2 or VX. If you want 2gb, get Corsair Value Select as they are 2-4-4-8 timings and still only $85 for a gb.

If you're looking for a clean, "professional" case I'd get the Lian-Li's. I really think that cases are the owner's preference. I use an x800Pro which is overclocked and it works WONDERFUL, especially for a 1year old card.

-1cem4n

Altho I do have the A8N SLI with an SLI configuration id have to say go with a DFI board instad like a lanboy or someother SLI DFI board. The DFI offers more long term option where as the Asus does not.

Cheers

Back