• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New build, need help. (Good lord not anther noob)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
So I just started to test all my hardware in my old system... Well I don't want to say this, but... Umm the dvd drive was the only bad part. I removed it from the system and it started working better.

And way I bought a new sata dvd drive.
I'll probably still sell everything and buy a new system some time soon, just not as soon as I thought I was.
Thanks for all the help guys.
I'll know what to buy when the time comes.

Last edited:
I hate to say it but . . . I told you so. To troubleshoot the existing system, that is.

I hate to say it but . . . I told you so. To troubleshoot the existing system, that is.

That only made the system useable.

I still have a load of caps soon to fail and still can't get both CPUs to work together right. (Bios problem) I'm using 2 CPUs that were not supported in smp with the board. I made my own bios for the system and I can use the CPUs. But smp suport is not quite right still. The gpu also needs some new caps and I can't seem to find a way to get 4gb of ram to work with 2800+ MPs.

Its still not quite usable. Some of the caps will have to be replaced soon on the motherboard and the gpu can wait as the caps are for the tv out. It will only get wose until I recap everything and find a psu with a higher 5v output. I'm sure the psu I have is killing the system. I need 30-35 amps on the 5v rail and only have 24v. Ever since I added the second cpu the system has gone down hill. Even after I take take the second cpu back out it still sucks. Well the mobo did have bad caps from the start. (Same kind used in dell gx270)

This system is just a ticking time bomb. I will need to replace it or dump more money into it to fix it.

Last edited:
Saturn, I'm interested in your parts when you get around to it. I'm sure we can make arrangements. :)

I'll remember you when I diside to sell it.
If I can get the second 2800+ to work I may keep the system. I just wish the motherboard used cheaper caps. I'll be latest 30$ for new caps. Then the gpu witch will be about 5$. If I do find a psu with 30+amps on the 5v output Iit will most likely be old and need recapped too.

Meh. I don't want to get rid of it, but a new sysyem just makes more since.
Also it's not a money problem, I only use the pc once or twice a month. If I used it more I would spend more on it.

Back