• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New build, need your help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

serotonin2k

Hello everyone,

I'm not even sure if I posted this in the right section (probably not...) but I need your guys' help. I want a strong computer (for the best value if possible).

I want to be able to play games on ultra settings, stream 1080p 60fps (NOT while playing PC games, only with capture card from XB1 gameplay), render videos quickly, I just want a strong system that will ALSO be future proof if possible. Oh, I'd like to get a good overclocking motherboard (will be OC'ing)

I only use one monitor (1080p 60hz)

I'm not sure if this the right rig I made, but I hope you guys can help me on this one.

My max budget is $1,050 CAD (i'm from Canada) however if an extra $500 makes THAT much of a difference, perhaps it could be $1,500 CAD.

Anyways, here's my rig:

CPU - AMD FX8320
GPU - ASUS GTX 960 2GB
Motherboard - MSI 970 Gaming
RAM - Corsair Vengeance 8 GB 1600 MHz
PSU - Thermaltake 550w
SSD - Samsung 850 Evo 120GB
Case - Corsair 100R

I went with an AMD build, I heard they were the best when it comes to "bang for the buck".

Let me know if this is a good enough rig.

Thank you.

:welcome: to the forums. you picked the right place to post.

Overall I would say that your build is functional, but not future proof.

You will soon want a larger SSD, the minimum size we generally recommend is a 256GB SSD that you can generally pick up for around $100 nowadays (sometimes as low as $80).

The main issue with AMD and the 'bang for your buck' argument is that you generally need a higher end motherboard (with a strong VRM section) and much better cooling than the intel counterpart and you get less performance out of it. And it uses much more wattage than Intel as well. Depending on the exact model of PSU that you selected it may not be good enough. MSI boards are very frowned upon for AMD builds (they tend to have a lot of issues).

This is a couple hundred more than your stated budget, but I believe it would blow your current system away:
http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/29Cw4D

If you're willing to look in the used market you could probably get even better prices for the majority of the parts as well.

Also, let me apologize for how terrible those prices are in Canada, that's craziness!

You will soon want a larger SSD, the minimum size we generally recommend is a 256GB SSD that you can generally pick up for around $100 nowadays (sometimes as low as $80).

The main issue with AMD and the 'bang for your buck' argument is that you generally need a higher end motherboard (with a strong VRM section) and much better cooling than the intel counterpart and you get less performance out of it. And it uses much more wattage than Intel as well. Depending on the exact model of PSU that you selected it may not be good enough. MSI boards are very frowned upon for AMD builds (they tend to have a lot of issues).

This is a couple hundred more than your stated budget, but I believe it would blow your current system away:

If you're willing to look in the used market you could probably get even better prices for the majority of the parts as well.

Also, let me apologize for how terrible those prices are in Canada, that's craziness!
I agree with Janus on most accounts. If you were building a strictly gaming rig the Intel build he posted would be a great choice. For rendering videos though the Fx 8xxx chips really do well. Unfortunately, if you do plan on overclocking Janus is 100% correct. You need a quality motherboard to be able to feed these Fx chips the voltage needed when Oced. You also need really good cooling to keep the temps down. The Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P is the least expensive motherboard I would consider, if I were purchasing a Fx 8xxx cpu and planned on Ocing it.

Hello everyone,

I'm not even sure if I posted this in the right section (probably not...) but I need your guys' help. I want a strong computer (for the best value if possible).

I want to be able to play games on ultra settings, stream 1080p 60fps (NOT while playing PC games, only with capture card from XB1 gameplay), render videos quickly, I just want a strong system that will ALSO be future proof if possible. Oh, I'd like to get a good overclocking motherboard (will be OC'ing)

I only use one monitor (1080p 60hz)

I'm not sure if this the right rig I made, but I hope you guys can help me on this one.

My max budget is $1,050 CAD (i'm from Canada) however if an extra $500 makes THAT much of a difference, perhaps it could be $1,500 CAD.

Anyways, here's my rig:

CPU - AMD FX8320
GPU - ASUS GTX 960 2GB
Motherboard - MSI 970 Gaming
RAM - Corsair Vengeance 8 GB 1600 MHz
PSU - Thermaltake 550w
SSD - Samsung 850 Evo 120GB
Case - Corsair 100R

I went with an AMD build, I heard they were the best when it comes to "bang for the buck".

Let me know if this is a good enough rig.

Thank you.

So you already have purchased these parts? You presented in past tense. I'm confused. Are you asking us for an assessment of what you already have or are the components you have listed a tentative proposal that you wish our input on?

I don't think that's what he meant, Trents. I think that's just the parts that he thought would be best.

The build that Janus put together is probably going to be the best you can do for the given budget. You could drop the board down to an EXT3 if you don't care about the sound quality, but to me the $20 is worth it for the ALC 1150 CODEC.

Hi, and thanks! :)

Yep - welcome to Canada... can't say anything really, everything in price is better in the states.

Thanks for your recommendation, but what do you think about the i5 6600k? Since it's a skylake cpu, would it be better to get this CPU instead? How much of a performance boost would I see with DDR4 RAM + skylake cpu?

What do you think about this rig?
https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/user/serotonin2k/saved/#view=L6GgXL

Only thing I'm uncertain about is the mobo and gfx card... not sure whether to get the R9 390 or GTX 970.

Also - is Black Friday/Christmas the best time to buy computer parts, and are the savings big? I can wait until then.

thx once again
I agree with Janus on most accounts. If you were building a strictly gaming rig the Intel build he posted would be a great choice. For rendering videos though the Fx 8xxx chips really do well. Unfortunately, if you do plan on overclocking Janus is 100% correct. You need a quality motherboard to be able to feed these Fx chips the voltage needed when Oced. You also need really good cooling to keep the temps down. The Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P is the least expensive motherboard I would consider, if I were purchasing a Fx 8xxx cpu and planned on Ocing it.
So you already have purchased these parts? You presented in past tense. I'm confused. Are you asking us for an assessment of what you already have or are the components you have listed a tentative proposal that you wish our input on?
Nah I didn't buy the parts, I just made this thread when I was half asleep last night, sorry.
I don't think that's what he meant, Trents. I think that's just the parts that he thought would be best.

The build that Janus put together is probably going to be the best you can do for the given budget. You could drop the board down to an EXT3 if you don't care about the sound quality, but to me the $20 is worth it for the ALC 1150 CODEC.
I wouldn't drop the $20, I'd rather have good sound quality :)

Thanks for your recommendation, but what do you think about the i5 6600k? Since it's a skylake cpu, would it be better to get this CPU instead? How much of a performance boost would I see with DDR4 RAM + skylake cpu?
The I5-6600k is about 5% faster then the 4690k. As far as DDR4 goes I believe DDR4 3000 Mhz is the sweet spot these days. Regarding what you said in the first post, "future proofing" you're do so a little more if you go with a 6600k over either the Fx or the 4690k as they are both dead sockets. Additionally, DDR4 is here to stay.

The I5-6600k is about 5% faster then the 4690k. As far as DDR4 goes I believe DDR4 3000 Mhz is the sweet spot these days. Regarding what you said in the first post, "future proofing" you're do so a little more if you go with a 6600k over either the Fx or the 4690k as they are both dead sockets. Additionally, DDR4 is here to stay.

Completely agreed, just note that you will be adding that couple hundred in to hit that 1500 mark with a skylake setup. I started with that when I was putting my parts list together for you but then dropped it down as it was getting more expensive.

Also - is Black Friday/Christmas the best time to buy computer parts, and are the savings big? I can wait until then.

If you're willing to be flexible with the brands and models you will definitely see some savings. If you're going to hold out for the exact brand and model of a psu, memory, mobo, etc then no. For example if you are open to a 970 from any major brand then you will probably find something cheaper, but if you are holding out for a sale on a specific evga oc edition 970 v2 then you should just buy now because chances are the specific components your are looking for won't be the ones that have a deal going on.

Back