• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New build, new thermal camera.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wjruth

I put together this rig to use for casual use and I have it folding on the side. I am using 3 case fans (2x 120, 1x 140) and the cpu is being cooled by a Gammaxx 400.

MZnhfXml.jpg

I decided to play around with the thermal camera and see what my case looked like under load while folding.
My CPU is reporting 42°C and GPU is around 62°C.

Standing about 8ft away, the case with side panel off, looks like this -
kvCbvTMl.jpg

Getting closer and focusing in on the GPU -

V7datNll.jpg

So now that I see what is being kept cool and what is warm, should I put a fan inside the case near the HDs to move the air between the GPU and PSU?

Airflow and temperatures with the side panel on will be different than with the side panel off.

With the panel off, the fans are drawing in cool air "directly".

With the panel on, the fans will be drawing through your intakes.

The pictures are cool! :thup:

So...... where are your case fans? I see one on the back? Are the other two on top? Where is the intake fan?

You need proper airFLOW. With the side panel on, as Jrclocker said, your airflow will change dramatically.

Front/sides = intake
Top/rear = exhaust

MbuSVK9l.jpg
120 in front, 140 on top, 120 in the rear. The PSU is flipped so it is pulling air from below and really doesn't contribute much.

Id flip that top fan to exhaust. It may yield a couple C warmer on the CPU since it isn't getting direct ambient air, but I think the GPU will be better off, slightly, with better airFLOW.

Airflow and temperatures with the side panel on will be different than with the side panel off.

With the panel off, the fans are drawing in cool air "directly".

With the panel on, the fans will be drawing through your intakes.

The pictures are cool! :thup:

All this +1.

MbuSVK9l.jpg
120 in front, 140 on top, 120 in the rear. The PSU is flipped so it is pulling air from below and really doesn't contribute much.

What do you mean the PSU is flipped? That is how the PSU is to sit in the case anyway. Do you have a fan in the side panel? If so set that as intake.

you can put it either way, some people have their pc sitting on carpet so they put the fan up instead

With case side on, original configuration.
Under load: GPU 62°C CPU 45°C
qvML8QGl.jpg

Top 140mm fan flipped so the air is exhausting.
Under load: GPU 60°C CPU 48°C
AxMXfjol.jpg

I have another 120mm fan for the case side, but I'll need to pick up a molex adapter as my mobo only has two fan headers. But you can see it installed in the second pic.

It will be interesting to see the difference with the extra fan installed.

Is it possible to set your camera to report degrees in C. I'm interested in seeing the temperature differential between ambient temp and component temp. This is me being lazy because I don't feel like doing the conversion.

Just a bit, yep. Pretty clear that was going to happen. :)

His case is hurting with intake due to the hdd cage blocking that fan. An intake on the side is going to mitigate both issues. I would even move the fan up top to the rear location which will further promote front to back airflow and minimize the heat rising off the gpu going through the cooler.

To me, the main issue is a lack of fresh air throughout with that case side on.

Jumped power from a molex for the side case fan. At 100%, I'm seeing CPU temps at 44°C and the GPU is at 60°C.
Thermal image shows how the fan as a cool area.
lApgp3Ql.jpg

I also changed the camera to C so no conversions needed. The case sides are showing 23°C.

Back