• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New build or scavenge old PC...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
From a less experienced perspective:
Find a used GPU on forum classifieds
Increase RAM
Go to SSD
Possibly go to 771 Xeon mod (depends on motherboard, which may be a problem in itself).
Over clocked Q6600 are not poorly regarded, Xeon mod (if motherboard supported does somewhat better depending on chip.
But, experimentation can spend a lot of money to little purpose.

There are interesting posts concerning Athlon 860K performance. Look at A10-7850 CHIP?

No 64 bit instructions. Everything in the OS gets done a tiny bit slower.

what do mean by this? That you wouldn't notice a difference betweenn32 and 64 (other than you'd run out of RAM faster)

You wont notice a difference on the processing side for what you do... Are there differences, sure. Are they negligible in most cases, yes. Its not something I would have mentioned, that is for sure.

Its worth it though to be able to use over 4GB of ram at minimum.

what do mean by this? That you wouldn't notice a difference betweenn32 and 64 (other than you'd run out of RAM faster)

Thanks for the clarification. I am hoping with the SDD that her reboots will be quick and she can just get in the habit of doing that 1-2 times a day to refresh the RAM.

But her main issue is not responding, so I am pretty confident that will go away. I rarely have those issues and our systems aren't that different.

SSD... and a system really doesn't need to be rebooted to clear the ram... She just needs to understand her PC use habits are not conducive to her system really...

Back