• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Build, wanting insight and ideas

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ancobacali

Hello all,
I joined this forum a couple years ago when I did my first gaming build, but can't recall my login...anyhow I am working on my 4th build now, this one for myself and would like some information from people who happen to have some of the same components.

Ok from my past I know I am going to use the HAF X case and before I had used a H100 using two fans on either side for push/pull and I had used the Cougar Vortex fans. I see the H100 is now discontinued, so in the HAF X I either want to go with either some watercooling or the Coolermaster V8 GTS for air cooling. So question, which rad would work well for the HAF X and would it be worth it as far as cost over the V8 GTS.

Second question, I am a gamer, although I mainly play WOW and EverQuest2 and EQ3 when it comes out. At any rate, for video cards I prefer Nvidia so what card would be the best bang for the buck? I have read up on the 970 and also like the 760 but also saw that Asus has the MARS 760x2 but kinda pricey although not out of my price range, but would prefer to spend less if I can get a card that will work fine playing my games with settings maxed.

BTW my budget for my new build which includes monitor, keyboard, mouse, OS and of course the pc itself is $2700

Check this out.
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/p6m499

The HAF X is outdated. You can use it, but there are much better cases for the money these days.
That V8 GTX is a waste of money. Period. If you're going air go Noctua or Phanteks. If water go with the one on this build.
Don't even consider the 760 or MARS 760. 970/980 or bust.

You've got a solid build here that'll last for years to come. It leaves room for SLI on the power supply.
You have a nice 1440p monitor on there, because I wouldn't go with anything less on your budget (unless you're going for 3 monitor surround)

Ok well one of the things I was contemplating was AIR or Water...which would you choose and the reason I picked HAF X was because I had installed watercooler in it before so have experience with that case already. I don't want to do a lot of case modding but if I was to do watercooling I want one like H series where its all self contained, so what case and size rad/cooler you suggest? BTW thanks for the tips

Already had the recommended case and cooler in that build.

How much are you trying to overclock? That determines if I would pick air or water.

Back