• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New build Woes :/

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Viol8ted

Ok just put together this system:
Gigabyte z97x-udh5
i7 4790k
G.Skill 8GB Sniper
Corsair h100i
samsung evo 250gb
samsung dvd burner
Corsair RM850 PSU
Windows 8.1

Build went smooth. Set ram timings in BIOS. Installed windows got all drivers installed even played some Dayz :p. All this on stock cpu speeds. Making sure everything seemed to be in order before i started ocing. I installed aida64 extreme and tried to run a stress test to check temps and as soon as I clicked start bam! Instareboot. So rebooted went back in and installed prime95 and tried a blend test bam! Instareboot again! Right now I'm running memtest 86.....any ideas/suggestions to try?

On idle hottest core was 27 playing dayz 54 Or so.

I hear a click sound when the reboot happens

Last edited by a moderator:
Since you are still on stock speeds and this is happening, I would let the memory go on auto instead of you manually setting it. It will likely go back to 1333 or 1600Mhz and its stock timings. Then, enable the XMP profile for your ram and see if that is stable.

You may want to update your signature as well. :)

I hear a click sound when the reboot happens

Microsoft has code, probably at least since Windows 2000, that when the kernel don't like something, it reboots the PC and turns off the HDD.

(That's probably the click you heard) (then you hear it spin back up) (Microsoft's kernel panic routine spins down the HDD, too.)

It may be insufficient bus voltage. I dunno if that would be under "VTT" or not.

Back