• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New build won't post

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jules

When I turn it on using the power button, it powers on for a second, during which time the fans just start to spin. The power supply fan gets going, the heatsink fan doesn't even get to go around a few times, it just moves a bit or goes around once or twice. So then it shuts down for a few seconds, only to start up again. I left it for about 30 seconds and it kept repeating the on-off process. If I try to push the power button to turn it off, it doesn't respond. When I flip the switch on the back of the PSU, it goes through one more round of powering on and off and then turns off.

I've tried reseating the heat sink and processor, but I didn't remove and reapply the thermal compound (it was late and I just wanted to get it to turn on for a few seconds). I've got a blue orb II anyway.

I do not have a monitor connected because my onboard video is VGA and my LCD's use DVI and I don't have an adapter, my new video card is on its way.

Do you guys think it could be because no monitor is connected?

I'm going to try inserting each stick of ram individually.
I'm going to try using a screwdriver on the power switch to see if that is it.
I'm going to try powering on the motherboard while it's removed from the case to see if there is a short.

I have the lanbox lite case, Gigabyte micro atx GA-G33M-DS2R, Crucial ballistix, Q6600 G0, Orb II heatsink, Corsair HS620W power supply.

The motherboard has the contacts around the screw holes and I have it just screwed in. There is one hole on the motherboard that has ground contacts that the case has a metal pin that goes through it, so I don't have that hole screwed down. I don't have any other standoffs or anything. The case has black foam between the metal and the motherboard. I'm wondering if the board is shorting on the case. They didn't give me any standoffs with the case, just screws. I'm assuming I don't need them.

I've built 2 other computers, but that was like 4 years ago.

My old build is so old I can't test most of my parts.

I disconnected my hard drive and optical drive and still no change.

If anyone can give me some stuff to try, I'd appreciate it.

1st check all connection, but think you did that.
2. Are there any error messages if your mb has an readout.
3. Put only what you need in cpu, 1 stick of ram, one hd, etc if that does not work, rotate through you different ram sticks to see if they are ok. If that does not work and you have old components like the video card try it with the old video card. pnly none required boards at this point leave out sound card, network card, 2 nd video card if sli, etc.
4. that failes it could be the cpu, mb, or ps.

1st check all connection, but think you did that.
Yeah, but I am thinking of removing everything and starting over in case I missed something

2. Are there any error messages if your mb has an readout.
It literally only turns on for about half a second.

3. Put only what you need in cpu, 1 stick of ram, one hd, etc if that does not work, rotate through you different ram sticks to see if they are ok. If that does not work and you have old components like the video card try it with the old video card. pnly none required boards at this point leave out sound card, network card, 2 nd video card if sli, etc.
Will do. I have a TI-4200 laying around :eek: I think that will go in, it's so old, I'm not sure, but I'll try it.

4. that failes it could be the cpu, mb, or ps.
Hope it doesn't come to that. I can test the PS in my old rig, but if I can't fix the problem and it's not the PS, I'm going to RMA the motherboard first.

Thanks for your help. I'll post later when I get home about what I tried and hopefully something worked.

How about some specs? .....or would you like guesses...........
I'm not sure what specs you want, I posted all of my components?
Here they are again: lanbox lite case, Gigabyte micro atx GA-G33M-DS2R, Crucial ballistix, Q6600 G0, Orb II heatsink, Corsair HS620W power supply.

This is so fricking weird, when I disconnected the 4 pin 12v CPU connector, my the power supply stayed on and my fans stayed on. This is not supposed to happen. The manual says it should not turn on without the 4 pin connector.

What do you all think it could be?

I'm gonna try the power supply in my other computer.

I had a problem like this before; it was unexplainable. I went to frys and had them try and get it working. They thought my processor was broken, as my motherboard worked with another processor of a different type. But for some reason, my motherboard could not work with the E6550. Not any motherboard of the same model could. Fry's tried the same mobo-cpu pair with their own new parts and it wouldn't work either. I never got an explanation why also. After being at fry's for several hours, I decided just to return it all and go AMD.

I think intel might have some freak compatibility errors, but I'm not sure.

Well I put the new power supply into my old rig and pretty much the same thing happened, it turned on and off and stayed off this time. Tried removing the 4 pin cable and wouldn't turn on at all. It's the corsair HS-620, which I thought was really reliable, but this one appears to be DOA. I'm gonna go buy a power supply to try, and if it works, I'll RMA my corsair and return the one I buy.

I had a problem like this before; it was unexplainable. I went to frys and had them try and get it working. They thought my processor was broken, as my motherboard worked with another processor of a different type. But for some reason, my motherboard could not work with the E6550. Not any motherboard of the same model could. Fry's tried the same mobo-cpu pair with their own new parts and it wouldn't work either. I never got an explanation why also. After being at fry's for several hours, I decided just to return it all and go AMD.

I think intel might have some freak compatibility errors, but I'm not sure.

That is weird, I hope a new power supply cures things for me. I can't return everything, have to go RMA, most of my stuff is over 30 days old. This is the last time I order stuff at different times.

I'm not sure what specs you want, I posted all of my components?
Here they are again: lanbox lite case, Gigabyte micro atx GA-G33M-DS2R, Crucial ballistix, Q6600 G0, Orb II heatsink, Corsair HS620W power supply.
Duh! I didn't look hard enough...sorry.

Duh! I didn't look hard enough...sorry.
No problem!

So I bought a new power supply from best buy, got a BFG 650 watt and I got it to post!

Nothing like seeing all my blue lights come on and hearing that beautiful single beep from the speaker.
6a00c22525992f8fdb00c225282727f219-500pi

My video card comes tomorrow I hope. Then I'll be folding with the quad.

Got an RMA # for the corsair and will be sending it back to be fixed.
I got 30 days to return the BFG I bought.
Wish I could return the corsair, I like the BFG better, it has another blue light for my case and lifetime warranty.

Back