• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mattt

Registered
Hey everyone ;)

I'm going to be building a new gaming pc , just have a couple of questions.
The current spec :

Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 S775, 1.86Ghz, 1066Mhz FSB, Conroe Core, 2M Cache OEM (w/o Heat Sink Fan)

Gigabyte GA 965P-DS3 iP965, S775, PCI-E (x16), DDR2 533 / 667 / 800, SATA II, SATA RAID, ATX

Antec Super LANBOY Aluminum Super Mini Tower Case - No PSU

580W HiperPower Type-R Modular Blue PSU Quiet Dbl Fan aPFC ATX2.2 20/24 Pin (RoHS)

Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro - P4 up to 4.4GHz - S775 Dual Core / Core2Duo Ready

Corsair 1Gb (2X512Mb) Corsair TwinX XMS2, DDR2 PC6400 (800), 240 Pin, Non-ECC Unbuffered, CAS 5-5-5-15

160Gb Maxtor 6G160EO DiamondMax Plus 17, SATA300, 7200 rpm, 8MB Cache, NCQ, 9.0 ms

256MB Leadtek 7900GS PCI-E (x16), Mem 1320 MHz, GPU 450 MHz, 20 Pipes, 2x Dual Link DVI-I/HDTV

First off, my mate said that if i'm going to overclock it's best to get good ram i.e. PC6400 so I decided to go for 1Gig of PC6400 rather than 2 gig of something else. As the super lanboy is a small case will all this hardware fit well? I'm not sure what cpu cooler to get (it really depends on what fits in the case) at the moment i'm looking at the Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro, has anyone use this? How well does it perform and how loud is it? Last question :p Is it worth paying the extra and getting the e6400?

Thanks in advance, matt

Sorry if i've posted in the wrong place I wasn't sure where to post

Yes, IMO PC6400 is worth it. I know you can find good 2GB Pc6400 kits for a bareable, because for gaming 2 gigs really helps out.

For the cooler, either a Thermaltake Big Typhone, Thermalright 120, or Zalman CPNS9500.

I would also suggest eVGA for your GFX card. I am getting a 7900GS soon and the evga is supposed to have better memory (samsung) and plus evga has excellent customer support and stup up program for when Dx10 is out.

OH! and I would reccomend againts that hiper PSU, I just had one die on me. Check out the OCZ Powerstream 520.

Nice build otherwise, and WELCOME!

Yeah, well hes obviously shooting for 100$, but yea, if you want to spend about 25 bucks more, the GameXstream 600w is awesome, I am getting one to replace my Hiper and to power my conroe upgrade.

For the cooler, either a Thermaltake Big Typhone, Thermalright 120, or Zalman CPNS9500.

Which of these will actually fit in the case? =/

Thanks for the help so far, anychance of a link to a 2gig kit?

Thanks

edit - I'm considering the akasa eclipse 62, how heavy and what are the dimensions of this case as i'm planning to attends LANs

Last edited:
I don't think i've ever heard of any problems with fans on a lanboy. But most of the forums I troll on, people have full tower cases.

Check out the Tuniq Tower. I haven't done fan cooling in awhile but I heard it's really good cooler.

I would also drop the Hiper PSU. I have a 600w GameXstream and love it.

I would also recomment upgrading to 2gb (longer durability). Could you not squeeze the extra $100 in the budget?

Thanks for the reply i'll have a look :) Would you say upgrading to the e6400 is a good idea, also is the extra £20 for the 600w GameXsteam worth it?

Last edited:
mattt said:
Thanks for the reply i'll have a look :) Would you say upgrading to the e6400 is a good idea, also is the extra £20 for the 600w GameXsteam worth it?

I'm just not a fan of Hiper. If you want to spend less then $100 check out seasonic, or enhance. If you're going to overclock, I don't think so. Both the e6300 and e6400 are good overclockers.

And yes I think the extra $$ is worth spending it on the OCZ

Back