• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Build.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

don256us

Uber Folding Senior
I'm finally putting my Intel core I7-920 to rest. It's on its 3rd MB and still running strong but the current X58 MB lost two PCIe x16 slots and I'm just not happy with that.

I bought a Core I7 3960x from the classies here and a MSI X79 MB from fleabay. I had 32 GB of DDR3 1600 from two or more years ago still factory sealed so I opened those up.

The final build should look something like this:

Core I7=3960x
Cooler Master 212 Hyper Evo
MSI X79A-GD65 (8D)
AMD 7990
Seasonic 1050
16 GB Ripjaw DDR3 1600
16 GB Hyper X DDR3 1600
2x Samsung 830 240 GB SSD in RAID 0
2 x DVD burners

All in my Full tower Fractal Design case.

Newer than your old PC, but still plenty of improvement...just a bit dated. I would have went X99 at least.

Be careful on mixing and matching that ram...

Should be a beast! Enjoy! :)

I had a cost limit that I wanted to maintain. Going with the X79 allowed me to use RAM that I already had. Since I game moderately and do a lot of Folding, my main emphasis is GPU not CPU or RAM.

I too have a concern about the RAM issue but I'm hoping that the fact that they have the same timings and the fact that X79 is 4-channel, that I'll be fine. If not, I'll be down to 16 GB of RAM which is plenty. My current rig has 24 GB and I haven't run virtual RAM for years. My usage of RAM while gaming, folding, email and web has never gone above half usage.

They have the same primary timings... lord knows the secondary/tertiary...but if it works, it works! :)

Here is all that I have right now. Many of the parts are in my current rig.

IMG_20160114_191242.jpg

IMG_20160114_191256.jpg

Back