• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Palazar

Registered
Hi,
I've joined to be given a little help in choosing my next PC and I'd be very grateful for any input.
I'm currently looking at this: https://www.cclonline.com/pc/gaming-pcs/ryzen/ccl-reaper-gaming-pc/.
I don't really have any technical knowledge apart from how to flick the on/off switch. I'm just looking for a good budget priced PC that I can run games at a good frame rate and this seems to fit the bill.
I think 'seems' is the operative word, in that I can only assume it will as my expertise is best left unmentioned.
My budget is around the price of this particular model, but any advice would be very greatly appreciated.

The specs of the system you reference would allow you to play essentially all current games at a good frame rate at a display resolution of 1080p as long as the detail options on the game settings are not jacked up too high. You would not be able to play the most demanding games at acceptable frame rates if the details are on the highest configuration settings. But that system has good balance between the power of the CPU and the power of the GPU and would seem to be an excellent value overall. I like it that it has both an SSD and a 2gb spinner hard drive for storage. Great warranty too.

Looks like you would need to buy a display separately. What about mouse and keyboard? Or do you already have these peripherals?

3GB GPU at 1080p? I wouldn't do that as a starting point personally. Get the 6GB version of that card or preferably, a 1070 if the budget allows. As trents said, you are already starting off a bit behind the curve with a 1060.

The specs of the system you reference would allow you to play essentially all current games at a good frame rate at a display resolution of 1080p as long as the detail options on the game settings are not jacked up too high. You would not be able to play the most demanding games at acceptable frame rates if the details are on the highest configuration settings. But that system has good balance between the power of the CPU and the power of the GPU and would seem to be an excellent value overall. I like it that it has both an SSD and a 2gb spinner hard drive for storage. Great warranty too.

Looks like you would need to buy a display separately. What about mouse and keyboard? Or do you already have these peripherals?

Hi,
thank you for your quick replies.
Both of you have given me food for thought.
I have a k/b and mouse from my previous set up but will probably be in the market for something new when I finally decide on which PC to buy.
The 1070 looks like the better option, of course, but I was under the impression that the 1060 can run most modern games reasonably well. Unfortunately my budget is
under constraint at the moment so it would have to be the 1060 until I can invest in a superior card.
Once again thank you for help; it is very much appreciated.

man, they want 100 euro for a jump to a 6 gig card!!!!! ouch!!!!!!
Precisely.:mad:
I've downgraded the CPU because there doesn't seem to be that much difference in quality according to a lot of sites. Am I correct in this or should I stick with the 2600 and not the revised 1600?

Last edited:
Unless the 1060 is a shorter term card, I'd go with the 6GB if a 1070 isn't possible. There are several titles out already, more weekly, that can eclipse 3GB use at 1080p. If you start to see hitching and such, you'll have to turn other settings down.

I'm going to go with the 1060 6GB. CPU is open to change though. What's your opinion on the downgrade to 1600? It's financial and general opinion more than anything else.
Thanks.

I'm going to go with the 1060 6GB. CPU is open to change though. What's your opinion on the downgrade to 1600? It's financial and general opinion more than anything else.
Thanks.

You will only see a marginal performance difference in the 2600 v. the 1600 I think. http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/AMD-Ryzen-5-2600-vs-AMD-Ryzen-5-1600/3955vs3919

If push comes to shove budget wise between the faster CPU and the higher memory GPU, I'd go with the 6gb 1060 and the Ryzen 5 1600.

Well shoot they want a lot of money for that machine.

I have a B350 MSI Tomahawk, Ryzen 5 1600, MSI GTX 1050 TI Gaming X 4GB and 16GB of DDR4 2400 currently in my more permanent build that was able to run the CPU at 4GHz with the memory at 3000 speeds with the stock AMD heatsink/fan. The CPU cost me $139 the motherboard $80 the graphics card was $200and the memory was $150. That would be roughly 446.43 pounds. That computer seems pretty high in price. The PSU case and drives they are offering certainly aren't worth anywhere near 400 pounds.

Have you considered building your own machine and would you consider lightly used parts from the classified section?

Well shoot they want a lot of money for that machine.

I have a B350 MSI Tomahawk, Ryzen 5 1600, MSI GTX 1050 TI Gaming X 4GB and 16GB of DDR4 2400 currently in my more permanent build that was able to run the CPU at 4GHz with the memory at 3000 speeds with the stock AMD heatsink/fan. The CPU cost me $139 the motherboard $80 the graphics card was $200and the memory was $150. That would be roughly 446.43 pounds. That computer seems pretty high in price. The PSU case and drives they are offering certainly aren't worth anywhere near 400 pounds.

Have you considered building your own machine and would you consider lightly used parts from the classified section?

Hi,
Sorry for taking so long to reply.
My power supply exploded, so my PC has been in for repair.
In reply to your query, I'm not technically proficient enough to build my own PC.
I would be too wary about what damage I could do whilst assembling.
Prices in the UK aren't as competitive as they are in the States so costs are always going to be a problem.
I've recently visited a local PC firm who have quoted over a thousand pounds for the same build I have mentioned in my initial post. So basically my hands are tied.
Do I buy from a local firm who can be at my beck and call or a reputable bespoke online firm for a slightly cheaper quote?
I just want a PC that's slightly future proof for a couple of years that's not going to wipe out my bank account.
With regard to the local firm, I can only give them the specs from what I assume are quality builds from online suppliers.
So I'm quite naive when it comes to asking for specific hardware, i.e. motherboard, type of fan, etc.
It's all about a small budget that has a little flexibility so any advice would be very helpful.
I apologise if all of this a little long winded, but I just don't want to have to keep bothering users with the details repeatedly.
Thanks in advance.

Hi,
Sorry for taking so long to reply.
My power supply exploded, so my PC has been in for repair.
In reply to your query, I'm not technically proficient enough to build my own PC.
I would be too wary about what damage I could do whilst assembling.
Prices in the UK aren't as competitive as they are in the States so costs are always going to be a problem.
I've recently visited a local PC firm who have quoted over a thousand pounds for the same build I have mentioned in my initial post. So basically my hands are tied.
Do I buy from a local firm who can be at my beck and call or a reputable bespoke online firm for a slightly cheaper quote?
I just want a PC that's slightly future proof for a couple of years that's not going to wipe out my bank account.
With regard to the local firm, I can only give them the specs from what I assume are quality builds from online suppliers.
So I'm quite naive when it comes to asking for specific hardware, i.e. motherboard, type of fan, etc.
It's all about a small budget that has a little flexibility so any advice would be very helpful.
I apologise if all of this a little long winded, but I just don't want to have to keep bothering users with the details repeatedly.
Thanks in advance.
Actually what I meant about used parts was the classifieds or ebay. The prices that the site are just so expensive.

If you want new parts and you want a local builder what about these guys? https://www.overclockers.co.uk/ocuk...g-pc-configurator-fs-1aj-og.html#t=a7b2c4e;h1

I tweaked the configuration. It's a 1600 instead of a 2600 but the 1600 is still a very nice processor but now you get a GTX 1060 6GB for £33.81 more.

Thanks for the quick response.
I've followed the link and this notification came up: "We tried to load your configuration but there was an issue, please check all your options." next to the graphics card. I'm assuming it's a compatibility issue?

edit:Just had a reply from customer support saying that the card is out of stock and there is no eta for new parts.
Revised version? Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 WindForce OC 6144MB GDDR5 PCI-Express or would that be a problem?

Last edited:
I've followed the link and this notification came up: "We tried to load your configuration but there was an issue, please check all your options." next to the graphics card. I'm assuming it's a compatibility issue?

edit:Just had a reply from customer support saying that the card is out of stock and there is no eta for new parts.

Could it mean they are out of stock on that card? There should not be any compatibility issues unless the card was too long to fit in the chosen case or something.

Could it mean they are out of stock on that card? There should not be any compatibility issues unless the card was too long to fit in the chosen case or something.

Out of stock. So I chose another card :Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 WindForce OC 6144MB GDDR5 PCI-Express. I'm assuming that there isn't much difference between the two.
But I could be wrong.

Revised version? Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 WindForce OC 6144MB GDDR5 PCI-Express or would that be a problem?

:( I'm sorry I didn't think to add it to the cart to see if it was in stock. Maybe check to see if they have another card. An AMD card would also be a decent buy at that performance level.

Out of stock. So I chose another card :Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 WindForce OC 6144MB GDDR5 PCI-Express. I'm assuming that there isn't much difference between the two.
But I could be wrong.

Is this card ok?
No need to apologise by the way. :)

But I could be wrong.
If that is in stock you should be ok. :)

Thanks-I'll make enquiries about purchasing. I appreciate all the help I've received.

Back