• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cezar

Hello everyone,

I narrowed my choice to the combo of 2700x and x470 Taichi ($410). Taichi is very close price wise to x370 Asus Crosshair 6 Extreme, which I was looking at before. Taichi does not have all of the buttons for overclocking, but it has a newer chipset and a great VRM.

Right now I am looking for RAM. I another thread on this forum I was advised to get Flare X 3200 CL14 16GB. This memory however is not listed on the AsRock QVL list. The list seems to contain B-Dies that are either not available for purchase or 4 x 4GB, which got to be less than optimal. I am not sure which memory to get. Have anyone tried Flare X CL 14 on Taichi?

Considering this memory is pretty expensive, is there a better value out there?

The build so far will look like this https://pcpartpicker.com/list/2kR6GG

Any suggestions on case or liquid cooling are also welcome. I was looking at EK S kits (360mm mainly) for $269 but that is a lot of money. Is there a way to assemble something with 360mm and good pump for around $120-150 without having a chance of frying your system because of leaks? In general my goal is great cooling, no leaks.

I already have PSU, GPU(weak, but still), and storage included on pcpartpicker list.

Last edited:
Get the memory, I don't care if it's not on the QVL. It's going for good prices now and it should work just fine. Recent tech news indicates it is going out of production so get it while you can.

Good choice on the mobo and CPU, by the way.

A seller on one of the forums offers Trident Z F4-3200C14D-16GTZR 16GB for $125, which is not on the QVL either, but has to be a B-die. The reviews on newegg are mixed. Also the GSkill website states that warranty is non-transferable unlike on CPUs. Does that make purchase of a used RAM directly from owner a bad idea?
Has anyone tried to service used RAM through warranty?

I think either purchase will probably work out for you on a 4xx chipset board. I can tell you that on an ASRock B350 board (my wife's computer) that non B-die Trident Z would not run at the full 3200 mhz but the FlareX B die would. The non B Die Trident Z would run at the full 3200 mzh and even at 3466 on my MSI B450i gaming plus a/c.

This memory however is not listed on the AsRock QVL list.
There are way too many RAM makers and models for board makers to test and certify them all. So you don't have to buy listed RAM. But to ensure compatibility, should buy RAM with the same specs as listed RAM.

As for a case, I really like Fractal Design cases. They have great designs, great cooling options, included fans are excellent (and silent! :)). Check out the Define R6. It is all of the above and has easy to access and clean filters, reversible front door, nice cable management options and a timeless, classic but conservative appearance that will never go out of style.

I don't think you will really need a 360 radiator as the Ryzen's are pretty power efficient and the oveclock generally tops out before voltages get so high that heat becomes a real problem. Most any garden variety AIO 240 water system should do you fine. Now if you were going with Threadripper you would benefit from a 360 radiator.

Back