• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New (built) rig opinions, advice and sleeving/lighting help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

skorpien

Hi all,

I'm new to these forums and figured I'd list my build and see what you all thought.

Case: Antec Nine Hundred II V3 Gamer Case

CPU: Intel Core™ i7-2600K Processor, 3.40GHz w/ 8MB Cache

Motherboard: Asus P8P67 PRO Rev 3.0 w/ Dual DDR3 1600, 7.1 Audio, Gigabit Lan, 1394, PCI-E, Quad CrossFireX / SLI

Memory: Patriot Gamer 2 Series, Division 2 Edition DDR3 8GB (2 x 4GB) PC3-12800 Enhanced Latency Kit

HDD: 2 x Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black 7200rpm SATA III w/ 64MB Cache in RAID 0

DVD Drive: Samsung SH-222AB 22x DVD-Writer, SATA, Black, OEM

Video Card: HIS Radeon HD 6850 1GB GDDR5 PCI-E w/ Dual DVI, HDMI, DisplayPort

PSU: Corsair HX 850W Power Supply w/ 140mm Fan

Keyboard: Razer BlackWidow Mechanical Keyboard

Mouse: Razer Imperator Ergonomic Laser Gaming Mouse

I realize I haven't listed a cooler as I'm going with the stock cooler (not thinking of OC'ing yet) and the 6850 is a bit underpowered, but I don't need anything more powerful for my gaming needs just yet.

I'd also like to get some advice on lighting and sleeving. The Nine Hundred Two case came with blue LED fans, and while they look pretty neat, they hardly light the interior much at all.

I was thinking of making the interior match the blue of the LEDs, but I'd also like to put in some purple UV sleeving for the cables. What would be the best way to achieve this?

Would putting blue cold cathode lights wash out the purple sleeves? Do I still require UV lights if I go with blue cold cathode lights? Would LED work better? Thanks all for any advice/comments.

PS, what would be the best place to order these parts? Preferably one that delivers to Canada without exorbitant shipping costs.

Bitfenix Alchemy cable extentions will get you where you want to go lazily and quickly. They come in purple AFAIK. Lighting wise just get an LED strip in the size that you want. Using a fluorescent bulb in a PC seems a bit wacky to me. Lots of people do it, it's just more junk IMO. An LED strip uses less power, never burns out, and doesn't need a ballast so it's more compact overall inside the case.

Back