• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New cards from AMD in two weeks ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
ASUS Radeon R9 390X DirectCU II OC details leak, has 8GB of GDDR5 RAM

"The details leaked tease that the ASUS Radeon R9 390X DirectCU II OC will feature 8GB of GDDR5, 1070MHz Core, 6GHz on the 8GB of VRAM spread on a 512-bit memory bus. Connectivity wise, we'll have one DisplayPort, one HDMI, and two DVI-D. The ASUS Radeon R9 390X DirectCU II OC will sport 2816 stream processors, 176 texture mapping units (TMU) and 64 ROPs.

The 8GB of RAM being clocked at 6GHz is a change from the 5GHz on the R9 290X, so that's most likely what we can expect from the other Radeon R9 390X cards when they launch. ASUS has two 8-pin PCIe connectors on the card, and an estimated price of around $449 when it launches later this year."

Linky: http://www.tweaktown.com/news/45756...u-ii-oc-details-leak-8gb-gddr5-ram/index.html

Let's just see if $50 less than it's competitor is worthwhile with the 4GB more vram.

Guess still to much unknown, but one thing is almost certain: Only the highest end model will/may feature HBM and its not truly the card able to provide cash... it is a "image runner" such as almost any of the flagship cards. Well, for Titan users i kinda feel sorry because it usually doesnt take many months for them to become beaten by something else... but the richest of us just want the "edge" doesnt matter how much common sense involved. In my mind, HBM may allow for a higher surface so in that term even more TDP can be put down on a single chip, although it is still way to fast for almost any card nowadays. Obviously AMD wont agree, but easy to find out looking at Nvidia cutting memory interfaces over and over with high success. Maybe a 980 TI comparable card may have use for HBM at 4K resolution, but it wont work without SLI/CF. I think, AMD need a new hype (HBM and more) else it will become critical at market sales because it seems like that they made pretty few progress in architecture improvements the past 3.5 years (since 7970), so it may be even difficult to keep pace with a 980 TI, which is basically a "must", but who knows... surprises can always happen. Of course Nvidia was finally releasing the TI version, a matter not a surprise at all... it is almost psychological warfare to keep people away from AMD just at the correct timeline.

But what would be the pro of going for 390X? Well... less arrogant attitude, more RAM, better value (price/performance), the scaling at very high res could be better but takes several cards ... not sure what else i could add. Same for the so called "Fury cards",... but personally i am feed up with all the "rebadges", its just leeching out to much. Wise? Well... still have to remember that both "next gen" consoles are AMD GCN based and even if most PC users may laugh at it and are considering PC as the only "valid" machine, even the best driver cant necessarily match up a "code optimized" game for a certain architecture. A good code is a powerful tool that is ignored by the power users a lot (they may think, hardware can fix it all... a one sided view).

Still, the old GCN cant compare with Maxwell in efficiency (and Maxwell is out for so long already), i think it will fail so hard... if such a rebadge truly comes true it is a hint of big issues on the AMD side, but finally its to much guessing still... the thing i hate the most is that they truly are playing "secret treasure" game... and no one know any real details in advance until launch day and in term anyone is releasing any infos before NDA... big problems, i dunno if that is truly the way to go for this industry because it is the way of "lack on transparency" and is usually here in order to fool the truly dumb customers... take it or leave it but only a few % seems to read such a forum and other useful websites and even less are doing mindful research.

I dunno whats going on exactly behind the scenes but its clear to me that AMD is in a big financial crisis for a while already and its totally common sense, they simply cant catch up with competition... so people simply buy less of their products. Not a nice thing to see because there is to much elitist jerks on this industry already who simply monopolize certain things and without real competition simply play the "continuously upgrading" game so that basically any new hardware is outdated in a few months. Leading to a artificially created "quasi competition" that isnt even a competition... it just seems to look like, so that the customers can always feel that they may need "something better".... finest throwaway society rule as its finest it seems. But ultimately, no matter how hopeless it seems to be, i tend to buy less with brain but more with hearth... and who knows... at the point of going the "heart way"; even the brain will become affected and a new common sense is ruling.

Last edited:
Hi , Ivy ! I agree with your take on competition. I definitely got a chuckle from this

there is to much elitist jerks on this industry already who simply monopolize certain things and without real competition simply play the "continuously upgrading" game so that basically any new hardware is outdated in a few months.

What seems to be widely accepted as 'progress' in many cases is just taking the last Big Leap and dragging it out for months (years?). Then again , Big Leaps are often possible because of all the little steps taken to achieve them. It's such a rapidly developing industry that situation will probably outlive me , but I enjoy reading your posts as you try to fit small topics in to the larger picture for better understanding. :thup:

as a dual 290x owner in xfire.
I have a hard time wanting a new set of gpu's
the only way id buy new is if the 390x or what ever the new flagship is was atleast 50% faster than a single 290x and cooler running also.

at that point if it was 50% faster per card and used less watts then i might buy some for a Crossfire setup.

but if its not atleast 50% i cant see the point.
Also in the same boat. PSU is plenty powerful enough and since I have them custom water cooled, hard to justify a move up. Might just wait for the next generation.

Following up on Ivy's comments, it appears clear to me, that other than the Fury release with HBM, AMD merely tweaked their other gpus to up the memory speed and get a little better efficiency so they can make a big release announcement of a whole "new" line of gpus on the 16th.

I think the GTX970 sale hit them hard and they have to respond with the claim of a whole new lineup.

I had a GTX970 and sent it back when I discovered the Nvidia trick with the 3.5 + .5 memory allocation. Ran great but what I perceive to be deception really galled me. I had the GTX970 in my 3770k rig and replaced it with a less expensive but solid Sapphire Tri-X OC R9-290, like the 2 in my rig below.

Right now the high end seems to be the GTX980 Ti but we will have to see if the Fury X can push it out of the way.

The apparent popularity of the GTX 980 Ti will not allow AMD to gain ground only by the Fury/Fury X. Somehow, AMD has to convince potential buyers that the rest of their lineup is much better that the 960/970/980TI.

Tough sledding ahead for AMD. I hope they make it.

Last edited:
Looks like next AMD fail. They are good in being bad lately ;) ... If they really want to release refreshed versions of already refreshed cards then their end is near. It clearly looks like they have huge problems to design and manufacture anything new which wouldn't bring loses.
R7 370 is just a joke ... it's HD78xx released as R9 270/x and now the same after not big changes as 370 ? 5 years the same stuff. Already everything below R9 290 was refreshed. Now the same story.

Most gamers are buying cheaper graphics cards regardless how it looks like on OCF or other forums. High end is like 1-3% of the market. So AMD new graphics cards will be only next average marketing action so they can post a baner on their site that they have the fastest GPU for next month or two. In expected price probably as successful as 295x2.
All who have cheaper series from last 3-4 years don't really have to make upgrades with such products on the market. The same with cheaper nvidia but at least they're designing new, less power hungry chips. GTX960 is a good graphics but still overpriced. You can buy faster and ~30% cheaper cards from auctions, many still on warranty.

It used to be like:
~$200 = you can play every new game, also in high details
~$300 = you can play every new game in max details
~$500+ = max details and don't have to replace it for next 2 years

Now it's like:
~$200 = waste of money
~$300 = waste of money
~$500 = here you start playing new games
~$600+ = waste of money

Today I was wondering how to tell one client that ~$300 graphics card is minimum to play new games in higher details but not even at large display. ~$300 is the price of GTX960 in Poland right now.

Today I was wondering how to tell one client that ~$300 graphics card is minimum to play new games in higher details but not even at large display. ~$300 is the price of GTX960 in Poland right now.

A year ago, maybe more, I bought my R9 290 card and it handles things pretty well for a $350 card at the time. I can play games at 1080p maxed out or nearly maxed out settings, there is even games, newer, that I can play at 4k with very little setting reduction. So even saying a ~$300 is a waste is not saying it right, it might be a starting point but not the best. $300-500 range seems to be the sweet spot with GPU's anything more its a hit/miss on.

For example the GTX980 and GTX980 Ti while both good picks, advantage of the GTX980 Ti is the extra power, and for once its actually close to the curve for the performance/price between the 2 cards.

Trying to make 1080p run at more fps is like beating a dead horse. AMD was in the lead at getting resolutions higher than 1080p to run faster. I am hoping that all of the new improvements are specifically aimed at getting higher resolutions to run faster. If the new AMD cards are the no-brainer single card solution for running at 4K resolutions, then I think AMD is going to be alright.

Wait just so I understand.
The 390 is a Dx12, 8GB DDR5 290x?
While the fury and furyX are the new cards with HBM?

Hard to say exactly. If 390 is similar to 290 with the same TDP but has 8GB memory then it's already a fail. Most users don't even need 4GB vram , not to mention about 8GB. What most wish is additional performance at lower TDP and quiet cooling. 95% gamers are still playing in 1080p or less and will play like that for next ~2 years.

We haven't really seen any new card so it's hard to say what will be good or bad or if leaks are true. There is next delay in premiere what only works against AMD. AMD didn't say any official date but cards were expected at the end of 2014 and they constantly move it to "next month" for over half year.

Please correct me if I'm wrong:
AMD is still using 28nm to make their graphic's chips. Both AMD and NVidia have been stuck @ 28nm for several years, this is the reason for all the re-branding. I know that AMD has been @ 28nm since the 7970 release and their GCN Uarch was better than what NVidia had. In the several years that the two companies have been stuck @ 28nm, NVidia finally developed a mainstream Uarch to compete against the GCN.
The hardest part that I have found with my 290X, is trying to keep it from throttling. I feel that the card runs way to HOT, reminds me of the HD-2900. Do you guys know if the NVidia cards have the same problem???
There is a point, when there's no more tweaking available when you have been stuck @ 28nm for this long. If the New AMD Flagship Video Card (Fury/Fury X) is also done on a 28nm scale, I feel that it will be BIG and run HOT. This is the only way they can try to stay competitive with NVidia until TSMC or GF releases a new smaller wafer. Has anyone heard rumors of a 20nm node from TSMC or GF??? I know that the NEW AMD CPU is suppost to be on a 14nm node.

nvidia's cards run cooler due to their generally lower TDP compared to the AMD equivalents.

I wouldn't say several, perhaps a couple/few years. The 7970 was released 1/2012 making it almost 3.5 years old. Maybe I have a different idea of what 'several' means, LOL! (Couple = 2/3, Few = 4/5/6, Several = 7,8,9)

Nvidia cards throttle too, but for different reasons, namely, their power limits. Temperatures are not much of an issue with most of them (with aftermarket cooling).

In last maybe 7 years AMD was never better than Nvidia for more than ~2 months. They were picking bad time for premieres so Nvidia was beating them couple of weeks later.
Really manufacture process is not the issue. Look how Nvidia dropped TDP and how AMD has problem to keep it at reasonable level. Worse is that AMD is not improving their cards much , they improve drivers and there you have that 10-15% performance gain.

Because of AMD problems, Nvidia doesn't care to release final products in reasonable price. They made almost the same with GTX600, GTX700 and now with GTX900. I mean they are bumping price for lower chips and mark them as top of the line. 3-4 months later they release higher chip but these lower are not getting cheaper. So all who want to get best of the best GFX are paying twice. Those who think they get something good in reasonable price are disappointed - here I mean GTX660, GTX760, GTX960 which supposed to be cheaper or simply faster. Most users have no idea how good are these cards in real even though there are reviews around.

here is one new link about new cards:

http://www.techpowerup.com/213351/g...ms-stream-processor-count-of-radeon-fury.html

7970 stomped the 580 and 680 for quite some time imho. that's more than 2 months its currently more on par with a 780 than the 770 also.

I've seen 290 *non-x* @ under 300$ many times in the last year or so I wouldn't say they are junk esp if its non reference , They can play basically any game at 1080 ,1440 Great & in most cases 4k with reasonable fps.
The X series 290's are only mildly better tbh.

I think some of you are underestimating how close all the current gpu's aside from the 780TI and TitanX both of which recently released.

AMD does need to die shrink to remain competitive but the improvements from the leaked specs I've seen on the fury cards seem to be a good step , AMD needs a closely followed TICk / Die shrink and should be doing alot better.

Who knows when they do die shrink if they develop it right they may be able to do 14 nm like pascal is rumored to be going too.

At this point anything more efficient would help with at-least their heat issues.

7970 stomped the 580 and 680 for quite some time imho. that's more than 2 months its currently more on par with a 780 than the 770 also..
The minute it (680) came out it beat it (7970)...it (7970) had a ~2 month ride at the top. ;)

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_680/27.html

There was a performance driver that came out and the GHz edition that made it trade punches with the 680/770.

It should stomp the 580... that was the previous generation of cards.

Last edited:
Performance looks weird, like something between GTX970 and TitanX. I wonder what will be closer in games and popular benchmarks.

Back