• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New cards from AMD in two weeks ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
If these results are true then it's not bad but I'm not impressed. I guess that all depends from price.
What I dislike is TDP. Nvidia is going down to ~200W while AMD keeps ~300W. I wouldn't care but my ss cooling or even dice are overloaded by 300W gfx cards :(

AMD went UP to 300W. 290/290x were LISTED as 250W cards (reality was a bit more it appears). But these are LISTED at 300W...

Wow that's high if accurate to be a 300W tdp. Can only imagine what that will balloon too with overclocks.

I would venture to guess with 6 or 8 core cpu and 2x of these with max overclock one would be looking at a 1600 watt unit of high quality

Benching 2x of these with a big CPU on cold one would probably need two power supplies

I would venture to guess with 6 or 8 core cpu and 2x of these with max overclock one would be looking at a 1600 watt unit of high quality

Benching 2x of these with a big CPU on cold one would probably need two power supplies

Most definitely and begs to wonder if 1K will be enough to really push 2 of those cards??

For a 300W card with power limits? Naa.. Even if the cards have a 150% power limit on it (which is extremely high), that is only 450W each at MAX. I have to imagine that limit will be a lot less than that. I would think that intel/AMD, a quality 1KW PSU would be plenty.

Now, benching cold is a completely different story and that would be when the 1.6KW PSU (one of them) would be useful.

But it all depends on the power limit set on the cards. ;)

Well for me... what should i say, i may be upgrading to a new machine soon, as soon as Skylake is out, so the entire GPU matter start to become interesting. But so far AMDs new stuff looks rather disappointing and worste case is that i simply pick a upgraded Maxwell (better than GTX 970). Not truly tasty because i was hoping for some better competition... and a higher "change" in the market. Currently it seems rather stuck...

Still... so far not much is certain, i hope there is some unrevealed potential left and as usual... wait and checking out what happens. Certainly, in term Nvidia can pull the same performance at less TDP, then the winner is clear. AMD could only ask for lower prices but at 300W+ TDP the heat is crazy and it wont anymore become a "quiet" card and in that term, the power will cost much more than just "coins"; it will even produce more noise, another cost.

Last edited:
HMMMMM.... looks like another 970 for me.
I had hope, but once again amd has crushed me.

I'm not jumping ship just yet, want to see what the actual release cards can do (these are just teaser leaks), shall wait to see the reviews first before I make rash decisions on the next build (I really should finish this one first).

I will admit I am disappointed that AMD hasn't comes to terms in lowering TDP though, I could live in NVidias shadow as long as I can save at the "Wall Socket"

Seeing how close we reportedly are to release... I don't expect those results to be much different at all.

The worst thing about the power use isn't the $ (if you do the math, its a couple more dollars /month if you game for a few hours every day, its having to dissipate all that heat. Now, if you fold/mine or whatever and run it 24/7, then it would be more of a monetary issue.

Seeing how close we reportedly are to release... I don't expect those results to be much different at all.

The worst thing about the power use isn't the $ (if you do the math, its a couple more dollars /month if you game for a few hours every day, its having to dissipate all that heat. Now, if you fold/mine or whatever and run it 24/7, then it would be more of a monetary issue.

I was just about to say the same thing.
I don't mind the bit of extra $ it costs , Its the heating up of the room in mid summer thats a killer.
I have a AC unit now in my pc room for summer but it still makes things uncomfortable any other time of the year where i dont want the AC unit in the window letting in cold air when furnace is in use.

anyhow yea i agree my biggest complaint about the high wattage use is heat not $ on power bill since its only a couple bux more a month with the amount i game lately.

In term the leaked stuff is true, it looks like this:

Radeon (Fury X): 300 TDP
980 TI: 250 TDP at almost equal performance, in term same cooler attached the noise will be reduced, clear winner.

Other stuff im not so certain but i still have to point at the probably rather bad "launch driver" from AMD, while Nvidia got pretty mature Maxwell drivers for sure. So in long term the Fury might be a bit ahead of 980 TI at raw performance, but as usual... Radeon cards tend to be "volcano spec", hot and noisy and in need of crazy cooling. Maxwell may stay more effective but performance could be a bit lower, for majority probably not a good reason, heat is higher issue than a small gain of 5-10% or so.

Anyway, the reason is in the "package"; in term the Fury X will be supplied with native micro water cooler, it may give some interesting package to some customers that might even work out to keep the noise at a "acceptable" level with small OC headroom. So it may depend on package and possible driver improvements too. Still...Nvidia is simply ahead of AMD, considering the Maxwell is out for so long already... Nvidia could release a even better architecture or a improvement of Maxwell in order to crunch AMD instantly... AMD simply is not catching up. However, it doesnt mean there isnt a interesting "package" or "offer" possible.

But the other cards (non Fury and/or special package) and the "several times rebrands", i am sorry to say... it cant be considered a "real deal" in the eyes of most enthusiasts nor "real gamers", no matter the price, the stuff is simply way less effective than Maxwell and in that term a crazy noise and power hog and today less and less customers are having joy using such stuff. I expect the price to be around 600-900 USD (dependable on type of Fury), but nowadays i am used to "expensive" gamer cards, it is hard to undercut the 400 USD mark for real gamer cards (970 and up).

Last edited:
Ahhhh , AMD drivers. I installed the 15.5 Beta and the black screens have returned. I hope they work better for the new cards , because they appear to be a step back for my rinky dink R7 260x. :(

Indeed... i guess a micro water cooler may handle the heat/noise as long as no crazy OC, but the launch drivers surely may become a bit messy and not comparable to the stuff Nvidia is able to offer. Although... there is room for improvements and you cant improve something that is already great... so at least there is potential for AMD. Its good to be aware of but i think it may be fixed at some early point (some months after).

Back