• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New cards from AMD in two weeks ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The 390x is in between a 970 and 980, but with the price drop of the 980, it's no contest. The 390 should be near identical to the 970, but has 8gb vice 3.5gb.

Not sure who in their right mind would get a 390x, it just doesn't make any sense what so ever. New r9 290x 8gb cards are 330-350$ and are pretty much just the same.

Epic fail on amd unless they have a massive driver update thst makes them perform much better.

I suspect the 380 to be a refresh of the 285. That would make a LOT of sense, and more vram would basically knock the 960 out of any competition. Let's hope the Radeon fury will be more exciting.

AFAIK there won't be next refresh of 7970/280X. There will be for 7870/270X. They rebrand the same chip next time ... 4th year in a row ? They think that customers are really so stupid ?
Even if they do that then I see no competition for GTX960 just because of much higher TDP ( nearly twice as high ) and in this performance range you don't really need much more than 2GB memory. There are also 4GB GTX960.

390/390X with current TDP and ridiculous 8GB memory is total fail. Barely anyone needs more than 3GB. 1.5GB is good enough for most games and they make 8GB card. They could make it 4GB but at much lower price. It's not a competition for GTX970 at all, not to mention GTX980.
On the other hand I can't really see GTX980 prices falling. It barely moved, especially in EU. About $20-40 for some series ... average price is still about $700 in local stores.

AFAIK there won't be next refresh of 7970/280X. There will be for 7870/270X. They rebrand the same chip next time ... 4th year in a row ? They think that customers are really so stupid ?
Even if they do that then I see no competition for GTX960 just because of much higher TDP ( nearly twice as high ) and in this performance range you don't really need much more than 2GB memory. There are also 4GB GTX960.

390/390X with current TDP and ridiculous 8GB memory is total fail. Barely anyone needs more than 3GB. 1.5GB is good enough for most games and they make 8GB card. They could make it 4GB but at much lower price. It's not a competition for GTX970 at all, not to mention GTX980.
On the other hand I can't really see GTX980 prices falling. It barely moved, especially in EU. About $20-40 for some series ... average price is still about $700 in local stores.

the 285, not the 280 boss.

Find myself even more interested in gpu's, cpu's and information processing after watching.......

direct X 12 is hyped up considerably. we will see this fall.
takes advantage of previous idle cpu processing power sitting on the desktop.

VR headsets going to require gpu as r9 290 minimum comparison and a pc connection.
2016 Q1
:thup::thup:

still uncertain about exporting some of these machine operators, from anywhere to anywhere.
lol.........

The pricing seems very decent on these cards, which is nice to see. Also that Nano card looks great for small builds!

For sure. From their claims, it would be 290x power with ~125w tdp. ITX builds would love a card like that imo. Probably like 500$ though haha (haven't seen pricing on it yet).

Found the stream on youtube.

290X were going above 300W under load. TDP only on paper. On the other hand all new Nvidia cards have much lower TDP in specs than it's in real. I just can't believe they will beat GTX960 with this Nano card at similar TDP keeping old technology. I haven't seen details but if it won't be totally new core then it will be a fail.
Talking about 1440p in low end cards makes me laugh ...
Have to wait couple of days more. I only hope that Fury will be better than I expect.

290X were going above 300W under load. TDP only on paper. On the other hand all new Nvidia cards have much lower TDP in specs than it's in real. I just can't believe they will beat GTX960 with this Nano card at similar TDP keeping old technology. I haven't seen details but if it won't be totally new core then it will be a fail.
Talking about 1440p in low end cards makes me laugh ...
Have to wait couple of days more. I only hope that Fury will be better than I expect.

??? I don't think you're reading the right article boss. Fury is already released. R9 nano is in no way a competitor to a gtx 960 either

??? I don't think you're reading the right article boss. Fury is already released. R9 nano is in no way a competitor to a gtx 960 either

Maybe I should make bigger breaks in my post. It was all about Anand article ...

How Fury is already released ? -> " Fury (vanilla) for $549 on July 14th" , it's still June ...
Nano = 50% of 290X power , what means it can compete with GTX960 in power usage and performance ... depends how true is what AMD says.

Speaking about low end cards I meant mentioned R9 380 and lower cards -> "Next is the R9 380. AMD claims it can power 1440p. Starts at $199, up to 4GB VRAM"

Maybe I should make bigger breaks in my post. It was all about Anand article ...

How Fury is already released ? -> " Fury (vanilla) for $549 on July 14th" , it's still June ...
Nano = 50% of 290X power , what means it can compete with GTX960 in power usage and performance ... depends how true is what AMD says.

Speaking about low end cards I meant mentioned R9 380 and lower cards -> "Next is the R9 380. AMD claims it can power 1440p. Starts at $199, up to 4GB VRAM"

Tech specs are released now... few benchmarks out there already, go have a gander. Didn't mean I can go physically buy one.

Nano = 290x PERFORMANCE at half the wattage. That means it will absolutely annihilate a gtx 960 AND a 970. Given the HBM with it, it should absolutely crush everything nvidia has up to the 980 (as long as they arent bloating anything, which they appear to not be doing). edit: Its clearly going to cost more than both of them naturally, so thats a thing to consider as well. How much is the question I guess.

1440p on a 380 seems entirely reasonable. If they put say a 290's level of performance into it, it'll be plenty with a 4gb version.

Last edited:
It's not july. ;)

And the nano should be in the ballpark of the fury, not fury x.

390 = 290 and 390x = 290x (with more vram)

I need to get this article published, lol!

Last edited:
I don't think I will believe any Benchmarks until I see video of a reviewer holding it in his hands and then showing the results. Even then it still won't mean much cause they might not have the same test system they did other benchmarks on. It's all a crap-shoot anyways, just put a blindfold on when you enter the store and hope you get the right card. Or pick your flavor and drink the tea. I'm personally partial to ATI (I mean AMD). Things look promising though, but probably best to wait till DX12 comes and see what games will use/support it and let those bugs get worked out, by them HBM2 will be commonplace and this will all have been for naught. Go AMD, so glad they didn't come out with a $1k card like rumors had it.

Tech specs are released now... few benchmarks out there already, go have a gander. Didn't mean I can go physically buy one.

Nano = 290x PERFORMANCE at half the wattage. That means it will absolutely annihilate a gtx 960 AND a 970. Given the HBM with it, it should absolutely crush everything nvidia has up to the 980 (as long as they arent bloating anything, which they appear to not be doing). edit: Its clearly going to cost more than both of them naturally, so thats a thing to consider as well. How much is the question I guess.

1440p on a 380 seems entirely reasonable. If they put say a 290's level of performance into it, it'll be plenty with a 4gb version.

Where have you found info that Nano will be 290X performance at half wattage ? There is only info about half power of 290X. Half power in the same old technology is still half of the performance.
There is info like:
"Sounds like it's significantly cut down from full Fiji" - it can be 30%, 50% slower or more. GTX960 performance is now a bit higher than half of the 290X performance while it has ~140W. Fiji will be ~300W so Nano will be ~150W ( on paper ). How can it "absolutely annihilate a gtx 960 AND a 970" ... especially when GTX970 is already similar performance as 290X. In best case it will be as good as GTX970, in worst as good as GTX960.

R9 380 will be about 280X performance. It simply won't be reasonable for 1440p when performance is about the same as GTX960 and GTX960 is simply too slow for most titles in this display resolution.
Results in 3DMark but performance scalling in games should be similar http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1865643

Thought all they said regarding Nano is that it has 200% performance / watt of the 290x.

Thought all they said regarding Nano is that it has 200% performance / watt of the 290x.
That's what I heard them say, so if it is 200%perf/w compared to a 290X then at half the power its performance is equal to the 190X. I was hopin for the Fury X to be 200% the perf/w of the 290X and the same wattage or maybe a lil less, got to keep that overhead for OC'ing right.

Back