• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New comp build ?'s

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cdyoung1985

So I built 1 comp back about 6-7 yrs ago, and believe it or not, it's completely out of date, and not really upgradeable, other than the case. Was on here a long time ago asking about a budget build, and got great advice, then lost my job and couldn't do the build. Here I sit today, after restarting my comp when I got home from work, and it not starting back up, then woke up and it worked, however, I'm not too trusting on it lasting much more than this minute....

So the 14th I'm going to have about $800 at this point, quite possibly more, pretty sure I'm working another 7 day week, which would put me near $1k, and I need to build a new comp, looking at:
Asrock z77 Extreme 4 $120 Newegg
I5-3570K $210 Newegg
CORSAIR CX600 $50 Newegg
G.SKILL Ripjaws 8 gb $80 Newegg
Raedon 7870 GHZ ED. $330 Newegg
Sata 3 1tb HDD 128 mb cache

Originally the 7870 was only $250, but now can't find it cheaper than $330... All of that look like the best bang for the buck? If there's something quite comparable, I can sacrifice some performance to save money, but also if there's something way better for a few bucks, or a better place to get it, I can go up a bit in price, though cheap is my goal

Hard to argue with that build... are you gaming/overclock?
CPU cooler?
Are you familiar with PCpartpicker? It will help you find best prices.

I think the 4670k is a better value for a tiny extra.

Put something together for you, I went with the newer Haswell intel line. I also didn't pick a AMD gpu because most of them are overpriced now due to Coin Mining. The GTX 760 will outperform the 7870 and it's $100.00 cheaper.
Capture.PNG
Capture1.PNG

Hard to argue with that build... are you gaming/overclock?
CPU cooler?
Are you familiar with PCpartpicker? It will help you find best prices.

I think the 4670k is a better value for a tiny extra.

I'm going to be gaming and also doing some engineering, just for my own personal use, but I figure if my current comp can run Solidworks, though slowly, the new one should do it no problem, with as crappy as this thing is, it's amazing how well it's worked all this time lol, only thing I updated was the video card, it got the GT220 a while back....

Put something together for you, I went with the newer Haswell intel line. I also didn't pick a AMD gpu because most of them are overpriced now due to Coin Mining. The GTX 760 will outperform the 7870 and it's $100.00 cheaper.
View attachment 140338
View attachment 140339

Will that card do the 3 tv thing? Not necessarily on it's own, but if I get another can I? Wanting to do that eventually... Where did you find all that? Looks like a hell of a build, and good price too, think it's about $100 more than my original plan, but sounds better

So I built 1 comp back about 6-7 yrs ago, and believe it or not, it's completely out of date, and not really upgradeable, other than the case. Was on here a long time ago asking about a budget build, and got great advice, then lost my job and couldn't do the build. Here I sit today, after restarting my comp when I got home from work, and it not starting back up, then woke up and it worked, however, I'm not too trusting on it lasting much more than this minute....

So the 14th I'm going to have about $800 at this point, quite possibly more, pretty sure I'm working another 7 day week, which would put me near $1k, and I need to build a new comp, looking at:
I5-3570K $210 Newegg
CORSAIR CX600 $50 Newegg

Originally the 7870 was only $250, but now can't find it cheaper than $330... All of that look like the best bang for the buck? If there's something quite comparable, I can sacrifice some performance to save money, but also if there's something way better for a few bucks, or a better place to get it, I can go up a bit in price, though cheap is my goal
Id go Z87 based board and 4670K. No point in slightly older (but still great) technology. It shouldn't cost you much more to do it...

Also should probably get a cpu cooler too huh?
It comes with one, but if you are overclocking, yes. Cheap, but good bang for the buck is Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo.

You also may want to look at Nvidia as AMD cards are WAY overpriced now. For $330 you can get a 770 I believe which kills a 7870. ;)

Are you anywhere near the Microcenter in Detroit/Madison Heights?

Also should probably get a cpu cooler too huh?
If you plan on overclocking, yes. If you don't then the stock one will be fine.

Will that card do the 3 tv thing?
You can run up to 4 monitors but if your gaming and plan on running the game on 3 monitors you're probably going to need a stronger card. If gaming on only one screen then it will fine.

Where did you find all that?
I priced it all up at newegg but if you can find better prices by all means buy them there.

Are you anywhere near the Microcenter in Detroit/Madison Heights?

If you plan on overclocking, yes. If you don't then the stock one will be fine.

You can run up to 4 monitors but if your gaming and plan on running the game on 3 monitors you're probably going to need a stronger card. If gaming on only one screen then it will fine.

I priced it all up at newegg but if you can find better prices by all means buy them there.

I'm on the other side of the state, near Grand Rapids in SW MI... What MB is that you chose? is that 16 GB ram? Would 8 be good for a while at least? Rather new to building lol

For the average user 8g of ram is overkill, unless you're using programs that will use up to 85% of your installed ram getting more is just a waste. If you want to cut costs you could even go with 4g and would in most cases still be fine.

I5-3570K $210 Newegg
CORSAIR CX600 $50 Newegg

at $330, you might as well get a GTX 770 instead, its in the same price zone for teh 4 GB model

Back