• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Computer build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pigpottomus

Hey all, just wondering, i have a AMD Phenom II X4 965BE, and was wondering if it would be good to go with either SLI GTX 660 (Non Ti), or Single GTX 660 (Non Ti Also)? Asked a buddy of mine and he said it would be alright, as long as it's not the GTX 660 Ti's. Oh yeah, Mobo is ASrock 970 Extreme 4, if it would have to do anything. Haven't got all the items for it yet, but i will soon enough. This is a NEW build.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
why did your buddy say the 965BE wouldn't be "good" with a 660 Ti? That makes no sense... your CPU would be "good" with any GPU, although a single, non-oc'ed 965 might slightly bottleneck a high-end dual GPU setup like SLI 680's or 7970's.

get the best GPU you can afford to get...

You may want to think about that PSU though...

Yeah, not really sure why he said that, but he said this " i guess the 660 should be ok'ed only if you're not going over the limit". But yes, i've been looking around at Psu's. i basically asked him if the SLI or single GTX 660 would bottleneck the Cpu.

I'm with caviman2201, the 965 is a fine cpu, pair it with just about ant gpu setup you like.
i agree with the psu change also.

And if you haven't already, consider OC'ing the 965... should be able to hit 3.8, maybe 4.0 with good air cooling - that will certainly help erase any bottlenecks.

And if you haven't already, consider OC'ing the 965... should be able to hit 3.8, maybe 4.0 with good air cooling - that will certainly help erase any bottlenecks.

Thanks for letting me know, What Cpu cooler would you recommend? for around 30-60 bucks?

I'm using the CM hyper 212 and for $30 you can't go wrong. @ 3.9 my 965 will just peek at 50° under prime load.
EDIT I have a push pull going and it's fairly quiet.

Alright thanks a lot guys, i was thinking about getting the CM Hyper 212 EVO, for the current build and the new build.

Let us know if you need/want a PSU suggestion... I wouldn't go setting up a nice rig with a suspect PSU. I've made that mistake and I'll never make it again.

Back