• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Computer Overclock Help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LevelOne

Alright so I have recently built a brand new computer and I wish to know how to overclock it. Unfortunately, I have no idea where or how to start :|

Here is my setup:
Antec 900 Case
2x GSkill 4GB Ram (they are the 1600 mhz ones)
FX-8150 Black Edition AMD 8 core
Corsair 750 Watt PCU
Cooler Master Hyper 212+
1x 1TB Seagate 7200 rpm HDD
1x 1.5TB Wester Digital 7200 rpm HDD
1x 30GB OCZ SSD (for caching)
Asus Crosshair V Motherboard
Kaze Master temperature/fan control unit
Asus SATA DVD/RW Optical Drive

My video card for the moment is just a little 40 dollar GT220,
but I am getting two Radeon 6970's as soon as I can afford it.

I feel like my computer has the potential to be a monster...I just don't know how to make it so :|

Have you installed the basic monitoring programs, HWMonitor, Cpu-z and Prime95 which is used to test the stability of OCs? If you haven't done so go ahead and install all three of those. Next OCing BD CPUs is pretty easy if your BIOS has the options, just go into the BIOS and bump up the multiplier a step at a time, if your get the BSOD you may need to add a little more CPU voltage. You can also change the NB clock but doing via the multiplier is pretty easy. There are also OC stickies on this site that can give you lots of information. Keep an eye on your core temps while overclocking.

Good Luck

I have successfully overclocked my computer to 4.1 GHZ and everything is running smoothly :D

cores are running at just about 20 degrees and the case is at 33 degrees. Everything seems to be running great. Thanks for the help :]

With HWMonitor (the name of a freeware temp and voltage monitoring program) open on your desktop, please run the Prime95 blend test for 20 minutes and report back to us with your max "core" temps and max "CPU" temps.

after 20 minutes my max temps are
CPU: 63 degrees
All 8 cores are 50 degrees max, but as soon as i opened my door they dropped to 30 degrees. The core dropped to 55 when I opened the door as well.

If the CPU temp is 63 degrees, what were the core temps then? And if your temp drops when you remove the case side panel, that's a sure sign you have poor case ventilation.

No, not my case door. My bedroom door. My room is pretty small.

My core temps were at 50. All 8 of them.

Alright. I want to go higher. 4.1 GHZ is fast...but I want to know how far I can push it. My goal is 4.6 but 4.4 is acceptable. I don't want to burn it down to the ground. I can't see any more options in the UEFI BIOS that make it go higher. I'm not sure how to do this and I can't seem to find anymore options as I said before. Please and Thanks for your help =]

Back