• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Crucial Ballistix Elite DDR4 Memory Dramatically Boosts Gaming Performance

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Doesn't take high-speed ram. ;)

Anybody rocking 2133 to 1600 is getting ~99.9% of FPS anyway. Ddr4 is good for lower voltage.. starts at 1.2v iirc.

Doesn't take high-speed ram. ;)

Anybody rocking 2133 to 1600 is getting ~99.9% of FPS anyway. Ddr4 is good for lower voltage.. starts at 1.2v iirc.

well considering that DDR3-1600 isnt jdec spec or is it now? if it isnt then i consider that high speed, since JDEC spec stops at DDR3-1333. lower voltage is always nice but what would it do with 1.5v? :O

Last edited:
im going to have read that later, my first thought without reading it is.... are you high? how does coding have any effect on performance of ram. the speed is the speed and timngs+speed determine BW. my samsung ECO DDR3-1600 is nice and cool to the touch with no heatsink or fan blowing on them. would be nice if we had the rest of the specs to compare.... ie DDR3 voltage and current to DDR4 voltage and current. as in it would make no sense to say DDR4 is less power hungry if its 1.2v@10amps vs DDR3 at [email protected] or 1.5v@8amps. at the end of the day its all still 12watts of power being used.

just some thought provoking stuff...

Higher density modules more parallel addressing. Was what I thought they were suggesting.

And no sadly im not high... Doctors took all the good stuff off me. Lol

They term "systems of tomorrow" which suggests software that exploits its potential when they get around to tweaking the memory handling. In there context.

Maybe just hype...

Edit: in a way its like having an eight core android device when they only code for four.

im going to have read that later, my first thought without reading it is.... are you high? how does coding have any effect on performance of ram. the speed is the speed and timngs+speed determine BW. my samsung ECO DDR3-1600 is nice and cool to the touch with no heatsink or fan blowing on them. would be nice if we had the rest of the specs to compare.... ie DDR3 voltage and current to DDR4 voltage and current. as in it would make no sense to say DDR4 is less power hungry if its 1.2v@10amps vs DDR3 at [email protected] or 1.5v@8amps. at the end of the day its all still 12watts of power being used.

just some thought provoking stuff...
All great points.. nice to have you active again! :attn:

That said, here is a link that may get the answer. I'm mobile or I'd.log in myself and get the whitepaper. ;)

http://techreport.com/news/23627/final-ddr4-specification-published

White paper snippet:

include: a pseudo open drain interface on the DQ bus, a geardown mode for 2,667 MT/s per DQ and beyond, bank group architecture, internally generated VrefDQ and improved training modes.
The DDR4 architecture is an 8n prefetch with two or four selectable bank groups. This design will permit the DDR4 memory devices to have separate activation, read, write or refresh operations underway in each unique bank group. This concept will also improve overall memory efficiency and bandwidth, especially when small memory granularities are used.

-----------

So nope sadly im not high... Nor has anyone written anything to exploit ddr4 potential :(

Edit: as for power its four in the morning so I'll read about it when someone else has figured it out later :D

Last edited:
Higher density modules more parallel addressing. Was what I thought they were suggesting.

And no sadly im not high... Doctors took all the good stuff off me. Lol

They term "systems of tomorrow" which suggests software that exploits its potential when they get around to tweaking the memory handling. In there context.

Maybe just hype...

Edit: in a way its like having an eight core android device when they only code for four.
there really is no way coding can make a difference in bw of the ram. now looking at the other sub systems, say like when ram size gets large enough. some ssd's makers might user software to make ram disks for storage of alot of small writes then send it off to the ssd in one large batch. that way you dont get it with alot of little single 4k writes. to where things are slow for ssd's, would then change it to a larger batch where they excel better. sadly i have not read it still, got a bit distracted or im a bit ADD, one of the two. lol

All great points.. nice to have you active again! :attn:

That said, here is a link that may get the answer. I'm mobile or I'd.log in myself and get the whitepaper. ;)

http://techreport.com/news/23627/final-ddr4-specification-published
cant get the specs unless you register with them, frankly i dont wanna :p
Am i the only one with challenging Q's? i mean real thought provoking "is this what they say it is?" type of questions?

White paper snippet:

include: a pseudo open drain interface on the DQ bus, a geardown mode for 2,667 MT/s per DQ and beyond, bank group architecture, internally generated VrefDQ and improved training modes.
The DDR4 architecture is an 8n prefetch with two or four selectable bank groups. This design will permit the DDR4 memory devices to have separate activation, read, write or refresh operations underway in each unique bank group. This concept will also improve overall memory efficiency and bandwidth, especially when small memory granularities are used.

-----------

So nope sadly im not high... Nor has anyone written anything to exploit ddr4 potential :(

Edit: as for power its four in the morning so I'll read about it when someone else has figured it out later :D
i see what there saying, but i still dont see coding/programing doing anything to change performance. as all of that stuff is handled chipset/pch/imc lvl. Of course im not a programmer but some of this coding just seems like a marketing ploy to me to get people to buy into DDR4 more.

The draw back to DDR4 is that you will need to buy in sets of 4 sticks for each separate bank. Upgrading memory will cost 4 sticks at a time.

i see what there saying, but i still dont see coding/programing doing anything to change performance. as all of that stuff is handled chipset/pch/imc lvl. Of course im not a programmer but some of this coding just seems like a marketing ploy to me to get people to buy into DDR4 more.

I think your mayhap right on that... In respect of no coding was the case with ddr3 parallel addressing.

It does suggest it may handle the memory banks in a more independent manner.

So all working processes and thread handles can be accessed and manipulated more independently with the improved assignment.

A small bonus for the programmable interrupt controller.

The power consumption is the intresting question raised.

I dont game but the question there is what currently is the bottleneck in a gaming system?
If its not ram then we can forget ddr4 until its just thrown in everything anyway.

In my useage I would want small modules occupying as many ram slots as possible... But they will never make less than four gb sticks. Music junkie... Not a gamer

assuming your cpu is fast enough, the bottleneck would be the single gpu or sli/cf. in a quad sli/cf config, time to look at cpu again. other wise at some point we might have to look at SSD's, even with them be fast by our terms. they are not fast by say ram speed bw or cpu l3/l2 bw. not only that but ram/l3/l2 dont have the hit in bw in small writes like HD/SDD's do unless looking at them in larger QD's for instance.

Guess the gamers better buy decent gpu's with as much on board ram as they can then.

This is the pictorial promo pdf screenshot
Screenshot_2014-06-03-05-19-38.png

Vague indicator of rams development in general

Memory is one thing, memory controller is the other ... somehow I can't see DDR4 boosting game performance since they're clocked at 2133+ with relaxed timings like CL12-13 and best so far in mass production were DDR3 kits 2400-2666 CL9-10.
Every comparison is so far between DDR3-1600 and DDR4-2133 memory and results are more theoretical. We will see how it's really performing when there will be any full platform available.

oh? Why would that be?

im with you on this one, this isnt the days of 30pin simms, where they had to be installed in pairs or was it quads. just to even be able to use or get the computer to boot. further more, if we needed to buy 4 sticks in the same way. im sure there would have been some news about this with tech sites over the net, but there isnt.

X99 platform will be quad channel but I doubt we will see it in on Z series chipsets as they're always dual channel. I haven't seen any info about quad channel for 100 series chipsets so far.
I'm not sure if first wave of broadwells is prepared to work with DDR4 as they're working on Z9x boards. I wouldn't be surprised if there will be 2 different CPU series with different memory controllers.

Memory manufacturers are forcing to release DDR4 platforms. Intel is not in a hurry in this case as their profit won't change anyway. I doubt that any bigger memory manufacturer is actually counting on DDR4 platform on the AMD side in near future.

The are not. I read somewhere that they are expecting ~12% DDR4 market integration in 2014 in total, with that number skyrocketing in 2015.

I just wonder where he got that from unless he was thinking it was quad channel? But that still begs the same question... where is that information from that it is quad channel?

Well X99 is Haswell-E = enthusiast line which is replacing X79 so it's quad channel and it's the only platform that we can see on the slides and leaks from Intel presenting DDR4 for a while now.

Back