• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED Ballistix Sport LT 4x8GB DDR4-2666 SODIMM - BLS8G4S26BFSDK

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Woomack

Benching Team Leader
Memory prices are high so I'm not buying new memory kits and vendors don't really want to send any samples but I've gotten a chance to play with SODIMM memory from Crucial or maybe Ballistix as it's separated brand for couple of months already.
Here is couple of words about Ballistix Sport LT 8GB DDR4-2666 SODIMM memory. It's designed for laptops but most laptops can't even run at DDR4-2666. I will test it on the ASRock X299E-ITX/AC in quad channel. I guess that some of you already seen at least one result in other forum threads.

BXS_32GBSO26_pht1.jpg

BXS_32GBSO26_pht4.jpg

Memory is based on Micron IC as probably all Sport LT series. Modules are single rank and under the stickers we can find pretty interesting C9BHF. I simply can't find any info about this IC and what is more interesting, all DDR4 on Micron website are listed as D9xxx. Looks like it's something new as even google won't give any good results.
Software also can't read these modules, not to mention that most soft won't read SPD on X299 chipset.

Ballistix Sport LT runs at 2400 when we use auto settings and at 2666 when we set XMP profile. All works without issues and memory is fully stable at declared speed.

BLXSO26_stb.jpg

Overclocking

Since I don't have much time then for now will be only quick tests but I will try to add some more in next weeks.

I was really surprised as all previous Crucial/Micron memory kits I had couldn't pass DDR4-3200 and typical OC was between 2800 and 3200. I was counting on something similar on the Sport LT SODIMM memory but I was wrong.
There is one thing worth to mention. This memory doesn't like tight main timings ( sub-timings can be tight ) and it also doesn't scale good with higher voltage. Actually I haven't seen difference above 1.4V. However, it's scalling great at more relaxed main timings and performance is really good considering the settings.

3200 CL18-19-19-39 1.35V

BLXSO32_oc.jpg

3400 CL18-20-20-40 1.35V

BLXSO34_oc.jpg

3600 CL18-22-22-41 1.35V

BLXSO36_oc.jpg

4000 20-24-24-44 1.35V

BLXSO40_oc.jpg

4000 after some more tweaking CL20-23-23-48 1N 1.40V ( 1.40V but runs at 1.35V for 2 days like that )

BLXSO40oc.jpg

CL20 doesn't look like anything special but it performs about as good as standard size DDR4-4000 at CL17 and it's the first memory on which I was able to pass 110GB/s memory read in AIDA64 even though on full ATX motherboards I could set up to 4100 at tighter main timings.

I think it's interesting memory and wanted to post this thread also because all are looking for Samsung IC which cost much more when there is a chance on well overclocking and performing IC from other brands in much cheaper memory kits.

I assume that barely anyone will buy Skylake-X, X299 ITX motherboard and SODIMM for overclocking ;)

I will try to set something more as I've received special OC BIOS from ASRock just after I made above tests. Would be nice to jump onto DDR4-4200 but I'm not sure if memory is capable of that as one stick is not working past 4100.

Last edited:
I think it's interesting memory and wanted to post this thread also because all are looking for Samsung IC which cost much more when there is a chance on well overclocking and performing IC from other brands in much cheaper memory kits.

I assume that barely anyone will buy Skylake-X, X299 ITX motherboard and SODIMM for overclocking ;)

very nice. i agree its exciting to see a manufacturer other than samsung creating solid ocers! you may start a new trend with results like that!

G.Skill has only Samsung B kits pre-tested only on this one ASRock ITX motherboard ( there is no other platform to run so high clock ). The same Corsair has one 4000 kit also based on Samsung B. Only Anand got review sample from G.Skill of their previous 3800 kit, also barely any website got ASRock ITX board ( many don't even want as they have no SODIMM for tests ).
I couldn't get any other kit and nothing above 3000 is available in EU stores. Crucial was so kind to send 4x8GB 2666 memory which is nice surprise in both overclocking and performance. It's also easy to stabilize at higher frequency. Tested Ballistix Sport memory runs @4000 for 6 days now without breaks and there are no issues at all.
I'm also glad to see that other IC than samsung B can pass 4000. Right now you can tell what IC is in each higher memory kit looking at their general specification. All 3400+ kits have the same IC and OC nearly the same ( there are some factors which are affecting OC but in general all use the same IC ).

Back